Y.E.S. Extended Warranty

In Canada it's called the Y.P.P. (Yamaha Protection Plan) and if you buy an FJ-09 before March, you get a 12 month Y.P.P. included at no charge, which extends your warranty to a full 24 months. From what I've read, the Y.E.S. program has a few more features than the Canadian equivalent, but for all the Canadian riders, remember to ask your dealer about the free extra year warranty! It's called the Winter Ride-On offer.

In Canada it's called the Y.P.P. (Yamaha Protection Plan) and if you buy an FJ-09 before March, you get a 12 month Y.P.P. included at no charge, which extends your warranty to a full 48 months. From what I've read, the Y.E.S. program has a few more features than the Canadian equivalent, but for all the Canadian riders, remember to ask your dealer about the free extra year warranty! It's called the Winter Ride-On offer.
Full 48 months?? I thought getting the free 12 YPP only upped it to 24 months? 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I do not let dealers work on my bikes unless there is a recall and even then, I check the bike out completely after they put their hands on it.

Most dealers do not pay worth a shet. So, the good mechanics quit and start their own shops. That is who works on my bikes.

I have a good friend who works on my bikes who used to be a dealer mechanic trying to live on shet wages. He tells me stories of bikes going out with no oil and seizing, bikes falling apart, bikes getting dented, young mechanics stripping bolts and leaving them stripped. ETC, ETC.

Do the math and if you want the youngest, least experienced mechanics available working on your bikes, then certainly, get the warranty and let your dealer work on your bike.

Their are exceptions and some great dealer service shops, but not many. What the most provide is horrible work at the absolutely most expensive prices available.

On my FZ-09, the dealer offered to sync the throttle bodies (really important BTW!) for $265. I took it to a more experienced private bike shop and he did it for $55.

Phuck dealers, they are a necessary evil just to get a new bike, and then I never return.

• Premium Member
I do all my own maintenance and will write up procedures once performed. Probably won't happen soon except for mods. I write maintenance procedures for a living (aircraft), so hopefully they will be good enough.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I do what I can and take my bikes to the local independent shop when it's something I can't or don't want to do. They're racers and been around a long time. They're very good. If the extended warrantee is cheap enough I might pay for it only because of all the electronic stuff my favorite shop can't take care of. How much do the Yamaha electronics cost? How reliable are they?
Yamadog
XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

I will agree that service at the dealership is often a 'last option', but if the warranty is cheap enough, it would be handy for the unlikely event of a major mechanical malfunction.
I agree, with all of the higher tech systems and electronics, a reasonably priced ext. warranty may be worth the investment. 
On my FJR, I purchased the YES 48 month plan for less than $400, giving my 5 years of coverage.  To me that's cheap insurance.

Archived