Fork upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

• Supporting Member
On 12/13/2023 at 9:20 PM, dazzler24 said:

I changed to 2.5wt in the compression leg

That is a great data point πŸ‘. Do you recall the cSt@40C spec, or the oil brand/name? The "wt" numbers aren't that telling on their own. Your weight and spring rate would be great too... 😁.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, piotrek said:

That is a great data point πŸ‘. Do you recall the cSt@40C spec, or the oil brand/name? The "wt" numbers aren't that telling on their own. Your weight and spring rate would be great too... 😁.

I was hoping that no one would ask me the question about the cSt spec because sadly I didn't ask at the time - I had a bike shop do the job.

But, I did give them info on recommendations that I had found on the interwebs where it was stated that the C leg should be in the range of 11-14cST@40C (2.5-3wt) with the R leg remaining with 19cSt@40 (5wt)

I can remember that I'd gathered that info some time ago and filed it away for my own reference but don't have any links unfortunately.

Not 100% certain of my spring rate but fairly confident that they were 7.8 N/mm (0.8kg/mm) units as I did order them for my weight and riding style at the time (2017).

Speaking of which - 85kgs (~187lbs) kitted out.  Might a bit more now! 😲

HTH.

Model.thumb.jpg.77e067138d986166e3766c086bc5e8bd.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.4a82e8602710607e00acab5f29f255a0.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Good info @dazzler24. That could all be very useful to anyone looking to install these. I have seen plenty of posts from people buying these (because... price point), only to find the ride too firm. Glad the fix worked for you. πŸ‘

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Years ago when Forks by Matt was still in business, I had him put together a custom set of OEM cartridges with his own shim stack but with rebound in both legs and adjustable compression in the left.

That in conjunction with sonic .90 springs have provided excellent performance for only $350 after his core charge + $80 for the springs and $65 for the second rebound / preload fork cap withΒ  the rebound rod. I use 16 cSt @ 40C fork fluid set at about 5-1\2" for the air gap.

I also bought my k-tech razor r shock from him for about 600 bucks including a custom thrust bearing for the spring preload.

I dump & flush with ATF and refill semi-annually.

Also after every ride I use a non-sticky rubber treatment that's compatible with the seals when I wipe off fork tubes with a microfiber towel cut in 2" strips