ZX10R shock swap

papac2000

I know this isn't the route most will take, but due to budget restraints, I thought I would try this since it is in perfect condition and was only $100.00. I swapped the spring from my OE shock (pictured is the Kawi spring as delivered). Will be a bit before I can ride it as we expect below freezing temps for at least a week here. Will report with riding impressions and more pictures of it on the bike. It is mounted now along with my new PR4 tire, but bodywork is still off so I'll take more pics. The holes in the lower mount need to be sized up to 12mm, and small amount of plastic tray near the piggyback reservoir need trimming back but it fits nicely overall. Just glad to have adjustable compression now. If this helps out even one other rider with a tight budget, that's cool.20160401_113857_zpsug5wsqx7.jpg
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

there's a voluminous thread over on the fz09 board about these efforts. It does work, but to get the most out of it needs to be rebuilt and sprung for your weight. if you're ~160lb the OE spring will do. much outside that range and you'll need a beefier spring and the valving to suit.

The alternative to drilling out the clevis is to run a 10mm bolt and use bushings to upsize it on the swingarm mounting points. Standard Suzuki parts as I recall. If there's interest I'll go see if I can't track down the details.

That is where I found the info to do it. I happen to be 160lbs, so the spring is actually in the range. I know there are better solutions, this is a short term fix for me for this season as I hope to save up and do both front and rear over next winter.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

In the first photo you see the reservoir, and behind it is where a slight trim was required of the plastic tray.
In the third photo you see the space between the spring and linkage. This is with the bike upright with its own weight off the stand, no rider. As this shock is 8mm longer than OE, it makes light contact at full droop (if you lift the back of the bike up).
The last photo is looking under the tank to show the reservoir does not interfere with anything.

This shock has preload, a single compression adjuster, and rebound adjustment. I am able to access the adjuster screws on the bike, but as the pread collars are at the top now, nit the bottom....I am hoping the sag I have set by premeasuring the installed height of my spring on the old shock will do. I did back down from that measurement slightly since the shock is longer, hoping to offset a slight increase in ride height.

2015 Matte Grey

Eibach springs have been mentioned by Pattonme as cost effective; I ran across Eibach coil overs for what seems like a good price at Summit Racing. About $60 for springs with 2.25" ID - lengths between six and nine inches, spring rates from 250 lbs/in to 900 lbs/in. Pretty much whatever you'd need to adapt a ZX6/10 or Hayabusa to the right spring rate --except a rebuild if it's needed.

I wonder if that spring off the ZX10 shock would be higher rate than the FJ09 one? It's a larger/heavy bike, so I imagine it would be.

Last time I did this, I put a R1 shock upside down in my FZ1, and it worked perfectly. The spring on the FZ1 was already pretty stiff, I had the 2006, so with the adjustable ability of the better shock, I was able to get the FZ1 much more fun to ride, and it only cost me 50.00 at the time.

I have another shock right now, it's 1/2" shorter eye to eye than the 13" stock one, with at 10mm lower hoop, that if I drill it out, will move the hole to get the most distance from eye to eye as possible, but I still would have to make up new links to get the ride height back, or even slightly raise the tail a touch. (Not going to ruin the handling, but it does make the bike turn faster, and if you go too far, can make it seem twitchy, or in need of a steering damper.)

On the FZ1, I made new links with a revised set of holes/locations to make the shock fit, and work correctly. I also think it increased the spring rate too, as the bike was nearly perfect for me, and I'm a big dude. (Forks were still on the soft side, but I cranked the preload full on, and it was better than nothing.)

Nice thread on the shock upgrade, let us know what you think when you ride it.

My research suggested the ZX10R spring is lower rate (465 lb/in?) It is vertical in that bike...not sure if that makes a difference. That's the reason I swapped my FJ spring onto it. I'll be riding the bike later this coming week and into next weekend. Will report back for sure. FWIW the 07-08 ZX10 shock gives both low speed and hi speed compression damping, where my 05-06 model has just one compression damping adjuster.
2015 Matte Grey

Bookmarked, interested to see how it does as you can't really beat $100.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

After a couple shorter rides, I have some initial impressions. I took a guess at the damping setting from reading on other forums, but immediately found the compression too harsh as in the stock shock. I backed out the screw a half turn, and then another half turn and will ride it that way over the next 2 days. The ride is considerably more plush now, to the point where I could see myself adding some back in when the roads smooth out during the season. I actually added some rebound, but the OE spring is a higher rate so I suppose that's not surprising. I'm happy with the swap so far. For it to be perfect for me, it would have been nice to get the 07-08 ZX10 shock with hi&low speed comp...but it's still a big improvement.
2015 Matte Grey

Oh. Almost forgot. ..it is just a touch higher in the back as well. Nothing drastic, maybe 10-15mm if I had to guess? Doesn't bother me, just a note for those vertically challenged.
2015 Matte Grey

• 1 month later...
Liking this shock now after about 1000km of riding. For my liking, the compression damping is nearly all the way soft, I think 1.5 turns from being all the way. Rebound is near the middle, and I am running less preload (meaning the spring installed height is longer) than on the stock shock. Glad I made the swap...not sure if it's perfect ad I wouldn't know if it was, but it's better for my riding!
2015 Matte Grey

Archived