why is the stock fueling so mediocre, vs. say Street Triple

• Premium Member
I'm asking this not to bash the FJ, but to try to understand.

I plan to address this issue by getting the ECU flash that so many on this board are happy with...

But I'm curious.

My previous bike was a 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. 

That bike's fueling was LIKE BUTTER. Seriously. 

The only meaningful difference I see is that the Triumph had a throttle cable vs. the Kawa's electronic. And the Kawa is torquier across the board.

Triumph made their fueling great, without violating EPA or CARB (California) emissions regs. Yamaha did not.

I would find it hard to believe that Triumph/Bosch/whoever would have significantly better tech than Yamaha. Maybe if we were  looking at the beginning of the fuel injection era, or something like that--but we're not.

• Premium Member
Well, Triumph don't always get it right. When the 955i Triple came out people were getting the ECU maps edited by a French tuner.

We get a different ECU map in the UK. No upper speed limit for a start. Not sure if the European Union regulations are different to the US, but I don't find the fuelling to be to much of a problem. There again, my last bike was a Super Tenere and I'm used to a bit up low RPM lumpiness so perhaps this has made me less sensitive to something others find a problem.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
+2 on Triumph not always getting it right. The fuelling on my 2000 TT600 was dreadful. The difference is I eventually got free map updates from Triumph that fixed the problems. I don't see any free fixes forthcoming from Yamaha.

• Premium Member
My wife has a 2012 street triple, and it's fueling is good, but I much prefer the power of the F-Jay. I have purchased the harness from Flashtune to do my own tuning and I have some suggestions for you guys contemplating having a flash done. Think twice about turning off the decel cut option. It does make things very smooth, but the engine braking is gone, almost completely, which I hated. Plus the fuel mileage went down about 4 mpg (no one talks about that!). Lets say you are approaching a turn at 70mph at over 6,000 rpm, if you roll off the throttle preparing for the entry to the turn, it is like the throttle is still on which can be unnerving (at least to me). Having the harness and software, I turned it back on (will cut fueling on decel) and that is the way I have it now. Another option, turning the AIS off, does decrease the engine braking a little and does also smooth things out, so that is what I have done. Keeps the popping down also when using an aftermarket exhaust or if you modified your stock exhaust. If you are a racer or are use to no engine braking, turning off the decel cut is probably the way to go. It will also require you to cover and use the brake more which isn't a bad thing, just not intuitive for me. There will be those pundits that will say, you should learn to ride with no engine braking, but I prefer it there, so don't waste your finger strokes. YMMV.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Whereas some instructors get people to learn to ride smoothly by not using the brakes, just use the correct gear and rolling on/off the throttle using engine braking. I love loads of engine braking, but I'm a fan of big twins as already said...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
My wife has a 2012 street triple, and it's fueling is good, but I much prefer the power of the F-Jay. I have purchased the harness from Flashtune to do my own tuning and I have some suggestions for you guys contemplating having a flash done. Think twice about turning off the decel cut option. It does make things very smooth, but the engine braking is gone, almost completely, which I hated. Plus the fuel mileage went down about 4 mpg (no one talks about that!). Lets say you are approaching a turn at 70mph at over 6,000 rpm, if you roll off the throttle preparing for the entry to the turn, it is like the throttle is still on which can be unnerving (at least to me). Having the harness and software, I turned it back on (will cut fueling on decel) and that is the way I have it now. Another option, turning the AIS off, does decrease the engine braking a little and does also smooth things out, so that is what I have done. Keeps the popping down also when using an aftermarket exhaust or if you modified your stock exhaust. If you are a racer or are use to no engine braking, turning off the decel cut is probably the way to go. It will also require you to cover and use the brake more which isn't a bad thing, just not intuitive for me. There will be those pundits that will say, you should learn to ride with no engine braking, but I prefer it there, so don't waste your finger strokes. YMMV.
I've had a different experience with my FJ.  I had my ECU flash done by 2wheeldynoworks, and have no idea how their settings might be different from what you might have done.  What I see is reduced initial engine braking which, for me, makes the bike much smoother coming into corners and flowing from one to the next.  When I'm in the proper gear I still don't need to use the brakes very much as the engine is providing braking, just not in such a heavy handed manner.  Maybe it's a riding style difference, but I much prefer how the FJ performs now compared to how it was pre-flash. 

Regarding gas mileage, I haven't seen much of a difference at all.  Certainly not a 4 mpg difference.  For a mixed brisk riding day I still get between 41 and 45 mpg.  If I really jump on it the mileage goes down (duh) and, if I had a full day of mostly hi-rev twisties, I'm sure it would go down more (unfortunately I have too many conservative roads going to and from the twisties in my area).  When I'm just riding around and not pushing the bike, it's not hard for me to get close to 50 mpg.  This is no different than what I saw pre-flash. 

FYI - I still have the stock exhaust system so that variable doesn't exist for me. 

As always YMMV.

Archived