exhaust and remap

jeravoy

Ive had my tracer a couple of months now and im looking for an aftermarket exhaust like scorpion or similar.my question is do i need to remap my bike.keeping the stock filter in

Or i saw an mt09 owner on YouTube with a gpr exhaust from a honda cb500x with a slight mod to make it fit .but do i need to remap.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Depends on the system you choose. If it is purpose built for the Tracer then the maker will offer guidance on any tuning needed.

If you are going to buy something pretty or noisy off Ebay without any provenance of it being designed for the Tracer then good luck. It may work, it may cause the bike to run rich, lean or not at all.

What is evident from posts in this forum and others by those that know their shit, few exhausts give any benefit to performance on their own. Some will reduce performance or increase fuel consumption without a remap. With a proper ECU remap you will get the full benefit of any potential performance increase and maybe improved fuel consumption.

You have invested £8000 (I'm assuming you are British as you say Tracer) in a new(ish) bike. Why skimp on getting it set up right and maybe damaging the brilliant motor? I'd rather wait until I had saved up enough money to do the job properly and just enjoy the bike as it is for now. Well, actually, I will save up to pay for a decent holiday in France on my Tracer next year as the bike is fine as it is for me.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

In general, I agree with Wessie. Any COMPLETE system that has redesigned primary header tubes and a flow-through silencer and possibly no cat will certainly benefit, and likely need a remap to run correctly. That said, a chambered design like the Akra, with db killer would be as far as I would venture with the stock tune. My bike still retains the chambered stock silencer, albeit modified as it is, and a cat. Since the original front pipe is in place the AFR on the dyno was still flat as can be at 13:1, wheras I suspect sytems that deviate significantly in design would have dips or humps as the VE (volumetric efficiency) would be affected. In summary...most full systems unless specified otherwise should be complimented with a reflash.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Im thinking of keeping the header pipes and just cutting the pipe at the sensor and adding a different end can .just a custom can with a baffle. Would this be acceptable with stock map as i have seen people doing similar to mt09's like scorpion end cans

• Premium Member
Im thinking of keeping the header pipes and just cutting the pipe at the sensor and adding a different end can .just a custom can with a baffle. Would this be acceptable with stock map as i have seen people doing similar to mt09's like scorpion end cans
Define what you mean by acceptable? Are you seeking views/approval on the aesthetics or whether the bike will run properly? Are you seeking more power, noise or something to reflect a pretty view as you pass the window of the carpet showroom?

Without knowing on exactly which can you propose to use it's difficult to give an opinion, informed or otherwise. Mechanically, the bike is almost identical to the MT09, with a different map. If the MT09 runs okay with your desired can, without melting a piston or two then use the information from the MT09 forums to inform your decision with regards to performance.

Only you can decide if you like the look. 

Whatever you decide, report back with a picture so we can entertain ourselves with witty repartée 

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I need to see if the GPR I bought for the FZ09 will work with the FJ09. I think the center stand might be an issue with the muffler placement.

And I have cutting tools, and know how to weld, so what's the solution? :)

Either way, photos will have to follow. LOL

No.

Unless I have read your question wrong, cutting the pipe at the sensor means you are deleting the cat, which is restrictive. Thus the exhaust flow will be more direct to the muffler outlet with very little back pressure.

if you change the flow of exhaust out of an engine, you need more or less fuel to be injected into the engine. A reflash or Power Commander will make the bike run correctly.

Skip.

Ok .think im going for the reflash.next thing is where to go and get ecu flashed.im in norfolk over xmas and i will be taking ecu off bike as i have torn my Achilles so no riding for 6 - 8 weeks.any good recommendations and good fair price

Ok .think im going for the reflash.next thing is where to go and get ecu flashed.im in norfolk over xmas and i will be taking ecu off bike as i have torn my Achilles so no riding for 6 - 8 weeks.any good recommendations and good fair price
How about our site sponsor 2 Wheel DynoWorks who has done thousands of ECU flashes and guarantees their work? And has dyno proven results for each exhaust along with countless reviews on this site alone. 

im in norfolk over xmas
I take it you will be in Norfolk (UK), as many readers here are in North America they may take it you meant Norfolk, Virginia, USA. 
'raid I don't know of anyone there, would think you'd be limited to Norwich or King's Lynn though.

• Premium Member
there was a chap on Ebay, based in Leeds, Yorkshire, UK offering a mail in service - no idea if he is competent but we need a guinea pig...

Has anyone used a pipewerx slipon.they have quoted on website as no need to remap.
If there's no need to remap then its because the exhaust has the exact same flow as stock exhaust (highly unlikely). If that's the case, then you're not going to be making any more power than stock. Otherwise its all smoke and mirrors. Any exhaust will need a remap on this bike.

Archived