fgk 237 cartridge spring selection!!!!

kemmotar

hello,
I have ordered the following combo.
ohlins fgk237 cartridge and nitron ntr3 (without hpa).

i saw there are different spring rates available and parts number.
the kit suggests the 08423-90 part number for rider 80-85kg. the oil level is basic 01309 and 160mm of oil. In notes for the fgk2XX series.

But when I received the package the springs were the 08422-90 yamaha tracer. This is paired with 01330 and 145mm oil level!
I asked for the correct springs and they told by air with an extra charge of 30-40 euro or 45 days delivery from ohlins to retailer!!! otherwise, there is an option of 08423-95 (a bit stiffer) that i can get in the following 10 days.

what do you recommend?

If i figured right, the 08422-90 is a swap for oem yamaha cartridge????

ps: for both springs the Length and rate N/mm are the same! (300 mm and Rate N/mm: 9,0 N/mm)

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

nitron ntr3 865,00 euro installed from official nitron dealer
fgk237 1280 euro (springs included) + oil (dont know how much it goes with discount). yamaha dealer (through the official ohlins importer and retailer in greece)

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

there is no useful difference between the oils (19 vs 20cSt@40). I would split the difference and go 150mm of oil height. But you can always change oil height and see how it works for you.

The 422 is a tapered spring (per my source) and even if you flip it end for end the spring guide might not fit all the way down. If the setup uses a spring preload spacer, it would normally be installed under the spring but you can probably put it on top of the spring instead and negate the spring guide issue.

Those are the expedient fixes. But from the sounds of it the outfit that ordered you the kit screwed up or Ohlins didn't fulfill the order properly and they should remedy at their cost.

FWIW the MT/FZ/FJ09 application is the only one for the NIX-30 that doesn't use the "standard" 4744 series spring.

why is that matt? i mean the different spring series

best to ask Ohlins. I think they were targeting using the same length as the OE spring but not sure what point that serves. If you're buying a NIX-30 it's not likely that the rider has already bought a spring kit and thus wants to recycle them.

• 2 months later...
Old thread, but here goes...
8422 springs are OE spring replacements for the stock cartridge. As Matt said, tapered spring.
8423 springs are intended for the FGK 237 Ohlins 30mm cartridge.
You can use the common 4744-xx series springs in a FGK 237 by using a 40mm longer preload tube (138mm) instead of the OE tube. However, this spring can't be used at very high preload as the spring could coil-bind at full tube compression with high preload.
Keep Asheville weird!

• 1 month later...
forgot to post.... no big deal, after a few days the delivered me the correct 08423-xx springs. i got 0.90 but for the best i should have picked the 0.95. anyway i run with preload atm at +7 or +8, depending the scenario. sag is set to 38-40mm at the most, depending scenario also.
my riding gear is at 90 kgr, that means  198 lbs

Archived