Ohlins Rear Shock

ogri

Tried two-up for the first time the other day and the factory rear shock doesn't seem to be up to the job. Has anyone tried the basic Ohlins YA335 shock? I have also seen the S46HR1C1LS http://gsense.jp/addmore/whatsnew/15554 proposed, as well as the S46HR1C1 http://www.ulteambike.com/amortisseur-hlins-s46hr1c1-yamaha-mt09-2014-hlins,fr,4,YA046B-C.cfm.  Does anyone here have any experience with these? Thanks!
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohlins makes good kit by and large. Anybody's "budget" shock ($650 or less) incurs the expected trade offs. I personally consider length aka ride-height to be far more useful than compression adjustment. I'm not a fan of hydraulic preload; the adjustment range is IMO too narrow to be useful. But it does beat skinning your knuckles or fighting to get at a hellishly hard to reach spring preload collar. Other suppliers have adopted a worm-driven preload device and that is IMO the better answer.

Finally, I will say that the EURO:USD ratio can be advantageous right now...

Any recommendations? What are you seeing people install? Also, I have read threads here where riders criticize the front fork compression damping as being 'too harsh.' To me the front end dives too quickly under braking and needs more damping, stiffer spring rates or a higher viscosity oil.

• Premium Member
Any recommendations? What are you seeing people install? Also, I have read threads here where riders criticize the front fork compression damping as being 'too harsh.' To me the front end dives too quickly under braking and needs more damping, stiffer spring rates or a higher viscosity oil.
You could also reduce the air gap by raising the fork oil level. I have done this in the past with good results, but it will be harsher.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Certainly a lower cost alternative to some of the alternative solutions that I have explored. The bike is way better than my old Triumph Tiger 900, but takes some effort to stay level entering corners under high braking.

Hard to go wrong with Traxxion/Penske. Sorry to keep referencing the sister bike (FZ07) but riders approve of the Matris, Nitron, and JRB. Personally I'm impressed with Nitron's value position. The only one that gets the "wish it was better" comments is the inexpensive Ohlins. I'm sure their $1000-price units are very good, though. Fast-bike Industries (Ohlins and Andreani importer in GA) was offering a killer deal for the Ohlins+Andreani kit ($1050 all-in) which was plenty of incentive for folks to try it.

I started http://fj-09.org/thread/2028/shock-upgrades-compatible-swaps.

I've personally run several Penskes, a Fox (defunct), an Elka, a Hagon (cheap, noticeably better than OEM but not in the same class), rather liked the Wilburs, and test road a bike with Ohlins. The best is a breathed on Penske (Lindermann, Traxxion, or JRB). Then it would be a tie between Wilburs and Nitron that offer goodies at a reduced price, then Matris and the Ohlins. I guess I'd put the Elka in-between the Wilburs and Penske with a nod in it's favor if you're in Canada and can avoid the whole trans-border thing.

Also, I have read threads here where riders criticize the front fork compression damping as being 'too harsh.' To me the front end dives too quickly under braking and needs more damping, stiffer spring rates or a higher viscosity oil.
well the FZ09 suspension should be written off as a total loss. Just replace it and move on. This may mean reducing spring rates if proper sag values can not be attained (normally the Jap4 have the opposite problem). 
since we're talking about cartridge forks, oil weight really isn't the issue. Sure you could go from 5W to 7W or maybe as high as 10W but in the general case, a lighter oil is the better choice. So a good 5W (perhaps slightly thickend) would be my recommendation.

But the valving has to be configured to work with said oil selection. Diving under braking is initially a spring issue. If that's within the ball-park then it's a shim stack issue aiming for initial bump compliance but then not just folding over and letting the oil get by too easily. IMO that's a tall ask of a single tiny piston trying to do all that work when for decades it's been handled by a pair of them.

The rather common reason for harshness is actually too much rebound damping. So instead of following the contour by extending, the frontend instead "lands" on the other side of the bump which puts a sharp spike in the compression circuit and makes it feel choppy.

I'm not a fan of hydraulic preload; the adjustment range is IMO too narrow to be useful. But it does beat skinning your knuckles or fighting to get at a hellishly hard to reach spring preload collar. Other suppliers have adopted a worm-driven preload device and that is IMO the better answer.
I thought hydraulic preload adjustment range is usually enough to compensate for riding with or without luggage??? That's all I need.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

The bike seems well suited to one person, plus luggage, but not two. Biased by the fact that my last bike was a 1200 with more torque and weight. Having said that, I was looking for a smaller, lighter ride.

• 2 weeks later...
Dialed up the rebound damping from 7 to 10 from full 'soft' stop and this made a big difference. No more dive and less bouncing across ruts. The ride is certainly firm, but more predictable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I thought the rear shock was so awful, I had a replacement ordered within a week of purchase. Bought a Penske 8983. Since it has a ride height adjuster built in, you could easily (if not too quickly) go from a solo set up to a two up set up.
I did redo the front forks with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20's (and am very pleased with the results), but I do think a person could find a good shop and try less expensive options first.

Cheers
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Fanowater, Please give us a review on the AK 20's.
Did you also do rear shock.
Thanks
RC

The AK-20's are excellent.  Traxxion's recommended base settings were spot on!.  I had them installed by Catalyst Reaction in San Carlos.  They were fast and did a good job.On our local Sonoma County roads - which are horrific, lumpy, bumpy junk, the springs are much too strong.  Once I get to my favorite roads which are in good shape, the springs make sense and the bike is a total joy.The Penske 8983 is also superb, but too stiff for my local roads, perfect on smoother roads and on the highway. I highly recommend both, but should warn you it was hard to find a perfect spot for the remote reservoir on the Penske.  This is how I mounted it, but if I used the passenger pegs it might have been in the way.http://s296.photobucket.com/user/daleh627/media/Penske%20mounted_zpsyslznsr9.jpg.html?o=6
Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 4 weeks later...
My FJ is currently in Elka's R&D shop for the development of a unit for our bikes. It should be ready somewhere next week. They are still looking for a spot where to install the remote reservoir. Anybody have pictures of where the other companies have installed theirs ?

Archived