Heated grip issue

pavemike

Hi all, I'm hoping someone with a service manual can help me out.  My Yamaha heated grips stopped working on me after working like a champ for a month (menu button doesn't bring up the heated grips option anymore).  Tonight I pulled apart the throttle housing and checked wiring, and checked the connectors under the right fairing.  Everything was disconnected and reconnected and the wires weren't kinked or cut anywhere. I can't seem to find anywhere that shows what fuse the grips run off of, but I swapped out all the terminal/aux fuses (2 amp) with fresh ones one at a time.  Anyone have any ideas?

I stand corrected, but as far as I know there is no fuse for grips. It sounds like one of them has gone open circuit. If you have a multimeter you could check that there is some resistance in each grip.

If you can't figure it out easily, call your dealer and see if they are still under warranty.  I'm pretty sure the YES extended warranty for the bike covers genuine yamaha accessories on the bike as well.  I'd be surprised if the standard 1 year warranty didn't cover accessories as well or that the grips don't have their own warranty.

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Steve is correct, it doesn't appear that there is a fuse protecting this circuit. However, my gut says it has to be fused somehow - it's just not clear from the wiring diagram how it was done because none of the 3 fuse boxes are labeled with a Heated grip fuse.

The ecu feeds the grips on a YW/RD wire and the grips are grounded by a black wire which runs into 2 different multi connector splices. So you could check both of those wires for an open or short. You'll need to pull the tank and unplug the ecu to do this. (Connector 2). The ground splices are also located there IIRC along the rh side of the frame.

It's more likely that there's an issue with the grips or the wire that leads to them or between them.

As discussed in another thread- because the grips are wired in a series circuit, a failure ANYWHERE in the circuit will cause the grips to not work. I would check the resistance value of each grip where it plugs into the bike, for starters. You're looking for a failed grip or broken wire.

It's great that you checked the connections and plugged
and unplugged them. Also visually inspect the connectors to make sure the pins aren't slightly backed out and not making contact to each other.

Root had a good idea too- call the dealership and check.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you find.

Skip

However, my gut says it has to be fused somehow - it's just not clear from the wiring diagram how it was done because none of the 3 fuse boxes are labeled with a Heated grip fuse.
My suspicion is that the ECU/grip controller has an electronic overload protection circuit. I have a PDM60 power distribution box and that doesn't use fuses either, short out a circuit and it shuts down until the fault is removed and the power cycled. 

• Premium Member
I stand corrected, but as far as I know there is no fuse for grips. It sounds like one of them has gone open circuit. If you have a multimeter you could check that there is some resistance in each grip.
Convention would say that all factory wiring has a fuse somewhere. It is probably an auxiliary fuse or piggybacked on the ECU fuse. No circuit will be left without a fuse. Just bad engineering.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Convention would say that all factory wiring has a fuse somewhere. It is probably an auxiliary fuse or piggybacked on the ECU fuse. No circuit will be left without a fuse. Just bad engineering.
not always - ECUs & CANBUS controllers often have current sensing built in and shut down the supply much quicker than it takes for a fuse to melt. The control circuitry looks for current flow in a specific range and if the current draw is under or over the range then the circuit will be disabled and/or generate a warning. This can make tracing a fault a PITA as you may be looking for a low/high impedance rather than a short or open circuit. I worked for Xerox when they introduced CANBUS to their printers which presented me with a learning curve that I didn't much enjoy. I much preferred old school stuff you could fix rather than just unplug something to swap out. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Thanks all.  I'm still getting used to this whole CANBUS thing.  Looks like I need to pick up a new set of grips.  It always sucks to be the first person with an issue.  Besides the grips, the FJ has been a great bike.  I'll update the thread when I get the new grips on

• 10 months later...
Thanks all.  I'm still getting used to this whole CANBUS thing.  Looks like I need to pick up a new set of grips.  It always sucks to be the first person with an issue.  Besides the grips, the FJ has been a great bike.  I'll update the thread when I get the new grips on 

Hey pavemike, what happened to your grips? I have exactly the same problem: stopped working, checked all fuses and wiring, not sure what else I can do apart from going to the dealer. Any advice?

• 2 years later...

This same thing happened to me today. Installed OEM grips part # 2PP-H29A0-V0-0

Everything worked fine for a couple hours, then out of nowhere, the bike does not detect the grips anymore on the menu.

I checked all the fuses since it doesn't look like they have their own, and they are all ok.

I did take a multimeter and did a continuity check on each grip where they connect to the bike under the right side fairing (two 3 prong connectors, with only 2 wires each).

The right grip shows continuity (grey connector). The left grip does not show any continuity. I am guessing this is the problem- do you guys think I am on the right track? I traced the wires to the left grip from the connector all the way back to the grip and don't see any binding, tears, ect. 

Does anyone know if the left grip can be purchased separately (if so part #?). 

Really sucks since I shelled out $230 for the set, and already they failed.

The only thing I can think of is that I wrapped the left handlebar with a layer of electrical tape before wrestling the grip on during install. This was to insulate the grip from the metal (there is another thread on this which complained of uneven heating). When the grips did work, they were fine as far as evenness.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks

Archived