Bagster seat

wessie

My custom Bagster seat has arrived in the country a day short of four weeks after ordering through the local distributor, who - incidentally - has been exemplary in keeping in touch with me on progress, even to the extent of sending me a pic of the seat with his e-mail advising that it had arrived.
Since delivery was said to be 5 to 6 weeks, I'm impressed: now to get it the 900km from Sydney to Brisbane!
Just last week the Australian Government signed a $50 billion ([strong]billion[/strong], not million) contract for new submarines with France, so I feel this quick response to my order is the least they could do.
I'll report later on first impressions... I have two back-to-back day rides of about 300km each next week, and it would be great to get the new seat fitted for that.  :):):)
[em]Wordsmith[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My custom Bagster seat has arrived in the country a day short of four weeks after ordering through the local distributor, who - incidentally - has been exemplary in keeping in touch with me on progress, even to the extent of sending me a pic of the seat with his e-mail advising that it had arrived. Since delivery was said to be 5 to 6 weeks, I'm impressed: now to get it the 900km from Sydney to Brisbane!
Just last week the Australian Government signed a $50 billion ([strong]billion[/strong], not million) contract for new submarines with France, so I feel this quick response to my order is the least they could do.
I'll report later on first impressions... I have two back-to-back day rides of about 300km each next week, and it would be great to get the new seat fitted for that.  :):):)
[em]Wordsmith[/em]
Their isn't really any 'fitting' - take the old seat off, put the new one on!

Their isn't really any 'fitting' - take the old seat off, put the new one on!
So I understand!   But is that not 'fitting'? - or should I have written 'installed'?   (Just being pedantic!). [em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Will be delivered on Monday May 9th, just in time for my planned 600km trip later that week! Excited!!

The new [strong]Bagster seat[/strong] was delivered to my door late today, packaged and wrapped to withstand a nuclear holocaust.

First impressions only, then. First of all – outstanding service, as the seat was delivered only 32 days after ordering, well within the 5 to 6 weeks indicated.

Both parts slipped onto the bike as readily as the OE seats. Visually – very pleasing, with muted silver-grey stitching and embroidery. The ‘rise’ from the back of the rider seat to the front of the pillion perch is a little more pronounced than OE, at about an extra 10mm – say 75mm (OE) to 85mm (new).   It looks a lot more pronounced in the pic below than in the flesh.

Using the authorised press-of-the-thumbs test, the Bagster seat felt marginally softer than OE – marginally, but still detectable, IMO.

The most immediate visual difference (apart from fabrics used) is the absence of the two fore-and-aft ‘ridges’ that on the OE seat seemed always to be digging into the upper/ inner part of my thighs. The Bagster seat has a much smoother cross-sectional transition from the flat to the more sloping side panels - no ridges.   Key measured widths appear identical.

The materials are attractive: a sort-of woven-look fabric that forms the actual seating surface combined with other matte panels that look almost suede-like. The whole is very tastefully done and the workmanship appears first-class.

This weekend is Mother’s Day, so a lengthy ride will not be on the cards just yet, but I’ll be up at first light tomorrow for a quick 120km canter in dawn’s early light to get first impressions of comfort.

More later…

[em]Wordsmith[/em][em]
[/em][em]http://i.imgur.com/bl6UHku.jpg[/em]

First and early impressions after a short 110km/ hour-and-a half circuit early today, broken by a brief coffee stop. A decided improvement on stock. My buttocks feel as if they are in contact with a greater surface area, and importantly there are no pressure points, and no slipping forwards. Pic below shows the seat on its first outing.

But proper evaluation will have to await this week's upcoming ~600km ride (over two days) to get a real handle on things. But thus far - pretty satisfied.

[em]Wordsmith[/em]
http://i.imgur.com/DG3r3Og.jpg

I am very happy with my Bagster seat. I had a 4 hour ride, under the rain, and I forgot I wanted to evaluate the seat since, well, I really didn't "notice" the seat. It does soaks water, even with the waterproof treatment mentioned on this forum. But the seat was exposed to rain and dew for 4 days of camping and riding.

450 mile ride yesterday (London - Liverpool -London via Matlock and Cat & Fiddle pass, with 2 1/2 hours break in Liverpool to watch football!). Massive, massive improvement on stock; was a bit stiff at end of return leg (220 straight motorway miles with one gas stop) but that may be down to shorty screen - should have put the powerbronze touring on, but that wouldn't have been so much fun in the twisties!

First sunny weekend - Matlock Bath was heaving with bikes! Amazing stuff!

The most immediate visual difference (apart from fabrics used) is the absence of the two fore-and-aft ‘ridges’ that on the OE seat seemed always to be digging into the upper/ inner part of my thighs. The Bagster seat has a much smoother cross-sectional transition from the flat to the more sloping side panels - no ridges.   Key measured widths appear identical.

http://i.imgur.com/Lv7BhFe.jpg 

• Premium Member
That's the main benefit I feel - which I have mentioned above. It is most evident when you lean around a long sweeper. On the OE seat your arse sank and rested against the seat pan. On the Bagster, the more rigid and differently shaped foam offers more support on the seat edges.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Final words about my new [strong]Bagster seat[/strong]. Well, my bum thinks it has died and gone to heaven!

(A more long-winded reflection on this is posted in the current [em]‘What did you do to your FJ today’[/em] Thread).

[em]Wordsmith (’39 model) 
[/em]

• 1 month later...
525 miles from Cognac to London in one hit with a 80 minute Eurotunnel break. No arse related issues at all; I do find the footpeg positioning, whilst comfortable, is a bit precriptive on riding position and you get a bit stiff in one position.

• Premium Member
It's been a bit damp in the UK with some of the heaviest cloudbursts for decades. The river at the bottom of my garden has risen several feet in minutes and then dropped back to normal levels not long after.

As I am a rebel and ride 10 miles to work wearing my highly protective Tu from Sainsbury's luxury denim jeans then park the bike outdoors for hours, I have been the victim of the Bagster soggy arse syndrome a few times lately.

So, I have spunked out a fiver on some Nikwax fabric reproofer. Seems this will get tested tomorrow afternoon as we have more Alpine style thunderstorms on the way...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
It's been a bit damp in the UK with some of the heaviest cloudbursts for decades. The river at the bottom of my garden has risen several feet in minutes and then dropped back to normal levels not long after. 
As I am a rebel and ride 10 miles to work wearing my highly protective Tu from Sainsbury's luxury denim jeans then park the bike outdoors for hours, I have been the victim of the Bagster soggy arse syndrome a few times lately.

So, I have spunked out a fiver on some Nikwax fabric reproofer. Seems this will get tested tomorrow afternoon as we have more Alpine style thunderstorms on the way...
http://www.revzilla.com/product/nelson-rigg-uv-2000-half-cover 20160425_185542_zpswtuaaqc0.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I'm too rufty tufty to use a cover - a Vespa & VFR800 sport covers in the office parking lot. Bloody pansies.

Archived