Fuse box

Guest dmizer

Where can I locate the fuse box/panel for this bike? Specifically, where is the fuse for the cigarette lighter power socket? I plugged my heated gloves into the cigarette lighter adapter this morning, and after powering on, they turned off and wouldn't come back on.

Also, where can I access an accessory power connector? I'm aware that there is one under the cowling on the right side of the instrument panel, but I'm already using it for my GPS unit.

• Premium Member
Where can I locate the fuse box/panel for this bike? Specifically, where is the fuse for the cigarette lighter power socket? I plugged my heated gloves into the cigarette lighter adapter this morning, and after powering on, they turned off and wouldn't come back on. 
Also, where can I access an accessory power connector? I'm aware that there is one under the cowling on the right side of the instrument panel, but I'm already using it for my GPS unit.
Fuse blocks are on the right side under the easy to remove panel. 
Two Fuse blocks are on the right side.

Multiple electrical connectors to tap into for auxiliary power. Just remove the windscreen and underlying cover.
4215261.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
You probably popped the 2 amp fuse (96) which powers auxiliary DC Jack (101), or the cigarette lighter. Depending on how much power your heated equipment draws, this 2 amps is probably not enough. The wiring is very thin (18 or 22 gage, not sure which) leading up to the aux connector, so simply adding a higher rated fuse is not recommended.

4216021.jpg

4216027.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
As Lewis says, your gloves are probably drawing more than 2 amps, especially when you first connect them as the inrush current will be higher than the that drawn once settled down

I have Keis heated gear. This comes with a fused lead that connects directly to the battery - an easy job on the Tracer. The lead can be coiled up under the seat when not in use. I then plug my jacket into this lead and the jacket has sockets in it for gloves and foot warmers. The lead comes with a range of fuses so you fit the lowest needed for your set up. Currently (see what I did there!) I only use the jacket but I might get the insoles too, so I will have to increase the fuse value.

As the lead is permanently connected to the battery I can also use it to connect a charger - Keis has an adapter to connect to the Optimate/Tanya style lead commonly used for chargers.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
As Lewis says, your gloves are probably drawing more than 2 amps, especially when you first connect them as the inrush current will be higher than the that drawn once settled down 
I have Keis heated gear. This comes with a fused lead that connects directly to the battery - an easy job on the Tracer. The lead can be coiled up under the seat when not in use. I then plug my jacket into this lead and the jacket has sockets in it for gloves and foot warmers. The lead comes with a range of fuses so you fit the lowest needed for your set up. Currently (see what I did there!) I only use the jacket but I might get the insoles too, so I will have to increase the fuse value.

As the lead is permanently connected to the battery I can also use it to connect a charger - Keis has an adapter to connect to the Optimate/Tanya style lead commonly used for chargers.

Thanks for taking a lead on this. 

You probably popped the 2 amp fuse (96) which powers auxiliary DC Jack (101), or the cigarette lighter. Depending on how much power your heated equipment draws, this 2 amps is probably not enough. The wiring is very thin (18 or 22 gage, not sure which) leading up to the aux connector, so simply adding a higher rated fuse is not recommended.
Yup, that's exactly the one I burned through. I hadn't considered replacing it with a smaller fuse though. Been around long enough to know that there are reasons for things being what they are.

Yup, that's exactly when it went. Just as I turned the glove on.

I have Taichi heated gloves, and the leads for them also have an inline fuse so I could do the same. I just like having the protection of bike off = power off. I was cheating by plugging it into the cigarette lighter adapter. The previous day, I rode for several hours with the gloves on and connected to the cigarette lighter socket. Worked great. I should have expected the wiring to be inadequate though.

• Premium Member
Did you come up with a solution for this? I can do some more research for you but wanted to ask first.  
Do you have the 2nd 12v accessory outlet installed on the RH side (opposite the stock 12v plug)?

Skip
the 2nd socket has a 2A fuse, with a thin cable too. If the gloves are rated under 4 amps then you could connect the gloves into a parallel circuit drawing current from the wiring from both sockets - less of a faff to wire directly into the battery.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Did you come up with a solution for this? I can do some more research for you but wanted to ask first.  
Do you have the 2nd 12v accessory outlet installed on the RH side (opposite the stock 12v plug)?

Skip
the 2nd socket has a 2A fuse, with a thin cable too. If the gloves are rated under 4 amps then you could connect the gloves into a parallel circuit drawing current from the wiring from both sockets - less of a faff to wire directly into the battery.

Yes that would work, but as you mentioned - lot of work which could be avoided by going directly to the battery. My gear is connected in that way.

I was going to see if it would be possible to connect the 12v plug to a different circuit.

-skip

Skip
I found and replaced the burned out fuse, but I haven't come up with a good solution for connecting the gloves mostly because I haven't done much digging yet. My gloves need 5 amps, so connecting them in in parallel with the accessory sockets (as wessie suggested) wouldn't work.

I do not have the 2nd 12v accessory outlet installed on the RH side, but I believe my GPS is connected to that power.

I've just hooked up the gloves directly to the battery, and I discovered that the glove makers were very thoughtful when they made these things. The power tap includes a smart switch that will disconnect the glove power when the key is off. In order to accomplish this, a third wire is included which can be used to tap into any power source on the bike (like the tail lights) that comes alive when the key is turned on. The gloves only come on if the third wire circuit is live.

Love these gloves.

Archived