Until the fender eliminators come out, poors mans trick

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
I couldn't stand the stock tail look any longer. I took off the center section, flipped the licence plate holder (gave it an upward slope), and remounted it. Required elongating the wider holes 1/4 inch each side, and buying longer bolts.

Here is the procedure as I remember it (tired now, will revise it later):

1. Under the rear seat on the right side, remove the three electrical connectors by lifting up on the tab and pulling them apart. This is the two turn signals and taillight.
2. Under the rear seat, remove the four nuts securing the license plate assembly to the under carriage.
3. Drop the entire assembly down, being careful when fishing the wires through undercarriage opening.
4. Remove the four allen head bolts and four bushings securing the license plate to the connecting piece and retain, then discard the connecting piece after using it as a guide. These allen head bolts will not be reused, but the bushings will.
5. From under the bike, using the connecting piece as a guide (reverse direction so the bolt holes line up), figure out how far to open up the forward (wider), two bolt holes. I used a rat tale file and it took about ¼ inch outboard on each of the forward two bolt holes (Don't make the holes wider, just an oblong shape).
6. Blow out the aluminum shavings caused by opening up the holes.
7. Go to the store and buy four M6 metric bolts (stainless is preferred), four M6 washers, four larger washers just incase, and make the bolts about 1-1/2 inch long. Probably could get away with shorter bolts, but you will be taking up slack. Cut off the excess length if required.
8. Remove the two license plate bracket screws from the license plate assembly, and reverse the direction 180m degrees so the license plate will mount with more of an angle.
9. Tighten the two license plate bracket screws. You will also need to turn the license plate 180 degrees as the bracket was reversed 180 degrees.
10. Feed the three electrical wires through the hole in the bottom of the tail section.
11. Reinstall the four bushings in the license plate assembly so things will not crush.
12. While holding the license plate assembly in position, from under the rear seat, install the four large washers, four small washers, and four bolts (blue loctite may be used on the bolt threads if desired, but it  is not necessary). Hold the plastic divider piece up if the large washers are to big to fit through the plastic divider.
13. Tighten up the four bolts one at a time, a little bit at a time,  until all slack is taken up. Not too tight.
14. Connect the three electrical connectors. Note, one will be reversed so no need to worry about installing in the wrong connector (match the grey connector pieces (2 places) and black connector pieces (1 place).
15. Turn on the ignition and verify the turn signals and brake light still work.
16. Button things up.

20150116_131301_zps2ca3e2c8.jpg

9356b78a-1a2d-44e9-a7b2-94e0fee767ec_zps26d72487.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
20150116_104134_zps28d53927.jpg

20150116_104229_zps4df872e8.jpg

20150116_103752_zpsc4dd2b74.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
20150116_103906_zpsd5666a48.jpg

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Here's the tail of my bike. Just finished a couple minutes ago. Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit for the FZ-09, but without the turn signal mounts attached, and micro LED turn signals bolted through some existing holes in the tail. Removed the luggage holders and grab rails (which can be re-attached in minutes if I need them for a trip). Flush mount LED's for the front turn signals should be in next week.

0dkxGNQ.jpgTmf8xbq.jpg

Here's the tail of my bike. Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit for the FZ-09, but without the turn signal mounts attached, and micro LED turn signals bolted through some existing holes in the tail. Removed the luggage holders and grab rails (which can be re-attached in minutes if I need them for a trip). 
0dkxGNQ.jpg

FigJam, clean job with the filler plugs! Very nice! I'd be interested to see how bright the LED turn signals are.
@gsorider they are blindingly bright. WAY brighter than the stock signals. Especially if you catch them dead on. I still have orange spots in my eyes. Added bonus that they don't stick out the side, and won't interfere with bags. When I finish the job with the front signals, I'll post a video with them all flashing.

• Premium Member
So, did you cut the connecting metal piece shorter? I'm missing a step.
Nope, just unscrewed the 4 lower bolts and removed it. I did have to widen 2 of the mount holes as the holes did not all line up. No key receptacle to worry about like on the FZ-09. When I get a chance I will write a detailed how to, too tired right now and riding tomorrow.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
FigJam, clean job with the filler plugs! Very nice! I'd be interested to see how bright the LED turn signals are.
@gsorider they are blindingly bright. WAY brighter than the stock signals. Especially if you catch them dead on. I still have orange spots in my eyes. Added bonus that they don't stick out the side, and won't interfere with bags. When I finish the job with the front signals, I'll post a video with them all flashing.
Nice, Maybe add a review in the review section if you like. Oh, added instructions to first post.

Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

FigJam, where did you find those plugs? (I'm in Canada, I think you are too???)I'm considering removing the passenger grips, looks like you used 2 filler plugs on top of the tail section. I hope you find a dry twisty road soon, that's a wide chicken strip! :D

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

@deersslayer I found them, at Lordco. Rummaged through a bunch of bins to find ones that fit. Were about $0.75 each. Take the bolts with you, so you buy the right size. They are easy to pop off, so if I'm ever going on a trip with a lady friend, I can easily reattach the handles in minutes.

Note that they just barely cover the holes, so if I'm in a torrential downpour, water may get in, but bikes aren't waterproof anyway.

@RandyD my local store had them, but if you search for micro LED turn signals on eBay you should find them. Don't tighten them too hard. I bought some black rubber shower hose washers to go between them and the bike so they fit nice without turning and tightening too much.

The sticker on the back called them chicklet LEDs but I could only find the, by searching for micro. I think they come in smoke too, but they probably aren't as bright as clear.

I ordered the Yamaha tail tidy. Maybe I should have waited cause I do still want to use my Helmet Guardian and attacked 10" Admore lighting bar. I need this cause I ride with a 36L Coo Case 90% of the time.
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

@deersslayer I found them, at Lordco. Rummaged through a bunch of bins to find ones that fit. Were about $0.75 each. Take the bolts with you, so you buy the right size. They are easy to pop off, so if I'm ever going on a trip with a lady friend, I can easily reattach the handles in minutes.  
Note that they just barely cover the holes, so if I'm in a torrential downpour, water may get in, but bikes aren't waterproof anyway.
I found some with 1 & 1/4". Barely covered the left hole, but not the right side because it is not centered on my bike. :( So I tried their next size up, 1 & 3/4": http://i.imgur.com/WcU99Ah.jpg
I need to find size 1 & 1/2". ::)

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Archived