• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

running oxford heated grips on oem controls

So, I wonder if 4.1 range is needed to "see" the heated grips..
If so, the Oxford ones would not be seen, they are only 4 amps, but should be close enough to work, however are only 3.6 average draw in use....

I'm going to just have to try and make the ones I have work, and hope for the best. The values are pretty close Oxford to OEM.

I got my factory heated grips today. The throttle side reads 1.6 ohms and the clutch side reads 2.5 ohms.
Interesting.  A lot of people have been saying the throttle side feels warmer than the clutch side.  If I understand ohms correctly, this shows that they are correct.  The clutch side has more resistance which means it's getting less amps, right?
Not necessarily.  Since there is a built in controller, there likely is not the same voltage to both grips (at least I would hope not).  If you applied the same current to both grips, the higher resistance would mean a hotter element.  I'm only guessing at what is being done here, but likely they are trying to make up for the difference with a higher resistance (maybe bigger element like someone else said). 
I like to think of resistance like friction, the more friction the more heat generated (at the same speed which would be similar to current).  

So here's what I came up with

clutch side ------throttle side
low 0-------------0
med 3.38v-------3.56v
hi 3.38v----------3.56v

I couldn't read any voltage for either side on low but I could feel the grips heating up. The med and hi settings for both grips read the same. Not sure what Yamaha has going on here

• 3 months later...
So did anyone ever get a definitive answer as to if you could wire aftermarket heated grips to be controlled by the OEM controls?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 6 months later...
It's been posted before but I want to repeat what a great thing it is that the OEM heated grips heat levels can be adjusted on the fly.

Esp on mild days, the ability to tweak the grip level to 1 2 3 or 4 is HUGE.  I twiddle that all the time at temps when I want a little temp but not too much.

For me the OEM grips were pricey but worth it so far (as long as they hold up).  ymmv

• 3 months later...
The grips are in series so the current flow is the same for both. I'm using the grip heat control to run my heated vest. Plug in the vest before turning on the ignition so the grip heat control potion is accessible. It looks for a load at power up. If you plug the vest in after turning on the ignition the grip heat control option is not there. The plug for the grip heat is the same as the yamaha turn signal plug. Cheap on ebay ($9 for 2)

The grips are in series so the current flow is the same for both. I'm using the grip heat control to run my heated vest. Plug in the vest before turning on the ignition so the grip heat control potion is accessible. It looks for a load at power up. If you plug the vest in after turning on the ignition the grip heat control option is not there. The plug for the grip heat is the same as the yamaha turn signal plug. Cheap on ebay ($9 for 2)
Great idea!!!  Finding the heat troller and adjusting it with gloves, at speed is chancy. What do they call the turn signal plug on eBay?  (Couldn't find "FJ-09 turn signal plug")

Motodynamic.com has several different adapters with OEM connectors..

www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/yamaha-turn-signal-wire-harness-r1-r6-fz6-fz6r-fz1-fz8-2-or-3-wire-pair.html

That's the link to the turn signal adapter. They also have splitters, and single wire adapters.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Great idea!!!  Finding the heat troller and adjusting it with gloves, at speed is chancy. What do they call the turn signal plug on eBay?  (Couldn't find "FJ-09 turn signal plug")
I don't know what type of heat troller you have, but I have a Gerbing dual controller. I clip it onto my left hip pocket of my aerostich and don't have any problems adjusting while riding. The controller sits at a slight sideways angle.  I turn the top know CW to increase heat in my jacket and the bottom knob to adjust my gloves. I don't have to look down, I just reach with my left hand.  

• 1 year later...

Archived