Break in Period and first service question

Hey all,

I just hit the 600 mile mark on the FJ and I was wondering how far, if at all, I can push it before I get the first servicing. My local dealership doesn't have a time slot until next week and with the weather being perfect right now here in Ohio I would like to keep using the bike for work. Any advice or personal experience would be helpful.

• Premium Member
I wouldn't be worried at all going up to 1000 miles as long as everything seems to be working okay - it's about time bike makers got in line with car makers and ditched the 600 mile service. My car made by VAG didn't ask for a service until it was nearly 2 years old with 14,000 miles on the clock. It would go up to 20,000 miles between services if I was a high mileage user.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I did my first service at about 680 miles and the oil was pretty filthy looking. I know that's not scientific, but there are still significant design differences between car and motorcycle engines. Look at the difference in horsepower-per-liter of engine displacement and you'll see that motorcycle engines are more highly stressed than cars, and they run much higher RPMs. And of course, VAG probably sells more Golfs each year than Yamaha sells all motorcycles, ATVs, and PWCs combined.

The 600 mile/1000 km service is a motorcycle industry paradigm that has been around for a while, and going to 1000-1500 miles is almost certainly safe with a modern engine. But I doubt we'll ever see the day of 14000 mile service intervals on motorcycles :-)

The recommended intervals are set for a reason. Long term it does make a difference. Sharing sump with the clutch,tranny,& engine it is important to keep the system clean as clutch material,small metal particles from trans etc. are coming in contact with high rpm engine componants. Just a thought

• Premium Member
The recommended intervals are set for a reason. Long term it does make a difference. Sharing sump with the clutch,tranny,& engine it is important to keep the system clean as clutch material,small metal particles from trans etc. are coming in contact with high rpm engine componants. Just a thought
please explain why the service intervals vary depending on geography? 
My service intervals are every 6000 miles. In France they will be 10,000 km. In the US the service interval is 4000 miles.

This is not based on any scientific or engineering principle. The Yamaha service intervals are based on a combination of pandering to the insecurities of the owner and the profiteering of the manufacturer. In the US, the consumer's expectation is for a 4000 or shorter interval so Yamaha get 50% more sales of oil filters etc per bike than in the EU market

There is nothing more emotive on a motorcycle forum than an oil thread with people almost evangelical about certain brands or 500 mile oil changes like their great-grandad did on his Norton Commando. Hyperbolic hot air, largely. 

I mentioned above, service intervals for European cars have increased dramatically in the last few decades. A 20,000 mile service interval is quite common. This is driven by the leasing companies who own the cars for the first 3 years of their lives as many cars in Europe  are company cars, either for business use or perks. Leasing companies want low cost of ownership in those 3 years so the fewer services the better. They have no interest in the reliability of the car beyond those 3 years, just the running costs and residual value. If those service intervals are too wide, the 2nd, 3rd or 4th owners will be the ones with the big service bills for failed engines or gearboxes. Not something the main players in the motor trade i.e. the manufacturers & leasing companies give two hoots about. 

So, my thesis is that service intervals are a function of socio-economics rather than being set by anybody with a mechanical engineering bent.

I collect my PhD next week.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

With engine oil capacity at 3 qts. and average rpm more than double that of automotive applications, my engine will never see 4000 mi. before oil change. I have been in the auto repair business for over 30 years & witnessed many teardowns of engines that had "regular" services that failed. In my opinion it is cheap insurance. I have never heard "well if you hadn't changed your oil so much"

• Premium Member
With engine oil capacity at 3 qts. and average rpm more than double that of automotive applications, my engine will never see 4000 mi. before oil change. I have been in the auto repair business for over 30 years & witnessed many teardowns of engines that had "regular" services that failed. In my opinion it is cheap insurance. I have never heard "well if you hadn't changed your oil so much"
In my thesis, your point of view would be in the "owner with anxiety" rather than the "evidence based research" category.  

I don't think I'd pay a dealer to to the first service it's basically just an oil change and check over. I did mine yesterday at 675 mile and the oil that came out looked pretty clean. About as easy an oil change as any bike too, the filter is not over the headers and is even slightly angled so oil doesn't drip down the case. I lubed the stands, levers, shifter, and brake peddle, set the clutch cable free play, the throttle play was fine.

• 2 weeks later...
please explain why the service intervals vary depending on geography? 
My service intervals are every 6000 miles. In France they will be 10,000 km. In the US the service interval is 4000 miles.

This is not based on any scientific or engineering principle. The Yamaha service intervals are based on a combination of pandering to the insecurities of the owner and the profiteering of the manufacturer. In the US, the consumer's expectation is for a 4000 or shorter interval so Yamaha get 50% more sales of oil filters etc per bike than in the EU market

There is nothing more emotive on a motorcycle forum than an oil thread with people almost evangelical about certain brands or 500 mile oil changes like their great-grandad did on his Norton Commando. Hyperbolic hot air, largely. 

I mentioned above, service intervals for European cars have increased dramatically in the last few decades. A 20,000 mile service interval is quite common. This is driven by the leasing companies who own the cars for the first 3 years of their lives as many cars in Europe  are company cars, either for business use or perks. Leasing companies want low cost of ownership in those 3 years so the fewer services the better. They have no interest in the reliability of the car beyond those 3 years, just the running costs and residual value. If those service intervals are too wide, the 2nd, 3rd or 4th owners will be the ones with the big service bills for failed engines or gearboxes. Not something the main players in the motor trade i.e. the manufacturers & leasing companies give two hoots about. 

So, my thesis is that service intervals are a function of socio-economics rather than being set by anybody with a mechanical engineering bent.

I collect my PhD next week.  
American miles are 50% bigger than UK miles. Along with having smaller gallons, this is the reason US riders get such crap gas mileage.  

Archived