• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Bagster seat

wessie

It's the seams that are the issue I think. If I don't get any joy from Bagster I might give it to an upholsterer to see if they can take the cover off and tape the seams. It's certainly where the water comes out - you don't get a wet crotch/bum, but the inside of your thighs.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
It's the seams that are the issue I think. If I don't get any joy from Bagster I might give it to an upholsterer to see if they can take the cover off and tape the seams. It's certainly where the water comes out - you don't get a wet crotch/bum, but the inside of your thighs.
There have been a few comments here and in a Facebook group about the Bagster seat, in that it is not waterproof. Just in case this isn't obvious to some, if you choose to have the prettiness of the embroidery shown in my pictures then you are not going to have a waterproof seat cover. Bagster choose to wrap the foam in polythene rather than to try to make the stitched logos and seam waterproof. 

Obviously, this will apply to other brands too. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

With the red piping, stitch and outline, your seat sure is eye candy Wessie. Has the foam compressed or softened up any in your position #1 and or #2? My 30" inseam keeps me in #2 on a lowered stock seat most of the time. I've shunned any interest in cosmetics as removing over 1 1/2" of foam out of my OEM has made it functional/comfortable for me. But after seeing this, hmmmmm!! :)
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
With the red piping, stitch and outline, your seat sure is eye candy Wessie. Has the foam compressed or softened up any in your position #1 and or #2? My 30" inseam keeps me in #2 on a lowered stock seat most of the time. I've shunned any interest in cosmetics as removing over 1 1/2" of foam out of my OEM has made it functional/comfortable for me. But after seeing this, hmmmmm!! :)
The expansion of the different parts has evened out - initially it looked like the seat cover was loose as there were a few wrinkles in the cover. This has evened out now and no longer visible - I think Bagster know they need to make the front a little looser to begin with as when you sit in the seat you push some of the foam forward into the nose of the seat.  
All I can say is that the seat must be comfortable as I am not really noticing it. I did a ride today of over 100 miles and was quite happy all afternoon. On the OE seat I had usually started squirming after 50-70 miles. 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I just came across this thread and will post it in the How to Index, which may get some otheres to find it too.

My personnal response to the waterproofing of the seams, is that this can be done, as I have been using a process on my Russell for 10 years. I spary the saddle with Nikwax or use the sponge on process.  They both work.   I put on a pair of gloves I want to also waterproof and rub the Nikwax around, gettting it into the seams and stiching of the seat real good.  This process gets both the seat and the gloves.   Although the water resistance only lasts for about an hour or so on the gloves, it seams to last forever on the seat.  

image1_53_en-us.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I use Nikwax TX Direct for waterproofing my Cordura clothing (including some Alpinestars fabric gloves) - I have just bought a litre of the stuff and you only use 100ml per garment in a washing machine.

I have yet to notice a problem with my seat as I have only ridden whilst wearing waterproof trousers since fitting the seat. If I do start riding in jeans in the summer, I could easily treat the seams & stitching with some of this TX Direct stuff. Almost certainly the same active chemical as the glove product in an alternative delivery system.

I use Nikwax TX Direct for waterproofing my Cordura clothing (including some Alpinestars fabric gloves) - I have just bought a litre of the stuff and you only use 100ml per garment in a washing machine.  
I have yet to notice a problem with my seat as I have only ridden whilst wearing waterproof trousers since fitting the seat. If I do start riding in jeans in the summer, I could easily treat the seams & stitching with some of this TX Direct stuff. Almost certainly the same active chemical as the glove product in an alternative delivery system.
I also use the the TX Direct spay too.  Works just the same.  My Russell looks like new, after 7 years of use and that is the only treatment I use.  Its not leather, but vinyl so the seams need some kind of treatment.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Nikwax works better after some heat treatment, a light iron or tumble dry. I guess a hairdryer might work on the seat. It seemed counter intuitive to me, I wanted to hang my goretex to dry, but the instructions say to tumble dry them. It works.

I just came across this thread and will post it in the How to Index, which may get some otheres to find it too. 
My personnal response to the waterproofing of the seams, is that this can be done, as I have been using a process on my Russell for 10 years. I spary the saddle with Nikwax or use the sponge on process.  They both work.   I put on a pair of gloves I want to also waterproof and rub the Nikwax around, gettting it into the seams and stiching of the seat real good.  This process gets both the seat and the gloves.   Although the water resistance only lasts for about an hour or so on the gloves, it seams to last forever on the seat.  

image1_53_en-us.jpg

Thanks, will give it a go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've ordered my Bagster seat and went with the gel option. I had the original seat re-upholstered as the original is just misery after 60 miles or so. I'm hoping this will make all the difference and get me closer to a mid-range tourer I thought this bike would be.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Went for a six hour, 240 mile ride today, just for the hell of it and also to try out the new Bagster Diva seat with gel. I was expecting to get the twitchy bum-cheek cramps half way through the trip but was delightfully pain-free! Could have done with it being a few degrees warmer and was regretting getting the heated option but perhaps I'll just have to stick on some thicker thermals...

So, the bike is transformed by the V-Stream screen and made day-long rideable by the Bagster gel seat; can't wait to experience next month's Nitron shock and Andreani fork kit!

• Premium Member
Good news jjb. My Bagster is something I'm not thinking about which is a good sign. It's usually my bladder or wonky knee that makes me stop now!

Yes, it was chilly today. Fine at home at 12C but dropped to 5C on top of the Cotswolds and had me turning on the heated vest, insoles & grips.

Archived