$23 Driving Lights Installed! Light up the night!

zachd

Let's be honest, we all want to be seen as much as possible. I didn't want to break my bank on a set of OEM or Denali driving lights. After a quick search on Amazon, I found a nice set of Nilight® 2 X 18w 1260lm Cree LED Spot Driving Lights (here) for only $23, which had some pretty bitchin' reviews (over 1,350 @ 4.6/5 stars), so I decided to give them a whirl. Looking at the bike and where I could possibly mount them, I made some quick measurements to see what kind of bracket I could potentially use. I ended up ordering a metal bracket from Amazon. The brackets needed to be rounded out on the holes to accommodate the bolts provided in the kit. I used all the provided hardware from the kit and oem bolts, plus a few additional washers I had laying around. I painted the brackets to try and match the color of the fender with some spray paint I had laying around from a previous project. I wired them into an add-a-circuit fuse, so they turn on when the bike is on and off when the bike is turned off. But I also wired them through a rocker switch, so I can turn them on/off when I want as well. I installed this on the plastic trip piece that goes around the top of the tank.

These lights are so worth the money. They are extremely bright at night, almost overpowering the high beam! I know I am definitely seen more during the day and nighttime, which has added a level of comfort.

Parts:
Bullet Electrical Connectors
3/8" Plastic Conduit (to hide wiring)
Mini Add-A-Circuit
16g Wire
Nilight Driving Lights
Brackets

b1tv1wj.jpgvysH594.jpgcG6O633.jpgb9Avqq4.jpgHeyGL6G.jpgEa1FB52.jpgOZS4Czu.jpg11NBQun.jpg5uDWA53.jpgHqJMOmY.jpg8t7c2W8.jpg

• Premium Member
This is pretty awesome.  Would you mind telling me about your wiring? I am a noob at anything electrical.  I've never heard of Add-a-circuit before and it seems really interesting.  Which fuse did you tap into and does it matter what fuse you tap into?   

I had not seen an Add-a-circuit before myself, but as usual, google provides the answer  Add-A-Circuit+Fuse+Adapter+iPhoneiPod+Install+Miata.jpg?token=913IptcYRsyngOdYPEcv40bCQIc%3D
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yep, thats exactly what I used. I tapped into the "AUX" fuse. These dont draw a whole lot of power, so you dont need much more than a 5amp fuse. The switch I installed is a 3 way switch. So on the back of it, it has a load, power, and ground terminal. Plug in your add-a-circuit, and run a wire from that to the "power" terminal. I opted to not run a negative wire to the switch because the LED light on the switch is really bright and annoying, quite frankly. As for the wiring for the lights, I spliced them together. Then you run a wire from the "load" terminal, to the positive connector on the lights. Run your ground wire to the negative of the lights.
Tidy everything up, and you're done.

I will try to take some night pictures soon, and post them.

Yep, thats exactly what I used. I tapped into the "AUX" fuse. These dont draw a whole lot of power, so you dont need much more than a 5amp fuse. The switch I installed is a 3 way switch. So on the back of it, it has a load, power, and ground terminal. Plug in your add-a-circuit, and run a wire from that to the "power" terminal. I opted to not run a negative wire to the switch because the LED light on the switch is really bright and annoying, quite frankly. As for the wiring for the lights, I spliced them together. Then you run a wire from the "load" terminal, to the positive connector on the lights. Run your ground wire to the negative of the lights. Tidy everything up, and you're done.

I will try to take some night pictures soon, and post them.

Thank you Zachd, that would be extremely helpful.  Just curious where you connected your ground wire?  Did you just connect to any bare metal bolt on the frame? 

• 3 weeks later...
sweet! i just got these same light for my FJ! thanks for the pics. i was trying to decide where/how to install, and i think yours is on the money. how are they holding up so far?

sweet! i just got these same light for my FJ! thanks for the pics. i was trying to decide where/how to install, and i think yours is on the money. how are they holding up so far?
They're holding up fantastic. I feel much more confident knowing people see me a lot better now, both day and night.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived