Rear preload adjustment for touring

builderbob

• Premium Member
Oh, for what it's worth, the first tour I did on the FJ I never even bothered to adjust preload -- I just loaded up the bike and rode it for 900 miles. I had so many other things I was breaking in and tuning up on that ride (electronics, luggage, windscreen, etc) that the suspension didn't make the list until after I got home.

Even in that state it worked well enough to fly up VT17 eastbound and to drag hard parts up in Smuggler's Notch. So if you can't get the tool right away you might just ride it as-is with an eye for doing better in the future. I bet you have plenty of fun anyway.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh, for what it's worth, the first tour I did on the FJ I never even bothered to adjust preload -- I just loaded up the bike and rode it for 900 miles. I had so many other things I was breaking in and tuning up on that ride (electronics, luggage, windscreen, etc) that the suspension didn't make the list until after I got home. 
Even in that state it worked well enough to fly up VT17 eastbound and to drag hard parts up in Smuggler's Notch. So if you can't get the tool right away you might just ride it as-is with an eye for doing better in the future. I bet you have plenty of fun anyway.

Well, that's good to know. Actually, my biggest concern is that it will still lean on the side stand when loaded. I've had that problem before on another bike.

• Premium Member
Well, that's good to know. Actually, my biggest concern is that it will still lean on the side stand when loaded. I've had that problem before on another bike.

I've had bikes where it was troublesome fully loaded, but the FJ isn't one of them; no problems at all with sidestand length.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived