• Supporting Member
Posted (edited)

Approaching 5 year mark on my 2019 GT and was reviewing maintenance schedules. Has anyone done a spark plug change on their Niken? All I could find in the maintenance manual was the spark plug specification and that there are 3 needed in the CP3 triple. Looks like spark plugs replacement is every 8k miles or annually. Don’t have a good idea of how hard/easy it is. Anyone have any photos/tips?

Scannable Document on Mar 15, 2024 at 10_32_34 AM.png

Scannable Document on Mar 15, 2024 at 10_36_16 AM.png

Scannable Document 2 on Mar 15, 2024 at 10_36_16 AM.png

Scannable Document on Mar 15, 2024 at 11_03_18 AM.png

Edited by maximNikenGT
Added photos

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

Spark plugs NGK SKU ID: MR9K9, Product ID: 97469, are $7.47 USD per plug direct from NGK: https://www.ngk.com/ngk-97469-mr9k-9-nickel-spark-plug.

Does not include shipping or any applicable taxes. Amazon Prime did not seem to stock these but did have alternate suppliers for $11.52 per plug. 

IMG_0072.png

2019 Niken GT

The plugs may be slightly cheaper ($7.05) at Yamaha dealers that offer online parts ordering.

This is one near me, where I order tons of Yammie bits:

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/5bc0adc187a8661154278a0b/cylinder-head

I usually order "will call" and when they call to pick up my goodies, it's a nice opportunity for a ride and to go slobber on new machines and gear for a while. Poke around locally and see if there's a dealer like this around.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, bwringer said:

The plugs may be slightly cheaper ($7.05) at Yamaha dealers that offer online parts ordering.

This is one near me, where I order tons of Yammie bits:

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/5bc0adc187a8661154278a0b/cylinder-head

I usually order "will call" and when they call to pick up my goodies, it's a nice opportunity for a ride and to go slobber on new machines and gear for a while. Poke around locally and see if there's a dealer like this around.

I actually still order some parts through my local Yamaha dealer, if they don't have it in stock and order it for me, they cover the shipping or freight fee and as a long time customer they give me 10% discount on their mark up which negates any local sales tax.  They are relatively close so I just pick up the part on my way home from work or when I'm out running errands.  So unless I'm ordering from some deep discounted online store, it can be slightly cheaper for me to have my local shop order the part for me.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...

One note to add here: there are a LOT of counterfeit NGK spark plugs out there sold through Amazon, fleaBay, and other online retailers. Same goes for a lot of auto and motorcycle parts not purchased through a reputable dealer or parts store. It's a little astonishing sometimes how low-volume obscure parts still suffer from counterfeits in the supply chain. 

I have no idea whether FJ/Tracer or Niken spark plugs have been counterfeited, but I'm also not taking any chances.

NEVER buy parts from Amazon or fleaBay unless the seller and shipper is a reputable, bona fide dealer; there are dealers who set up legit storefronts on these platforms, but "Ho Li Fook's Super #1 Mega Parts" is a scam.  

• Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, how do you know if the NGK spark plugs are fake? Is it obvious due to mispelling on packaging or the plugs themselves? 

2019 Niken GT

4 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Out of curiosity, how do you know if the NGK spark plugs are fake? Is it obvious due to mispelling on packaging or the plugs themselves? 

I've gotten a few fake things from le amazon, counterfeit us flag (made in China but used local name albeit spelled wrong), ram mount that was clearly not their logo (confirmed though ram), and fake Mobil 10w-40, wasn't even synthetic and had a cheap paper printed label.

I no longer use Amazon for buying things I can source through proper distribution channels.