Which gas?

I know it takes premium, but I forgot that in my rush to top up the tank for winter storage. I used regular with the proper amount of fuel stabilizer. I won't start it until about end of March, so there's lots of time to siphon out the regular and replace it with high test.

Question for those already regularly riding their FJ-09: Have you run it with regular gas?

My little 2009 WR250X thumper also takes high test. I once had to fill it with regular gas and it ran fine in outside 25 C temperature, no predetonation pinging.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Worst case scenario, a tank of non-premium gas may make the bike under perform slightly. A tank or two of premium after that is enough to get the bike back up to snuff again. My car is the same way, and it's manual even says that if you can't find premium it's okay to use regular, but expect a slight dip in performance. It will self correct when you're back to the recommended fuel.

Don't think you need to worry about any long term harm, but siphoning out and replacing with premium won't hurt either.

I have run a number of tanks with regular on the FZ. I didn't ride it hard, as I was on a trip.  Regular or premium have the exact same power potential. The only difference between the two is that Premium has an additive to delay firing in high compression engines where the compression causes heat that may cause the fuel to explode before top dead center (this is how diesels work, no spark just compression). In that case the piston is rising and wants to descend backwards thus causing all hell to break loose in that or those cylinders. PINGING occurs, which is no less then parts of the engine trying to go backwards and parts trying to go forward. Worst case, you blow a hole in the top of the piston. I have a High Compression engine in my car and have never used premium as it never pinged, but I'm not going to do that on the FJ.  Small engine, higher revs, potential to get hot quicker, etc.

I don't think you need to worry about it. Just fill up after 70-80 miles to get a little of that pre-detonation deterrent additive mixed in. In most cases this becomes a problem after carbon builds up in the engine, like on the piston, and heats up to a nice red glow. A real expert may be able to explain it better.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Most cars have an ECU that will correct for detonation if you use a lesser grade of gas. Not sure about the FJ ECU?
My C6 Vette requires premium, but works just fine on regular (the manual says it is ok). I do notice a slight decrease in MPG and power, but for commuting, it is fine. For our once a month GTG, I use premium.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I've owned several bikes that required premium gas. I've used regular every other tank and never had a problem.
That is a good idea.  I may just do the same. There is always some gas in the tank when you fill up and most of the time you are not winding it out to the red line. Thanks for the idea. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived