Akrapovic Install On An FJ09

woozer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And when you consider that 1 HP = 8 lbs., if you lost 80 lbs. it would feel the same as about 10 extra HP. Not to mention the handling improvements that accrue from taking so much weight off the top of the bike...

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

And when you consider that 1 HP = 8 lbs., if you lost 80 lbs. it would feel the same as about 10 extra HP. Not to mention the handling improvements that accrue from taking so much weight off the top of the bike...
Τhe exhaust is lower , not the top but i agree about the weight loss

• Premium Member
No.

However, remapping will probably make a nice difference whether you put on an aftermarket exhaust or not, and block off plates or not. They are mapped by Yamaha to get them through EPA, EURO4 and CARB testing, not to have them run with an optimum mixture. I believe proper remapping will help even a completely stock bike.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Same here... installed the full Ti system with the DB killer left installed and love it. Gives the triple just a bit more growl, without annoying the eardrums. Fair bit of weight difference between stock and Akro too. Mechanic friend of mine says Akros seem to last longer as well. He has one on his Kawi ZRX1200 and the sound level hasn't changed since new, no need for repacking, etc. You dont mind spending big $$$ if you get quality product that lasts.

• 1 month later...
Appreciate all the opinions here. Is the general consensus that people are happy with the Akrapovic Ti?

I would love an exhaust that is just a bit more aggressive without annoying the white picket fence folks on my street. I had a Corvette with a Borla system that was too loud and had too much resonance. Killed the ability to use it for commuting (though the small kids in the neighborhood loved it). Since then I have been somewhat wary of aftermarket exhaust. It is also a lot of scratch for what some have described as a minor difference in sound/weight/performance.

For those who have put this exhaust on (especially if you have flashed the ECU as well) was it worth it?

Appreciate all the opinions here. Is the general consensus that people are happy with the Akrapovic Ti?  
I would love an exhaust that is just a bit more aggressive without annoying the white picket fence folks on my street. I had a Corvette with a Borla system that was too loud and had too much resonance. Killed the ability to use it for commuting (though the small kids in the neighborhood loved it). Since then I have been somewhat wary of aftermarket exhaust. It is also a lot of scratch for what some have described as a minor difference in sound/weight/performance.

For those who have put this exhaust on (especially if you have flashed the ECU as well) was it worth it?
Was it worth it?? Thats a personal question and for most.... on the pocket book. I will be honest..... the only reason I jumped on the Akro Ti was that I was able to buy it at dealer cost from a buddy of mine that has since sold his shop. Otherwise..... would I have paid full price. Me? Probably not. Don't get me wrong...... I love it..... but I'm an average rider that is more on the touring side of sport touring. I like the sound, albeit, it is not a huuuuge sound difference....... just enough that the engine sounds better. Weight savings...... sure its all good. Performance??? I haven't flashed the ECU so I couldnt tell by the seat of the pants if there is much of a HP gain. So it comes down to..... I was perfectly happy with the stock exhaust and without the savings I received I would have stayed with it. But having said that...... I am happy I have it..... sounds great and really..... why do most of us change exhausts??? First is probably the sound if we are being honest. Just my 2 cents worth. I feel like I appreciate my Corbin more than the Akro....... just saying. Got a coin ya can toss? 

• 1 month later...
I've had an Akropovic Titanium mine on since the bike had 400 miles on it - bought it from Revzilla - but did not install the drop in cat, then got the ECU reflash from 2WDW for the pipe. It made a big difference and I did not need to install block off plates to prevent popping on decel. My guess about 5bhp and 2 ft/lbs of torque. Sound is nice, not loud.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I swapped out the stock exhaust for the Akro TI and had 2w Dyno remap the ECU.  That was about a year ago. I found all aspects of performance were improved, especially throttle response. I thought that the cost was reasonable for the improvements. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Installed a used Akra Ti on my 4 month old FJ, last night.
I removed the insert. What a PITA
Almoat been hit twice in the last month on the FJ, not an issue on my 10 Road Glide.
8-)

I already had the FT ECU flashed with the DynoJwt Stock/Stock trims.
I'll update tbe trims, once I the time to pull the ECU back out.

Put 20 miles on her today.
No backfire or popping.
Yes loud, but my last Adventure tour was a Buell Thunder.
So not that bad.
Wife liked it, in the house.
Her comment was, she couldn't hear the stock exhaust in the house

But once I ride with a group later this weekend, I'll get feedback.
It always soynd differant to tge rider on the bike.
8-)

Have a Vid, sitting on the bike at differant Revs.
But have to figure out how to upload
2015 FJ-09, Red/Black, Hard Sidecases, Rear Rack with 39L & 50L Top Case, Tank bag with GPS cover. Comfort seat, Now Corban seat, Givi Crash Bars/Sidestand Foot/Sport Touring Windshield, Rad protector, Blaster-x taillight/flasher, HighTechSpeed Proton FZ6R flushmounts (Front) & X-Arc (Rear) additional turn signals & markers, Fender Eliminator/LED plate light. CF fenders/Front extenstion, chain protector and frame filler. Akra Ti exhaust. FTECU with Akro open tune.

Archived