Yamaha Hard Bags

Installed Yamaha hard bags today.
WP_20151002_009_zpscevubaoy.jpg~original
I assume others have noticed that the brake reservoir side doesn't fit quite as well as the other side?  The slide lock on the underside of the bag is canted more due to the thickness of the reservoir holder plate.
WP_20150926_007_zpsc48uyy4m.jpg~original
Obtained cat approval!
STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE!

• Premium Member
Installed Yamaha hard bags today. I assume others have noticed that the brake reservoir side doesn't fit quite as well as the other side?  The slide lock on the underside of the bag is canted more due to the thickness of the reservoir holder plate.
WP_20150926_007_zpsc48uyy4m.jpg~original
Obtained cat approval!
Make sure you slide the rubber bumpers on with the thicker side on the bottom. There IS an up and down.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Installed Yamaha hard bags today. I assume others have noticed that the brake reservoir side doesn't fit quite as well as the other side?  The slide lock on the underside of the bag is canted more due to the thickness of the reservoir holder plate.

Make sure you slide the rubber bumpers on with the thicker side on the bottom. There IS an up and down.
Interesting. My bumpers came with the FJR1300 mounting instructions, which seemed to indicate putting the thicker side up (top). I thought this was to help prevent the bags from sliding forward under braking. Fortunately, I have not glued them on yet. I turned them over and the bags slide on more easily, but the RHS still won't lock with the handle without pushing the slide sideways a little underneath. 

• Premium Member
Interesting. My bumpers came with the FJR1300 mounting instructions, which seemed to indicate putting the thicker side up (top). I thought this was to help prevent the bags from sliding forward under braking. Fortunately, I have not glued them on yet. I turned them over and the bags slide on more easily, but the RHS still won't lock with the handle without pushing the slide sideways a little underneath.
FWIW it looked to me like you'd want thick side down for easier mounting, and that's how I glued mine in place.  They're still a bit finicky to mount, but not too bad. 
Given Yamaha's warnings about running both a tailpack and the side cases, and the fact that the mounting for the tail rack pushes the upper luggage mounts out a half inch or so without doing anything at all to the lower luggage mounts, I thought that the bags might have trouble fitting at all ... but they didn't.  And that rear rack is most excellent for holding the dry bags I usually strap on top.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=91198&g2_serialNumber=2

(all loaded up and ready to ride to Canada)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh, one thing I meant to ask previously and never got around to:

One of my bags' closures doesn't click in place perfectly, it's always under a bit of tension when locked.  Something seems to be catching on one of the latches, it feels almost like the bag isn't fully closed even though it is.  On the right bag if this happens when it's stuffed full of gear then squeezing the cover near the latches will release the tension and latch it up properly.  On the left side bag nothing I do gets it to feel fully latched even when the bag is empty.  I thought at first that it might just need some use to loosen up, but even after a couple of thousand miles with regular use it's still like that.  It bugs me since it always feels like there's something caught in the clamshells.

I'm pretty sure there's a small manufacturing defect such that one of the latches isn't positioned perfectly, inhibiting full engagement.  Either that or something needs just a touch of lube to slide correctly.  Alas, I'm having no luck figuring out just where the problem is and adding a drop of lube to all of the latches didn't help.  I've been resisting taking the bag apart to inspect the internal latches (assuming that's even possible, although it looks at first blush like it is) if only because I don't want to take the chance of wrecking an expensive and hard-to-obtain bag.

My question is: Has anyone else had such a problem, and if so how did you solve it?

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

My question is: Has anyone else had such a problem, and if so how did you solve it?

Thanks for the feedback. I will leave the thicker end down for now and see how it rides. A little leg pressure against the bag allows the handle to lock the bag in place. My RHS bag closes tight with no issue. The other side doesn't seem to be quite as well aligned between the two halves of the bag, but still fits together tightly. I put this down to manufacturing tolerances. Interesting that the mounting instructions come with a "Warning" not to mount them on the MT-09 Tracer and not to exceed 80 mph. Not aware of any differences between the FJ-09 and MT-09 Tracer, other than the 115 mph limit? 

• Premium Member

A little leg pressure against the bag allows the handle to lock the bag in place.

I've occasionally had to jostle the bag around a bit to get the handle to lock too. I've only had that trouble with the right bag but that might be only because I so seldom remove the left bag (that's where the emergency/bad weather stuff goes so it usually stays on the bike when I unpack).

My RHS bag closes tight with no issue. The other side doesn't seem to be quite as well aligned between the two halves of the bag, but still fits together tightly. I put this down to manufacturing tolerances.
Manufacturing tolerances is my suspicion as well. I never looked to see if there were clamshell alignment issues, thanks for that suggestion. It does feel exactly like it does when something thin is stuck in the clamshell seal on the right bag, maybe it's just the lid not aligning perfectly.

Interesting that the mounting instructions come with a "Warning" not to mount them on the MT-09 Tracer and not to exceed 80 mph. Not aware of any differences between the FJ-09 and MT-09 Tracer, other than the 115 mph limit?
That might be it, just legal CYA.  AFAIK the only difference between the FJ and the Tracer is the stickers and an anti-theft key (we in the US get a simple key).

I have to say that I've had it up well above 80mph without trouble; I fairly regularly cruise at 80-90mph. Not (quite) triple digits, though, there's really no place around my area conducive to high speed riding (both because of traffic and those blinky blue light guys) and when I'm touring I like to take small roads.

I noticed improved stability after jacking preload on the rear up to max with the bags half to full load. With it in the stock position (four clicks from max? I forget) it was really, really easy to get it to shake its head unnervingly at highway speeds. It'll still give a shake even with the preload maxed out, but damps out much faster.  My suspicion is that the front wheel gets light at speed, so jacking the rear up a little helps by putting just that little bit more weight on the front, but take that with a big grain of salt because I really have no idea.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I have to say that I've had it up well above 80mph without trouble; I fairly regularly cruise at 80-90mph. Not (quite) triple digits, though, there's really no place around my area conducive to high speed riding (both because of traffic and those blinky blue light guys) and when I'm touring I like to take small roads.

I noticed improved stability after jacking preload on the rear up to max with the bags half to full load. With it in the stock position (four clicks from max? I forget) it was really, really easy to get it to shake its head unnervingly at highway speeds. It'll still give a shake even with the preload maxed out, but damps out much faster.  My suspicion is that the front wheel gets light at speed, so jacking the rear up a little helps by putting just that little bit more weight on the front, but take that with a big grain of salt because I really have no idea.

Took it up to 10 below the limiter and all seems good with empty bags and a 5 on the pre-load. Next run with the bags loaded to 22 lbs. each. May need to add compression damping on the rear end at some point. 

• Premium Member
I also have the one side that fits snugger when mounting, seams to be a bit off on the alignment as mentioned above. I have the rubbers the right way, after previously having them backwards lol. 

I will have to play with the rear shock for my next trip, I also noticed the front tire was a bit lighter when I did my 900km road trip.
Wasn't horrible by any means but was noticeable with load around 40+lbs on the back. suspension was all set stock. 

onxKpmKjCgwk-Izyuo6UrSUzQ_vuP_axFWumocBy3ac99UjPDthc8xKVOYTcYhHCWchPlpi9bN2_Mfx57c15YsgPxWMkY4MrupF2bHMWXy7GiAFWe-QU0YN4k9TFoGaKYJ_rDCPiNAQSGeUe_cSaL-NwWPwoE_4OS4iJR9DXZCasCQ23dtbXzv74AAWc2OhRkeP7ptGoohM-ZGrgNIjQjcW_M13r4dAu9iXnzk1obisYBDj3rnNII4ol4Q0TLuC-itXXl79G7XCJ5TRMHX4LRs_a8zi76gWdyq_H04Z4j8vlUkLxxfiQtvedhvaixJXx-FQ7MujWeuoWfw0_3Q64mQX3kEisrqo9z-1V9F1MS_-wuU-Bz7jq5QCIPkb5Mq0R4fBPV2bpPau1UaSHR65Dj9CrSlj69g257-9kQ2Cee4Zw4odKOgA_7iUnOSzUczFUWOOogHDm0wry4NCWf05F9vXp_X14phTVFLCXRIeBQrAoRQFCs3gQuSvEXENpxUGlbFyqg9SBFX955_vlZI6xQRk-kzOKRvO8nKAVBgBlrfne=w1320-h743-no

Yes, I've had the factory hard bags for many months and they are not precise products with solid fittings.  Attachment and close takes a little wiggle.  When positioned correctly all works well, but the tolerances are a bit vague.

• 5 weeks later...
I had the same issue until I mounted the factory rear rack, installing that rack pushes out the mounts a little and allows the bags to line up perfect, i assume it was made that way.
funny thing is Yamaha doesn't recommend using the rear rack and bags together. Hasn't stopped me though.

• Premium Member
I had the same issue until I mounted the factory rear rack, installing that rack pushes out the mounts a little and allows the bags to line up perfect, i assume it was made that way.
Just installed the rear rack this weekend. Bags go on smooth as butter now! 
I think the rear rack makes the bike look more complete also. 

• Premium Member
funny thing is Yamaha doesn't recommend using the rear rack and bags together. Hasn't stopped me though.
I think it's the rear top box and bags they don't recommend.  I did note the rack is stamped with 11 lbs weight limit. 

Archived