New variant on the MT/FJ-09 platform

checkereddemon

Yamaha has just announced that they will bring to market (not sure if this includes North America) another model of our popular bikes.  It's called the XSR900 and can be seen here:

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-most-eagerly-anticipated-bikes-of-2016/30741.html

I think it's a very nice looking bike, probably because I grew up riding bikes in the 70s and 80s that looked quite similar to this.  Back then they were called UJMs - Universal Japanese Motorcycles.  what do you think about this new model?

-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

XSR900 is coming to the US. XSR700 is not. My buddy is looking pretty seriously at this bike. He really likes mine all except for the tall seat. He doesn't like the FZ-09 because of no ABS or TC. XSR900 has ABS, adjustable TC and a slipper clutch and doesn't appear to be as tall as the FJ. Looks pretty sweet too if you ask me.

• Premium Member
I also grew up on UJMs, and with ABS, TC, and a slipper clutch the XSR900 is the perfect hooligan stablemate for my FJ-09.

It just needs lower bars and twin round headlights to make it more like the 2009 Speed Triple I let get away. ;)

• Premium Member
Ya, discussions continue. linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Definitely would like a slipper clutch.
Why?  
I have had them on previous bikes and never noticed their effect and don't notice their absence now. That said, I don't spend much time on a racetrack on a road bike.

I hit a corner last month in cold weather with cold tires, and made the mistake of downshifting 1 gear too far. The resulting wheel skip/slide at the back was exciting to say the least. A slipper clutch would have helped mitigate my mistake and kept my underwear fresher. :) 

• Premium Member
Why?  
I have had them on previous bikes and never noticed their effect and don't notice their absence now. That said, I don't spend much time on a racetrack on a road bike.

I hit a corner last month in cold weather with cold tires, and made the mistake of downshifting 1 gear too far. The resulting wheel skip/slide at the back was exciting to say the least. A slipper clutch would have helped mitigate my mistake and kept my underwear fresher. :)
On the track, a slipper clutch is nice, but on the street, I have never needed one. A slipper clutch will help if you screw up a downshift at the wrong time (talking about some of MY previous track issues). I left a nice skid mark (two places, one on the road and the other.....). 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hooligans3 wrote: "A slipper clutch would have helped mitigate my mistake and kept my underwear fresher."

True. But not having one taught you a valuable lesson about cold temps/tires/and downshifting. I have never had a bike with a slipper (I've owned more than 40 bikes), and if not having one helps keep the price down, that is one farkle I can do without...
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

<snip> True. But not having one taught you a valuable lesson about cold temps/tires/and downshifting. </snip>
Isn't that the same train of thought people have applied to ABS braking systems?  Not trying to dig at you but reminds me of just that - "oh but without ABS, you would have learned how to brake properly".  I'm not to argue with why it may be more use here or there (just like ABS) but sometimes it comes down to rider preference.  With as much that people spend on farkles that are most aesthetics, I don't think it would be an unreasonable spend for those who want it.  Choice is good. 

I hear what you're saying, LikeButta, but it bothers me a bit that I see motorcycles taking a path similar to what you see with cars nowadays - *everything* comes with "lane assist", blind spot montoring, parkng assist, yada, yada, yada. Instead of folks actually learning how to drive properly, we are seeing a plethora of electronic band aids being applied.

If I were King (of the foreeeeesssttt) I would make it mandatory for beginning drivers/rideers to forgo all electronic assistance and actually learn how to drive/ride. IMHO, these electronic doo-dads are adding complexity, cost, weight, etc. without furthering the knowledge and experience that only comes from time behind the wheel, or bars as the case may be.

Please don't get me wrong, I truly like the ABS and, sometimes, TCS on our bikes. Hell, having ABS would have saved me from several low sides that I had way back when. But, I *learned* from those low sides - I learned to be a *much* smoother and better rider.

I've  often ridden in mixed groups that have 25 - 35 year old bikes mixing it up with the latest and greatest. And I'm usually riding in the lead group and, on most days, leading that group. When we get back around the campfire, I'll hear stories of how much hardware was dragged thru the turns. And, frankly, I'm amazed because at NO time during these rides have I ever really felt it necessary to drag parts. Yet, somehow, I'm ahead of all of these guys.  And none of this riding has been astride my FJ, I was usually aboard my 25 year old Bandit or one of my 1983 Gold Wings.  Yep, Gold Wing!!

This can only come down to my having learned how to ride fast and *balanced* on what would be considered a POS nowadays. Modern bikes are capable of *insane* lean angles and have phenomenal brakes and chassis compared to what I grew up with. The only time you should be grinding gear is when you've flat run out of road and rubber. Up until that point, the bike is doing fine and you should have plenty of clearance front and back. Smoothness when riding is paramount and many folks have not, and may never, discovered that truth....
-CD-

Archived