Chinese Steering Damper with bracket. Anyone seen this?

rambodog

Guest kernowjim
it will be S*H*I*T.    
Don't beat around the bush, kernow: say what you mean. ::)
Bit too passive-aggressive or just outright rude-aggressive? (this is my default setting according to my wife)

I got one of these to reduce steering oscillation that can happen at passing speeds. The stabilizer makes oscillation less likely to begin with normal riding, but doesn't reduce oscillation
I cant help but think that if the suspension is adjusted, you wont need a device like this.  I use a Scotts and GPR on dirt bikes, but I am constantly hitting tree roots and rocks. When I first bought my bike, I noticed the light feeling front end at interstate or passing speeds, after tweaking the suspension I have never noticed it again.
I just got back from a week long road trip, part of it was through the barren wastes of central Nevada, MANY opportunities to bring her up into triple digits and no head shake at all.

I've tweaked every suspension option and not been able to get rid of head shake, which can begin with a bump or buffeting around 85. It would straighten out if I take all weight off one hand, but not something I want to do every time I pass a truck. FYI I ride with hard bags and so far this damper is only thing to avoid it. I'd be more comfortable with real Scott's as I get the feeling this one isn't as responsive. If I find a used one looks like I could reuse this mount, which they don't make yet.

• Supporting Member
Have you tried raising the forks in the triple clamps a few mm? it made a big difference in feel for me. Putting a little bit of forward weight bias got rid of the vague, flighty feeling front end when at higher speed or hard acceleration. I noticed it on the FZ09 that I test rode as well. The wet noodle of a rear shock doesn't help this feeling either.
When you say that you have tweaked every suspension setting, I am assuming that you have correct rate springs for your weight and have sag set correctly?
Good luck getting this sorted out.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Have you tried raising the forks in the triple clamps a few mm? it made a big difference in feel for me. Putting a little bit of forward weight bias got rid of the vague, flighty feeling front end when at higher speed or hard acceleration. I noticed it on the FZ09 that I test rode as well. The wet noodle of a rear shock doesn't help this feeling either. When you say that you have tweaked every suspension setting, I am assuming that you have correct rate springs for your weight and have sag set correctly?
Good luck getting this sorted out.

Raising the forks could help, thanks. I'm 180 lb with stock springs and running 1.5" of sag at front. A bit much I know but absorbs New England holes and bumps and keeps traction in turns. Have tried more and less preload and rebound on both ends as well as tire pressures.

There are a few teardown reviews of this copy of the Scotts type dampener.

IT's a very simple design, and with some luck, you get one that works great. Or if not, you can send it back, and hope you get another that works, or you can pull the needles that meter the oil, and carefully polish them and contour them so they have a more effective rate adjustment. (Make them smooth first, remove all barbs, and then if that's not working, you can hook it into the chuck on your drill, and "machine" the needle against a belt sander or grinder in a vice.)

Just use fine sand paper, and polish the snot out of the needle when you are done, it's the key to smooth oil flow, and the right taper allows for the right flow rate for your needs.

I'm sure Matt or one of the other suspension guys could chime in here, and explain how to do it, or what needle to change if they are using a standard size.

You Tube this basic design. There are a few good video's of how to fix/upgrade/service these units. (Or the Scotts.)

Thanks @adjuster I wish I had a real Scott's to compare feeling. It definitely works to feel more planted over bumps, I just thought I wouldn't be able to feel it when turned all the way down, and thought it would dampen shakes after they've begun. Also I have no idea if the high speed valve works and don't want to run over rocks to find out. I'm very conscious of it now, will see in a couple weeks after I forget it's there.

Archived