Handlebar Questions

checkereddemon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dencos, how the heck did you get the the throttle cables to reach? I'm having to reroute behind the forks to reach. This seems unsafe but who knows.

Even like that they are at their limit.

PS - pictures would be awesome

also, does anyone know the proper length? I'm thinking of ordering longer and not sure where to start.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Sorry Doc, I don't always get emails when some posts to a thread i'm on.

Here's some pic's 
My throttle cable gets pulled tight when at full lock right, but it has not seemed to hurt anything.
I just ordered a 3" longer throttle cable from motion pro yesterday. ($80 + shipping)
My brake line was pretty tight so I loosened the bracket on the triple clamp (in picture) and separated the grommet glued to the line and pulled enough slack.

http://imgur.com/a/peVy0

IVuFWZ2.jpg

lUx91Cw.jpg

thanks Denco, just saw this. I went ahead and ordered new everything :)

Now I'm having an issue getting the clutch perch on. Was that a test for you as well? I'm wondering if the manufacturer could have different parts? Mine are cut diamond pattern on the portion of the bars where you put the grips. I have no idea why they would do that. Maybe because they are ATV bars?
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

thanks Denco, just saw this. I went ahead and ordered new everything :) 
Now I'm having an issue getting the clutch perch on. Was that a test for you as well? I'm wondering if the manufacturer could have different parts? Mine are cut diamond pattern on the portion of the bars where you put the grips. I have no idea why they would do that. Maybe because they are ATV bars?
Yes I had the same problem with the knurling, I used an air grinder with a scotch brite pad and knocked the knurls down. I didn't take much to make the lever fit over. But it still holds the grip without glue. If you blow under the handgrip with an air hose while pushing it on it slides on with a little elbow grease.

I was thinkg of grinding it down a bit but got nervous about my grip sliding off. Its a heated grip with a solid plastic core so the air trick doesnt work. Damn near busted my hands today trying to get it on :(
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Mine were the Yamaha heated grips, they were flexible enough for the air to work. In the old days I used gasoline  on the grip, it made it slimey enough to slide over the bar, then dried like glue. Of course that was on dirt bikes. I would think grip glue might do the same, tho i've never used it.

If you use a scuff pad on a small grinder it's not too aggressive on the knurls, but does take them down pretty quick.

• Premium Member
Mine were the Yamaha heated grips, they were flexible enough for the air to work. In the old days I used gasoline  on the grip, it made it slimey enough to slide over the bar, then dried like glue. Of course that was on dirt bikes. I would think grip glue might do the same, tho i've never used it. 
If you use a scuff pad on a small grinder it's not too aggressive on the knurls, but does take them down pretty quick.
Did anyone ever get a response from Vibranator? I think they would be a perfect buzz kill if they worked as advertised. 

Did anyone ever get a response from Vibranator? I think they would be a perfect buzz kill if they worked as advertised.

I ordered a set. Apparently the ones that fit the FJ1200 are good for the FJ09. I'm not entirely convinced that they will be effective, since the vibration characteristics are probably quite different between those bikes. My throttle wrist is completely knackered, so riding more than 30 minutes usually results in numbness, followed by discomfort, followed by pain. I'm willing to throw $120 at the bike to see if it'll help (along with cruise control). I will report back with an install thread and opinions. Fingers crossed...

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

I just finished changing my handlebars. In order to get them on and rolled back where I wanted them I had to switch clutch cable, throttle cables and brake lines. On the ProTaper Raptors I also had to grind the knurling on the clutch side to get the clutch perch and grip on.

This turned a 15 minutes switch to a week long ordeal. I know most of this is already in the thread but I wanted to sum up for anyone considering this. I love the way it came out, used the Sato stainless steel bar ends to hopefully crush some vibes, but it was a lot to take on at once and drove the cost way up.

OTOH, if you're gonna do it, might as well do it all at once while the bike is in pieces  B-|

Just wish I had my CC unit here while it was all disassembled. After this week, regardless of when it arrives, I'll be waiting a while to install.

QxgODs4.jpg

RQtiCcq.jpg
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• 2 months later...
Dencos: 
Just saw this thread. Do you need the longer clutch cable for sure with the Raptor bar?

I had the stock cable with the rox risers, but it worked, but was stretched pretty tight so I ordered a 3" longer cable.  Never had the stock cable on the Raptor bars, only stock bars with rox risers.

I have installed Renthal Streetfighter bars on my wife's FJ09 and bought a pair for my bike as well. Installation was pretty simple but, if you are going to install the stock hand guards you will need to have someone tap the new bars so you can screw the plug on the end of the stock bars into the Renthal bars. If you are not using the handguards, you will need to move the holes you will need to drill for the controls in about 1/2" per side to account for removal of the plug that threads into the end of the stock bars. Don't ask how I know.

All cables, etc., fit fine with the new bars.

After riding my wife's bike for about an hour straight today, I'd say the thumb pain issue is about 75-80% solved. Left was fine and just a slight bit of pain in the right. I think I will mount my controls a bit more inboard when I do my bike and see if that cures the issue. If so, I'll modify my wife's bike as well. I did not account for the loss of the plug at the end of the bars on her bike so her grips stick out over the end of the bars a bit. I will be installing bar end weights.

Archived