Oil Drain Plug Lowest Point Hazard

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the drain bolt is the lowest point on the motor and if it gets hit, It will crack the paper thin drain pan. This will render your motor useless and lube your rear tire like you would not believe, if you're lucky it will only leave you stranded, if not you could blow the motor and/or crash. For me it was a $300 tow and a ~$200 drain pan (That is back ordered, Gee I wonder Why?) And a new ~$150 rear tire, plus the work I will have to do myself for an obvious design flaw from Yamaha.

I have owned many types of bikes in the past 30 years and never had a problem like this so all you Yamaha Cheerleaders that may deny this is a Big Problem can just save it. I can and will fix it on my dime! I used to love my FJ till this Weekend when it left me stranded. I highly recommend not driving over anything over 3" high or it may cost you dearly!

• Premium Member
That's why I did this link to drain plug mod thread. months ago.... 
Ty

Thanks Ty, we need to make it a sticky and mandatory reading for new owners. He should also check his handguard bolts and axle bolts for looseness.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. I will implement that as soon as my back ordered drain pan comes in. You got to admit though this is BS! Yamaha needs to come clean and fix this crap before someone gets killed.

I would have much rather spent 600 bucks on my suspension rather then getting my new bike w/ less than 1K miles towed home and then repairing some rookie design flaw from a company that is clearly on the cutting edge of Motorcycle manufacturing.

I realize that you are pissed about what happened. But instead of blaming the design, maybe you should try to be more conscious of what you are riding over next time.
Yamaha can't plan for every circumstance that is out there in the world, including riding over tall curbs.

-skip

• Premium Member
Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the drain bolt is the lowest point on the motor and if it gets hit, It will crack the paper thin drain pan. This will render your motor useless and lube your rear tire like you would not believe, if you're lucky it will only leave you stranded, if not you could blow the motor and/or crash. For me it was a $300 tow and a ~$200 drain pan (That is back ordered, Gee I wonder Why?) And a new ~$150 rear tire, plus the work I will have to do myself for an obvious design flaw from Yamaha.  
I have owned many types of bikes in the past 30 years and never had a problem like this so all you Yamaha Cheerleaders that may deny this is a Big Problem can just save it. I can and will fix it on my dime! I used love my FJ till this Weekend when it left me stranded. I highly recommend not driving over anything over 3" high or it may cost you!

Solution: I don't know... Maybe a skid plate. Yamaha needs to own up to this and fix it ASAP!

BUYER BEWARE!!!
So what actually happened?

In response to "so what actually happened":

I pulled off the road to take a leak and drove over a 2' sqare concrete drain with a steel grate. The corner of the concrete stuck up maybe 3". It appeared that the corner of the drain managed to hit sqare on the drain plug & crack the oil pan.

In my opinion any other bike would have survived this. I can say this with some confidence due to the fact that I am long time rider and nothing like this has ever happened, and the fact that the 1st response was a well thought out fix that I have every intension of doing once my back ordered parts arrive. I will post pics if necessary later as I am at work right now.

• Premium Member
In response to "so what actually happened": 
I pulled off the road to take a leak and drove over a 2' sqare concrete drain with a steel grate. The corner of the concrete stuck up maybe 3". It appeared that the corner of the drain managed to hit sqare on the drain plug & crack the oil pan.

In my opinion any other bike would have survived this. I can say this with some confidence due to the fact that I am long time rider and nothing like this has ever happened, and the fact that the 1st response was a well thought out fix that I have every intension of doing once my back ordered parts arrive. I will post pics if necessary later as I am at work right now.

In the past, it was the ramp up to the drain plug that causes the cracked oil pan (hits first and deflects the oil pan and cracks it),  not usually the drain plug, but you never know. Hope it never happens again as you are not the first, but hopefully the last.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
My low profile drain plugs should be here in a day or two, but even with that mod, the oil pan is quite vulnerable. A guy I ride with on occasion just ran over a rock on the road, it kicked up and bashed thru the front of the pan. Put a huge hole in it. SW-Motech makes a great looking skid plate for the FZ-09, but it supposedly does not fit the FJ. When one becomes available, I will get it, even at $267.00.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-aluminum-engine-guard-skidplate-yamaha-fz-09-13-14
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

I called up Yamaha corporate to explain my situation with the cracked drain pan. They said sure bring it on down we'll take a look at it and let you know if we'll take care of the repairs. Well they rejected the repairs and charged me $54 to look at it. All I can say is I've owned this bike for three months and it's already caused more headaches than any bike I've owned in the past 30 years. Congratulations Yamaha!

• Premium Member
Well, it is one incident. Don't you like the bike otherwise? I sure do. I have not looked too closely at the underside of lots of street oriented bikes, but they all have an oil pan at the bottom, and if you hit the wrong thing with it, shit happens. I think you just have to try to cope and move on. The frustrating part for me would be having to wait for a new oil pan. How long did they say it would be before you get one? I ordered a clutch cable just to have at the ready two weeks ago and have heard nothing. Guys are waiting months for heated grips.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

Archived