Packtalk Pro

volfi

Just spotted the new Cardo Packtalk.

IMO - Feels like it's just the same as Edge, but with added accelerometer. And changed colour.
If you are running an Edge, Would you feel the need to re-new your helmet?

No new hardware, though they changed to 45mm speakers. Overflow of stock? ^^

Cost: €469,00

What do you guys think?

Skärmbild 2024-05-21 170053.png

That’s a serious amount of money considering that the Edge is only AU$430 at Chromeburner. 
That makes the Pro AU$900 or so. 

Posted (edited)

I still run a freedom 4+ in our three helmets, I see nothing worth switching until they move to proper uhf channel for coms, the ultimate problem is the crutch of Bluetooth.

Also those JBL speaker "upgrade" is pure marketing bs. All they do is lower the max volume level (very important for those who ride with earplugs) and apply some very rudimentary DSP.

Edited by kilo3

• Supporting Member

Ouch... that's big coin for a communicator. Gotta wonder how much better it really is than the Edge, or even the aging Bold... save for the accelerometer. All support BT and DMC Mesh. Firmware on my Bold was update-able up to last year.

Whatever you choose to buy, find a buddy to split a dual-pack, if available. This is what I did with the Bold. Worked out cheaper.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

I still have the original Packtalk Duo and they work fine for my needs. Replaced a battery on one, $12 and 20 minutes. 

I wear the Uclear speakers at $35 a pair, and have mounts on all my helmets, including two lids for the old Q3 that also are decent

Posted (edited)

Also those JBL speaker "upgrade" is pure marketing bs. All they do is lower the max volume level (very important for those who ride withearplugs) and apply some very rudimentary DSP.

Edited 3 hours ago by kilo3

My own experience has been that the JBL speakers are well worth the upgrade. 
I have the Bold, and the difference to the old system speakers is huge. I can use it with my earplugs in and it’s not just louder, but a lot clearer with actual good base.
I never bothered playing music before as it was too tinny. Also had to stop to take phone calls, now I can use the phone up to motorway speeds no problem. 
I can talk to all my 6 mates on a group ride from front to rear as long as we’re all around 100m apart from each other. 
Best thing since sliced bread. 
Wouldn't bother upgrading from my  Bold though, specially at that price. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 5/21/2024 at 11:04 AM, volfi said:

No new hardware, though they changed to 45mm speakers. Overflow of stock? ^^

I'd bet this is exactly the case. They over forecasted their demand like many companies these days due to not properly analyzing and understanding what drives consumers to buy their product.

Now they have to find a way to sell all this overflow, so they borrowed a feature that was likely being developed for the next iteration of Packtalk (accelerometer) and slapped it on the old/current form factor and are trying to charge a premium on the product to pad for the projected cost they'll have to eat when they can't move all their old materials.

If they really want to move units while saturating the market with their product they should just simply lower the MSRP of the Edge. Similar to how literally every other tech company does it: Apple lowered the MSRP of their M1 MacBook Air from $999 to $699 to clear old inventory dating back to 2020. Samsung will lower the current gen Galaxy phones MSRP when the next gen comes out, etc.

On 5/22/2024 at 5:34 PM, jthayer09 said:

If they really want to move units while saturating the market with their product they should just simply lower the MSRP of the Edge. Similar to how literally every other tech company does it: Apple lowered the MSRP of their M1 MacBook Air from $999 to $699 to clear old inventory dating back to 2020. Samsung will lower the current gen Galaxy phones MSRP when the next gen comes out, etc.

I believe in store, they still have stock of the edge and won't even care to refill with the new. What happened with the Customs model? Not even seen it ANY store even online? A bad hit to subscribe for functions.

I believe the Edge will hold just as the old bold version. Until a real new intercom system comes which has stability / better connection.

That Cardo not have focused on bringing some real in-ear headphones for their products instead of the speakers is mindblowing to me. Deliver something with good ear protection, good sound. noise cancellation - Too much to ask?

I "happily" spend 200 Euro on advanced headphones, protection etc.

I have always had Sena, but I am now leaning hard towards the Uclear offerings, my riding buds all have the Cardo's.

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, volfi said:

I believe in store, they still have stock of the edge and won't even care to refill with the new. What happened with the Customs model? Not even seen it ANY store even online? A bad hit to subscribe for functions.

I believe the Edge will hold just as the old bold version. Until a real new intercom system comes which has stability / better connection.

That Cardo not have focused on bringing some real in-ear headphones for their products instead of the speakers is mindblowing to me. Deliver something with good ear protection, good sound. noise cancellation - Too much to ask?

I "happily" spend 200 Euro on advanced headphones, protection etc.

That would be really cool, but I think there are way too many variables when it comes to hearing protection and noise canceling in a helmet. The helmet shape/style/quality, head shape, ear shape, bike windscreen, etc... It would be a significant challenge to come up with a product that works broadly for the majority of riders. 

I have tried various noise isolating headphones and earplugs, and there are only a couple that really work for me. Some that others really love did not work well for me at all (didn't block enough noise, fell out when putting helmet on, etc.). 

As far as the PackTalk Pro, I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. I only recently switched from my original PackTalk (pre-Bold) to the Edge. I expect to get several more years out of the edge, considering it is more robust than the PT was. 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I have always had Sena, but I am now leaning hard towards the Uclear offerings, my riding buds all have the Cardo's.

Just their speakers their inter communicators are junk

17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Just their speakers their inter communicators are junk

Cant be any worse than Sena, and I'd have one mostly for music and the occasional comm talk anyways.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Cant be any worse than Sena, and I'd have one mostly for music and the occasional comm talk anyways.

It's because of their throat Mike.

It doesn't work well

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

It's because of their throat Mike.

It doesn't work well

I saw the Uclear doesn't have a boom or throat mic, it's all done with/through the speakers. Plenty of good reviews out there, and can't imagine them still being in business if legions were complaining.

Edited by Ride365