Be very mindful upon taking delivery of new bikes

• Premium Member
LOL. My dealer wanted to charge me for the fairing bolts that fell out on the way home! I had to throw a fit to get those replaced free, I'm sure a gift card would have been out of the question. My oil filler plug nearly fell out on the ride home too.

• Premium Member
LOL. My dealer wanted to charge me for the fairing bolts that fell out on the way home! I had to throw a fit to get those replaced free, I'm sure a gift card would have been out of the question. My oil filler plug nearly fell out on the ride home too.
You know, you guys are really making me appreciate my dealer's mechanic.  When I bought my second bike from that dealer I saw the grease pencil marks where he had marked every bolt he tightened.  There was no better way to let me know he was thorough.  Fifteen years later the FJ had the same grease pencil marks.  That's one of the reasons I bought the bike where I did, and the more I hear about mechanics not even doing the basics the more I appreciate the one I have. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member

You know, you guys are really making me appreciate my dealer's mechanic.  When I bought my second bike from that dealer I saw the grease pencil marks where he had marked every bolt he tightened.  There was no better way to let me know he was thorough.  Fifteen years later the FJ had the same grease pencil marks.  That's one of the reasons I bought the bike where I did, and the more I hear about mechanics not even doing the basics the more I appreciate the one I have. 

Jim where do you live... Name this great dealership.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Thanks for not plastering the dealership all over the interwebz. It always amazes me when people jump the gun in these situations. People are human; they make mistakes. It's how you resolve those mistakes that defines the quality of service. It sounds like the dealership went above and beyond. I think you should retitle your thread....
Great first post with no introduction or anything. A mistake like that could cost somebody their life. Are you from that dealership? eyes_zpsjv0eqh58.gif
I knew I would get a response like that... I do perform visual inspections along with regular checking of bolts and fasteners on my bikes/vehicles. While it doesn't preclude the dealership for not doing their job correctly, it sounded like they did a good job of rectifying the problem. Now if the dealership tried dodging the situation, I understand the anger. In my opinion the OP jumped the gun. Hopefully you don't ever make mistakes in your profession...

I get fired when I screw up. And nobody's lives were on the line. Just some piddly pile of computers. Ok, so they do $5million/minute worth of transactions or publications of the trade.

It is unforgivable to screw up un-crating. The customer has NO idea what "correct" looks like. If the tech doesn't either he has no business turning a wrench.

• Premium Member

Jim where do you live... Name this great dealership.
The dealer is Billerica Motorsports, Billerica MA.  The mechanic's name is Joe.  He's really quiet and considered and looks to be almost the epitome of the grizzled old mechanic. 
He did the service on my SV650S for the first few years while I built up my skills and confidence.  That's when I noticed his workmanship.  Then I went and bought a Triumph and rode that until just last spring, so I hadn't been back until I started shopping around for FJs.  Their shop was top of my list almost entirely because of Joe, even though they're a small shop and wouldn't be able to price as quite as low as the big ones.  (And they did the whole deal via e-mail, which was nice, all I had to do was show up with the check and the trade-in.)

When I mentioned how much I appreciated Joe's work to some friends I learned that one of my riding buddies whose opinion (and wrenching) I really trust had worked in a shop with him in the 70s.  He said he was a great mechanic too.

These days I am doing most of my own service, but for anything complicated I have no qualms in taking it to Joe.

Another area mechanic that I really like is Galen, owner of independent shop Bikeworx in Hudson, MA.  I used to take the Daytona to him when they were still in Maynard.  Their Hudson location is a bit far out for me, alas.  He can be a bit more expensive (although he was great for tires) but he was pretty damn methodical about stuff like valve adjustments and I really appreciated that, there wasn't any guessing as to whether he'd done a careful job.  He's good people, worth supporting.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived