FJR Saddlebags on an FJ-09

BVEBRAD

I noticed several posts regarding the FJR saddlebags being used on the FJ-09.  I will be buying the bags for my bike fairly soon, or perhaps they'll be a Christmas gift from my wife.  I've also read that Yamaha isn't producing the FJR bags any longer.  I'm hoping this is strictly the unpainted ones.  My plan is to buy new saddlebags for a 2014 FJR.  The color of those bags is Candy Red, the same as my 2015 FJ-09.  My problem is that no one has addressed the mounting hardware used.  Are people using the bag hardware for the FJ-09 in conjunction with the bags from the FJR or is hardware from an FJR used on the FJ-09?  Any info that can be provided will be appreciated.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

A couple things. You need the FJ-09 lower mounts, just as you would for the city bags. The only difference between the bags are the lids. They mount the exact same way as the city bags that are marketed for the FJ-09. Yamaha only discontinued the unpainted FJR bags. The painted ones can still be purchased new. You will also need a lock set. They make a kit that allows you to rekey the locks to the ignition as well if you would like to. Everything is sold separately.

(Shad bags hold full faces. Givis might too, not sure. FWIW.)
true. I just prefer the mounting hardware and ability to key all the bags to the ignition. I'm willing to pay a premium for that. If I remember, there wasn't too much of a price difference anyway. Even if there was, I'm happy with my choice.

Here is what your bike will look like when finished installing the '14 FJR bags... 
[url=]http://fj-09.org/thread/2537/clean-bikes-camera[/url]

Thanks for posting that picture.  I love the way the bike looks with the FJR bags.  I was at the dealer today for my breakin maintenance and priced out the 2014 FJR bags.  I must admit I was a bit shocked at the price but yutahey, you only life once.  Now I just have to wait for this years tax refund.  Thanks again everyone.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Here is what your bike will look like when finished installing the '14 FJR bags... 
[url=]http://fj-09.org/thread/2537/clean-bikes-camera[/url]

Thanks for posting that picture.  I love the way the bike looks with the FJR bags.  I was at the dealer today for my breakin maintenance and priced out the 2014 FJR bags.  I must admit I was a bit shocked at the price but yutahey, you only life once.  Now I just have to wait for this years tax refund.  Thanks again everyone.
Keep an eye on eBay. You may be surprised one day by a good deal.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...