• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Conver to HID?

Why?

Do you know what kind of lighting the FJ has? I don't.

I haven't heard of anyone converting to HID on the FJ. Some have added HID and LED auxilary.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

It is not a simple bulb replacement as with other bikes with H4 or H7 bulbs, you would have to change the whole reflector. That gets expensive and since the LED lights are already very good, I have to ask what problem you are trying to solve. P.S. Telling people not to comment or speculate without giving a very good reason is considered a little rude.

I converted my 2007 BMW GS1200 from halogen to HID. It sucked. HIDs are slow to come on- they need to warm up. So you can't flash the high beams. Cars with factory HIDs use mechanical means like shutters to "turn on" the high beams.

Also the HID bulb does not put out light in the same way as the original halogen bulbs. So the light pattern on the road was poor. Chances are that the same problem would occur with switching our LED bulbs to HID.

In any case the LEDs we have are superior to HID. If you need more light I recommend LED aux lights.

• Premium Member
I think the stock headlights on the FJ-09 are terrific, one of the best features of the bike.
Agreed! I rarely ride at night, so I've aimed the high beam down to the level of the low beam and run with both ON. Adds to my daytime conspicuity and I also like the symetric look of both lights on. If I ever get into a situation where the high beam might be needed again, it's a simple 30 second re-aiming.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
The LED lights are the best lights I've had on any bike I have owned. Have messed with HID. Wasn't worth the net gain. Depends on the reflector. Some are ok for the conversion, others, no. I have also added the high beam for daily riding. BRIGHT! Can always adjust it up if need be.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

Archived