• Supporting Member

Had a little reminder to be careful around road markings while out on a Sunday jaunt today.

Ahead of me was an Agusta parked up on the median strip with its pilot sitting on a wall on the other side of the road appearing shaken but unhurt.  He was speaking to someone so wasn't in too much strife so all good on that front.  By the look of the markings on the road he's (appeared) to have gotten a handful of the front brake (for whatever reason) and the tyre has lost all grip on the white road arrow marking and he's gone for a spill into the lanes of the roundabout.  The conditions were fine and with no water laying around.

Coming into the roundabout too fast?  Could be a number of scenarios but I wasn't going to stop and ask.

Again, just a reminder for us all to be cautious around the ''road traps".

1.thumb.PNG.364276baa059980f00e1501d90812a30.PNG

2.thumb.PNG.fa571975912d7d10d683d35d3b0b4795.PNG

• Sad 2

Those painted marks offer little grip.  It's a good idea to avoid them at intersections when possible.  Glad the rider was okay.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

They're also slightly raised off the road, this is really noticeable if they're fresh paint. I swear some of the new crosswalks around me have more lift than speed bumps.

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Typically only slippery when wet, I have never noticed lack of grip otherwise.

Yes, I agree and hence the reason that I assumed  he got handful of the front brake at the entry into the roundabout. And if in that case, didn't need the road markings to be a contributing factor. i.e. he may have skidded anyway.

(And again speculating on why he went down) - he needed to wash off too much speed;  a vehicle appeared suddenly/unexpectantly on his right; watching the traffic on the roundabout and not the vehicle in front, front tyre worn... etc ??

We could guess on the cause ad-infinitum.  Makes me wish I'd stopped and asked now but I'd be wagering it would be one of those speculations above.

• Premium Member

"wash off too much speed"

Up here we say "scrub off" !!! 😆

was your expression normal Down Under because of a fixation on water conservation?

Seriously?

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

"wash off too much speed"

Up here we say "scrub off" !!! 😆

was your expression normal Down Under because of a fixation on water conservation?

Seriously?

5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

You scrub off speed so you don't washout. :)

Dunno.  Maybe it's my propensity to "wash off" my brain with some sherbets (or should I be saying brewskis) while posting on the forum that leads me to using a vernacular that is not in keeping with that of the right side up part of the world. 🤣

Wash off, scrub off - as long as it's not described as rubbing off, I don't care.🤣

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

I have a crosswalk in my hood that is literally 3/4" proud of the road and it's all paint. Even on the driest most temperate days, people chirp their tires crossing over it to make a turn.

• Thumbsup 1