New Member in UK

buddha1

Gents/Ladies,

I just wanted to say hi from the UK, picked up my Tracer a week or so ago after dropping into my local dealer to buy a coat and I came out with the Tracer, I didn't even take a test ride.
Handing over my FZ1 Fazer that I had owned for nearly 7 years was painfull but I had to considering the cost to change was do little. I will miss it.
My initial thoughts are positive but there is a couple of things I will need to get sorted, top of the list is a new set of tyres, the Oem fitted ones are appalling, the screen is quite frankly a joke but it does an awesome job of making all the wind blast hit me square in the face and I may fit some adjustable levers as it feels a bit of a stretch to the clutch bite point.
Overall what a fun bike, having done just under 1000 miles I'm jelling with it, as you can guess it's done nothing but rain since I picked up the bike. Looking forward to some dry weather so I can open it up a bit but falling in love with the engine, nothing like the power of the FZ1 but so much more torque lower in the rev range. 
For all of you in the UK , I'm in Sutton Coldfield, just outside Birmingham.

Can anyone recommend which screen to go for? I'm a short Arsenal at 5'8" tall so any advice will be gratefully received.

• Premium Member
Hi Buddha

Welcome to the forum don't live far from you Dudley. Johan same size as you on this forum swear's by the National VStream+ the tall one you can get one from Calsport in Birmingham for £189.05.

• Premium Member
Hello, I'm just down the M5 in Cheltenham. There will be a couple of meetings in May not too far from you. Check the European section.

There are so many views about the screen, there is a whole section devoted to it. The Powerbronze made things better but I have added a spoiler to make it very good. Powerbronze have modified their offering since I bought mine which suggests they know they could make it better.

Tyres: I thought the D222 are not too bad. I replaced the rear at 3300 miles with another Dunlop, the Roadsmart 2. At 9000 miles, I'm just about to change the front to match the rear.

Chris Mullins in Gloucester just quoted £110 Dunlop for the front and can get a pair of Avon Storm for £180, which seems a good price. Michelin Pr4 will be over £250 a pair (for a ride in ride out service)

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Alright Buddha, 
im even further down the M5 in zummerset........
I have the ermax 35 mm screen, and im not bothered by any real wind problems !! Set on the highest setting. And im 5' 11".
Ive just had a roadsmart ( original, not 2 ) put on the rear and im impressed by how well it feels and how warm it gets, even in February ( to be fair, my 222 was knackered, so anything would feel better after pushing my luck for the last 500 miles of its life ) im considering fitting one to the front and just ditching the oem front, as its feeling vague now with the new, better rear on. It can wait a month or so though.
my only gripe with the Tracer is the vibes through my right hand - id read thats its due to the chain being set to tight by yamaha, but having my tyre fitter set it to the commanly accepted setting rather than the manuals setting, im still getting the numb fingers so im just thinking I have bad circulation ? Enjoy the bike, and hope to see you at the ' do ' on may 2nd at H cafe ? !! 

• Premium Member
@pilgo If you are getting a numb hand, do you have the brake lever set correctly? Ideally you need to be able to extend your fingers over the brake lever so that there is a straight line running through your fingers, hand and on to your elbow. If you sit with a bend at your wrists then you may be putting pressure on nerves causing numbness. You can rotate the brake lever up or down a bit to get a less kinky wrist.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'll check that out at the weekend, cheers weesie
Spa motorcycles in Cheltenham - any good ?  Im delivering twice a week literally  just round the corner from them so I must pop in a have a look around, but so far every time ive been there  ive been chashing my tail to do the drop and get back down the road to somerset !! 

Hi pilgo,

I have been experiencing the vibs since i purchased the bike in feb 2015.  Yamaha dealers and Yamaha Uk responses are never hear of that problem, though I do know that they have and I know of several riders in the UK who have put this in writing...

anyhow, I put just under 12000 miles this year and I have heard all the old advice, loosen your grip, loosen the chain...bla...bla...

But in December i had to undergo a carpel release procedure on my left hand..  As part of this i had some sort of electric measurement of the severity of this perform by a consultant.  So the medical profession has now a measurement of this and I aim to get it retook in December 2016 to see if any desegregation .

So I am putting complaint in writing to Yamaha and chasing up if get worse, I don't see how a manufacturer can market  and sell these if they are causing a health and safety issue not only long term but also impairing the rider in safe riding.

I am researching at present to see if there is some sort of device that will measure the vibration and duration and keep a record to compare against the health and safety regulations of vibrating machinery.

If anyone here has any input on such device I would be interested.

Thanks for the advice on the screens and the tyres, loving the bike but it's easy to see where yam have cut corners to save cash and keep the purchase price down. It's a stunning bike for the price, this may get some reaction but I only paid £7399 for mine, not pre registered just a 2015 model and the dealer had taken delivery of his 2016 stock. I had it serviced by him and I was told he's nearly sold every one of his 2016 allocation of tracers, quite a few MT-09's and all of his XSR anniversary models, if they are selling this well then it must be a great bike.

I can't wait to rack up some more miles on it as it seems to be freeing up a bit.

Buddha

• Premium Member
I'll check that out at the weekend, cheers weesie Spa motorcycles in Cheltenham - any good ?  Im delivering twice a week literally  just round the corner from them so I must pop in a have a look around, but so far every time ive been there  ive been chashing my tail to do the drop and get back down the road to somerset !! 
Yes, I like Spa - was part of Skellerns in Worcester but the local guys bought the franchise so it's a worker's co-operative now. It's only a mile from my house so very convenient. My Tracer came from there.  
Seem very thorough with the service work. Demo/free loan bikes freely available - I've had some for a few days in a row including a standard MT09 and a MT07 when they have had a breakdown interrupt my service - they know I have a garage for their bike and won't mind using a different bike for a few days so I get the "can we keep it until Tuesday" call. The Tmax was a bit weird!

Closed on Mondays like French dealers to give workers a 2 day break. I like that, a compromise between customer service by opening a full day Saturday but give the workers a proper 2 day break including Sunday. 

There's also a branch of Helmet City over the road with a 99p cafe next door. HC are very helpful and happy to get stock in different sizes for you to try as they can pull it in from other branches or the central warehouse. 

If you go into Gloucester there's another decent Yamaha dealer on Bristol Road, Fraser's. They are a mile and a half from my office so I'm spoilt for choice. Also 2 good tyre dealers on this road, Chris Mullins & Protyre. If you want to see how the other half live, pop into the BMW dealer on Cole Avenue - worth it just for the free coffee & biscuits which the laughable bike prices allow them to provide. 

• Premium Member
I'll check that out at the weekend, cheers weesie Spa motorcycles in Cheltenham - any good ?  Im delivering twice a week literally  just round the corner from them so I must pop in a have a look around, but so far every time ive been there  ive been chashing my tail to do the drop and get back down the road to somerset !! 
Yes, I like Spa - was part of Skellerns in Worcester but the local guys bought the franchise so it's a worker's co-operative now. It's only a mile from my house so very convenient. My Tracer came from there.  
Seem very thorough with the service work. Demo/free loan bikes freely available - I've had some for a few days in a row including a standard MT09 and a MT07 when they have had a breakdown interrupt my service - they know I have a garage for their bike and won't mind using a different bike for a few days so I get the "can we keep it until Tuesday" call. The Tmax was a bit weird!

Closed on Mondays like French dealers to give workers a 2 day break. I like that, a compromise between customer service by opening a full day Saturday but give the workers a proper 2 day break including Sunday. 

There's also a branch of Helmet City over the road with a 99p cafe next door. HC are very helpful and happy to get stock in different sizes for you to try as they can pull it in from other branches or the central warehouse. 

If you go into Gloucester there's another decent Yamaha dealer on Bristol Road, Fraser's. They are a mile and a half from my office so I'm spoilt for choice. Also 2 good tyre dealers on this road, Chris Mullins & Protyre. If you want to see how the other half live, pop into the BMW dealer on Cole Avenue - worth it just for the free coffee & biscuits which the laughable bike prices allow them to provide. 

One must invest in a country property in the Cotswold it seems. Such an idyllic description of country life.

Wessie, I popped into Spa Motorcycles today, nice set up they have there, all very helpful and keen to chat. Walked out £74 lighter after buying a new pair of gloves ( which ive been thinking of getting anyway ) 
got a pair of Halvarssons NEW MAN, all singing waterproof/ windproof/breathable apparently,  only riding in them will tell if they are good, but ive heard good things about the make. The swedes have ' slightly' cooler winters than us, so they should know how to make quality weather proof kit for us bikers !! 

Archived