• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FJ's new home

builderbob

• Premium Member
Looks real nice! What are the dimensions, and is it a pre-fab?
Thanks.  22' x 34'.  No, the only parts that were pre-fabbed were the trusses.  The rest was stick by stick.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking awesome! :)

LED lights are the way to go for sure.

Really makes me want to build a new shop, and entire house actually. (Smaller, more secure, and super energy saving now that I'm an empty nester, and really don't need a big place anymore, but still want a HUGE garage and shop area. (Shop area would be bigger than the house if I had my way... LOL)

I want to put in a oil change pit too, but most building codes don't allow it without some serious oil proof drainage nonsense.

Heck, when I was a kid, I helped build a new farm shop for a friend. He started by digging a pit in the middle of where he wanted the shop, and I thought he was crazy at first.

Then they delivered a broken septic tank. (Concrete type, so it was junk, but he bought it cheap, and they did not have to dump it, so saved money I guess.)

HE sets the septic tank down in the hole, I and realized he had a simple drain field ditch dug out too. A concrete truck shows up loaded with gravel, and we filled the septic tank with gravel, and then the rest down the drain field, put in perforated pipe, covered that with gravel, and by now were on truck #3 of gravel.

So, instead of hooking it up to a bathroom he plumbs up a drain that dumps into the tank, via a section of corrugated metal drain pipe stuck where the cover on the first part of the septic tank would be.

And it's just sticking up as we then pushed dirt back over all it, and compacted the dirt.

So in the end, there is still a pit, but not as deep, with a few feet of drain pipe sticking up into the air...

Next day, we formed up a small floor around the drain pipe, and poured a 4" thick floor, about 14' long, and 4' wide. Then started to lay block around the edges with a set of block steps on both ends one block at a time till it was nearly 5' deep, backfilling for the steps, and compacting as we went up. (I think I'd have painted the outside with tar to keep water out, but hey, it's a oil change pit, and I'm OCD.)

SO, day three, we compacted, leveled and formed up the whole shop, shot it with a transit to be sure it was level, and formed up around the INSIDE of the oil pit, and steps down on both ends to where it was 4" higher than the block tops and steps, but with 2x4"'s along the top to form a inset rail when the concrete was poured down into the hollow blocks. Day 4, we poured the whole shop, I think it was 60 wide by 100 deep, big farm shop, for large vehicles, so the floor was fully welded metal screen, and some rebar where he had the support beams attach to the foundation, and the edges were 36" deep, and about 8" wide. Took till about noon, and nearly killed us, and a bunch of friends, but many trucks later, it was done.

The pit was really nice. He was going to use old lumber cut to size across the pit opening that you could remove when you wanted to go down there, but ended up getting a good deal on fiberglass floor that allows for dirt and water to pass through, and is stronger than wood, and has a texture pattern so you don't slip on it.

Need to change your oil, or check under your vehicle? Just drive up over the pit, pull up the plates behind or in front of your vehicle, and walk down and then move the others aside to get to the vehicle. Easy peasy, and you can pressure wash dirt, gunk off farm machines, and down into the huge 10" drain in the floor. :)

We never dumped oil in there BTW, after all, he loves his farm. And oil makes great fuel for the furnace in the shop. :)

Still am loving your new space however. :)

• Premium Member
Insulation installed yesterday, drywall hung & joints finished today.  Texture tomorrow.  This project is starting to move along!

Test fitted the F-250 in there today.  Lots of room to spare!

Truck.JPG

• Premium Member

Insulation installed yesterday, drywall hung & joints finished today.  Texture tomorrow.  This project is starting to move along! 
Test fitted the F-250 in there today.  Lots of room to spare!

Truck.JPG

I have that same truck in that same color.... :D 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Super nice builderbob! Built one for myself last year, but two bikes, a project 65 convertible mustang, a man cave w/pinball machine, beer fridge, tv, stereo and my wife's car means my truck is banished into the snow. Of course I told my wife her Subaru is taking up too much room, but somehow that went nowhere.

• Premium Member
IMAG1469_zpsortjfzgq.jpg
Nice truck!  Mine's a 2003 4x4.  Had it since new.  It was going to be my 10-year truck, but now I'm shooting for 20.
Did you get the early 03 with the 7.3 or the late 03 with the 6.0? 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Nice truck!  Mine's a 2003 4x4.  Had it since new.  It was going to be my 10-year truck, but now I'm shooting for 20.
6.0.  Knock on wood, no problems so far.  I think a lot of the problems people have had with the 6.0 engines are due to modifications and improper maintenance.  Mine is bone-stock and has been well maintained. 
How about yours?

• Premium Member
You insulated and drywalled that really fast! Did you do it all or have someone help/do it all?
No, I didn't do either.  Didn't want the itch from the insulation.  Drywall is easy to install, but hard (for me) to finish.  I let the pros do that.  Well worth it.

You insulated and drywalled that really fast! Did you do it all or have someone help/do it all?
No, I didn't do either.  Didn't want the itch from the insulation.  Drywall is easy to install, but hard (for me) to finish.  I let the pros do that.  Well worth it.
That's what I hear everyone say after they've tried drywalling once, that they'd never do it again and let the pros do it. 

• Premium Member
6.0.  Knock on wood, no problems so far.  I think a lot of the problems people have had with the 6.0 engines are due to modifications and improper maintenance.  Mine is bone-stock and has been well maintained. 
How about yours?
Mine's a 7.3. I agree with the 6.0 assessment. It's fine as long as you don't chip it up and are militant about maintenance.   

• Premium Member
more importantantly - whats that trailer? looks perfect. Can you fit two bikes on it?
Hey Doc. It's a Kendon single trailer and it only takes one.
They are made to stand up in your garage. I believe they are one of the best "motorcycle" trailers around......
 The good news is they make others.....
They're pretty expensive new but pretty cheap used... Craigslist or Cycle trader is your friend.

I paid $800 for mine and friend got a double for $900 just a couple days ago.  
https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/
https://www.kendonusa.com/stand-up-folding-trailer/

Archived