Bagster seat

wessie

• Premium Member
As mentioned in other threads, I ordered a Bagster seat direct from France. They make 2 models. I went for the fancier Diva version which allows you to choose a number of options. I selected the standard cover with red stitching and Bultex foam. It takes a while to get it made as they are produced to order due to the customisations available. Once the retailer confirmed the seat was in stock, the seat was delivered in 4 days by DPD. 

The simpler model which only has an option for the stitching colour is the Presto 

The retailer is very good - I have ordered other items from them and with the Euro so low at the moment, there is a significant cost saving if you can find the item in the UK. They seem to have Baglux/Bagster items months before the UK distributor.

So, just as a reminder, this is the standard seats on my bike:

2015-09-25%2015.27.47.jpg

Seats side by side. Note the base is similar but not identical as there are no clips for the tools.

2015-09-25%2015.29.27.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.31.30.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.29.41.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.29.33.jpg

and on the bike it looks pretty:

2015-09-25%2015.33.28.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.33.44.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.33.35.jpg

2015-09-25%2015.33.50.jpg

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
You will note a larger gap at the front. I double checked, the tabs are in the right place in the high position. Overall, the quality of construction looks good.

As soon as you sit on the bike it feels different. You feel the resistance of the foam against your thighs, giving the impression the seat is wider.

If you push down with your thumbs on the rear of the stock rider's seat you can easily feel the plastic subframe. You have to push a lot harder to do the same with the Bultex foam.

You also notice the firmer support as you go around corners. You feel the resistance of the foam as your weight shifts, especially on the edge of the seat.

If you sit right back in the seat it feels very comfy. Trouble is, I don't like being this far back as the bars feel too far away and I'm not happy with the peg position either.

So, I tend to sit where the seat is a little narrower, but not with my nuts hugging the tank. If your nuts do slide forward then there is more padding, which feels a little odd to begin with. You only do this under very hard braking or a steep downhill as the seat material is quite grippy. To move in normal riding you need to lift your arse off the seat and shove back.

I did about 70 miles this afternoon. I was certainly fidgeting less towards the end of the ride but only a trip with a few longer days back to back will give a true indication if I have value for money. That won't be until next year.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Here's the marketing bollocks for Bultex foam 

The seat cost 359 euros which came to £261.65 and is around $400 - that price includes French VAT (60 euro) and delivery to the UK (49 euro)

Note: price is now over £300 since the currency change

Mine is exactly the same. Very impressed with quality. It looks better in low but you can have it in the high position, a bit gappy at the bottom. You tend to feel a bit more forward tilting than stock in the low position. Much firmer than stock - as wessie says, you don't feel the base which I suspect is the major issue with the stock seat. Optimistic.

• Premium Member
another 60 odd mile ride today.

As stated above, I gravitate towards the narrower part of the seat which is not the most comfortable position but feels best from a fast riding position.

After much fiddling, the seat has 4 positions. You only get in close to the tank (position 1) when going down hill and I slide forward inside my now very loose pants/trousers.
Slightly further back is the optimum position (no. 2) for fast riding. Close enough to the bars to have bent arms and a relaxed grip, narrow enough to easily slide a buttock over the edge which is as a far as I go to lean off and my preferred foot peg position.
Further back again (position 3) is okay for all but the fastest riding. On the wider part of the seat now and nice to push yourself on after a spell of spirited riding.
Furthest back (position 4), pushing against the pillion seat would be even more comfortable on a yet wider seat. No good for me as it's too much of a stretch to the bars and a counter intuitive foot peg position.

I might mess with rotating the bars back a bit but more likely, I'll get more used to riding in the 3rd position which offers very good support.

The other thing I am noticing is the cover is stretching a bit and the foam will almost certainly compress, which will alter the dynamics.

Further updates to follow.

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
An update after a further 2000 miles of commuting and weekend rides.

The longest trip since fitting the seat has probably been around 100 miles.

The cover has now stretched a little - to begin with there were a few loose looking sections but a combination of the cover stretching and the foam settling it all looks even now.

The best thing I can say is that I hardly notice the seat. With the OE seat I usually started to squirm after 50 miles and after even less on the return journey home.

I still move from a forward position to a little further back as further back gives a bit more leg room for me to stretch my wonky knees.

Of course, it will be the Easter week where I'll find out for sure if this seat is still something I don't notice as I am travelling over 1000 miles to Germany and back.

• Premium Member
It does remind me of a Rover 75 Van den Plas.
I was hoping it was more of a Princess

Mine has terrible water absorption/wet thigh issues. The slightest bit of rain and it seems to soak it up like a sponge, then liberally distribute it over your inner thighs when you sit on it. Not too bad if wearing waterproofs, but a literal pita when you want to jump on it to go ten miles or so after a shower.

Not an issue in the summer, but I'm going back to stock for the rest of the winter (shorter rides so won't matter too much)- will contact Bagster to see if this is normal. It's a shame cos it looks great and is very comfy.

• Premium Member
Yes, I noticed the foam is sealed in polythene so assumed the fabric in my pictures is porous. This won't affect me when touring as I will be wearing goretex clothing.

In the summer I commute wearing jeans, using overtrousers if it rains. Like you, I might use the OE seat for commuting to avoid a wet arse if I ride home after the bike has been parked in rain. Not a worry as a) my commute is 10 miles so no arse ache and b) swapping the seat is a simple exercise.

Archived