FJ's new home

builderbob

• Premium Member
Decided to build a garage/workshop a couple months ago.  I had others do the foundation, but the framing has been largely done by me, by myself.

I made an exception over the weekend and had a few guys over to help set the trusses.  We muscled them all up without the use of a crane, which was a bit of a challenge because the walls are 10' high.  Roof sheathing next weekend.

The FJ and the KTM will enjoy their new home when it's finished.

Trusses.JPG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Nice! Some guys on this forum would be tempted to fill that space up with bikes. The FJ and the KTM would be inviting over all their friends to stay. ;) 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member

Nice! Some guys on this forum would be tempted to fill that space up with bikes. The FJ and the KTM would be inviting over all their friends to stay. ;)
I've had that happen in the past.  I've owned as many as 4 bikes at the same time.  Not as much time for them as I used to have, so 2 will do for the time being. 
The wife has suggested that with 10' ceilings, the new garage would do well to have a 2-post car lift.   :o    I s**t you not.  She came up with that idea on her own.  Of course, not wanting to disappoint her, I've worked it into the budget.   :D

All that said, I've been around long enough to know that there will be a heavy price for her approval.

I've had that happen in the past.  I've owned as many as 4 bikes at the same time.  Not as much time for them as I used to have, so 2 will do for the time being. 
The wife has suggested that with 10' ceilings, the new garage would do well to have a 2-post car lift.   :o    I s**t you not.  She came up with that idea on her own.  Of course, not wanting to disappoint her, I've worked it into the budget.   :D

All that said, I've been around long enough to know that there will be a heavy price for her approval.
That's awesome! A 2 post lift is definitely on my list of things to get someday. 
I just need a house first.  I'm hoping this summer.

And then a garage that's tall enough!

Are you planning on locating the car lift in the back of the garage? If not, you'll need to make accommodations for the garage door and garage door opener; i.e. make the garage door come up on an angle & against the ceiling and use a spring-mounted door opener.  Remember the standard garage door folds back parallel to the floor basically at the same height as the top of the door opening, so you won't have 10' clearance floor-to-ceiling under the opened garage door.  Hopefully you've already accounted for this and it's no worries... 

Nice, very nice.
I miss the shop I built in Pocatello, ID.
It was 28x34 with 12 foot clearance, and then 12 foot between eaves. (Sort of like a pole building.)

But I like how your trusses leave you attic space in there, that's a nice option that I wish I'd done half my shop that way.

Never did get my two post lift, but I had space and clearance for it. The main door was 14x12, and one 10x8, both insulated and like you, on a slab with foundation cut into the edges.

Ran in two phase power, Cat5, cable and then wired it up so the perimeter plugs were all on separate breakers. (You just break the connecter between the upper and lower plugs, and have to run romex with two hot leads, a neutral and ground, 4/12 I think it was.

That way if you plug two high loads into the same plug, you don't pop the breaker, since they are wired up to separate breakers on each plug. Make sure you mark it clearly, or someone will think they turned off the breaker for the plugs, and whoops, the other one will still be hot. I also wired for 220 plugs for welding and a heat pump/AC unit that never got installed either.

Dang, really makes me sad to think about it. The shop started out as about a 8k deal, and in the end, I spent 17k on it. :) And that was still not complete.

But I did put amazing lights into it. Never can say I regretted good lights, in fact, I moved them to my new garage here. ;)
Oh, and I pre-plumbed for a bathroom, but never did that either.

• Premium Member
Are you planning on locating the car lift in the back of the garage? If not, you'll need to make accommodations for the garage door and garage door opener; i.e. make the garage door come up on an angle & against the ceiling and use a spring-mounted door opener.  Remember the standard garage door folds back parallel to the floor basically at the same height as the top of the door opening, so you won't have 10' clearance floor-to-ceiling under the opened garage door.  Hopefully you've already accounted for this and it's no worries...
I'm looking at roll-up doors for that very reason.  They don't occupy the same space when open as a standard garage door.

• Premium Member
Nice, very nice. I miss the shop I built in Pocatello, ID.
It was 28x34 with 12 foot clearance, and then 12 foot between eaves. (Sort of like a pole building.)

But I like how your trusses leave you attic space in there, that's a nice option that I wish I'd done half my shop that way.

Never did get my two post lift, but I had space and clearance for it. The main door was 14x12, and one 10x8, both insulated and like you, on a slab with foundation cut into the edges.

Ran in two phase power, Cat5, cable and then wired it up so the perimeter plugs were all on separate breakers. (You just break the connecter between the upper and lower plugs, and have to run romex with two hot leads, a neutral and ground, 4/12 I think it was.

That way if you plug two high loads into the same plug, you don't pop the breaker, since they are wired up to separate breakers on each plug. Make sure you mark it clearly, or someone will think they turned off the breaker for the plugs, and whoops, the other one will still be hot. I also wired for 220 plugs for welding and a heat pump/AC unit that never got installed either.

Dang, really makes me sad to think about it. The shop started out as about a 8k deal, and in the end, I spent 17k on it. :) And that was still not complete.

But I did put amazing lights into it. Never can say I regretted good lights, in fact, I moved them to my new garage here. ;)
Oh, and I pre-plumbed for a bathroom, but never did that either.
I'm limited to a 50 amp service for this project by local code.  That will put a few restrictions on what I'm able to do out there.  I'll have one 220 outlet for sure, but no provision for permanently installed HVAC or a water heater.  In fact, no plumbing at all except for the schedule 80 that I'll run through the walls & attic for compressed air. 
As for lighting, I saw some really nice LED shop fixtures for a good price at Costco last time I was there.  There will be lots of light!

• Premium Member
Looks great! I built a 12x16 shop in my back yard two years ago. It's for bicycles, reloading, and other hobbies, not motos. I used LED lighting and love it because I don't have flickering in cold weather like you get with fluorescent. Of course Costco started selling their LED lighting right after I bought all mine at Home Despot for 2x the price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Some progress since last update. Going a little slower than I'd like, but considering I'm doing a lot of the work myself, I won't beat myself up too bad.

Temporary bracing removed, roof shingles on and house wrap installed. Passed all of my inspections so far and the inspector said to cover it up!

Wrap.JPG

This past weekend I decked the 10' x 30' attic storage area.

Attic.JPG

Insulation is going in tomorrow and drywall later this week, so I cleaned up the construction mess and test fitted the wife's car in there.

Test2.JPG

Plenty of room for my car, bikes, tools and a big work bench.

More to come.

• Premium Member
Some progress since last update. Going a little slower than I'd like, but considering I'm doing a lot of the work myself, I won't beat myself up too bad. 
Temporary bracing removed, roof shingles on and house wrap installed. Passed all of my inspections so far and the inspector said to cover it up!

Wrap.JPG

This past weekend I decked the 10' x 30' attic storage area.

Attic.JPG

Insulation is going in tomorrow and drywall later this week, so I cleaned up the construction mess and test fitted the wife's car in there.

Test2.JPG

Plenty of room for my car, bikes, tools and a big work bench.

More to come.
Looks real nice! What are the dimensions, and is it a pre-fab? 

Bad move, bob, in trying the fit for wifey's car. It fits easily, so she may now be eyeing a larger model!
[em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
Bad move, bob, in trying the fit for wifey's car. It fits easily, so she may now be eyeing a larger model! [em]W[/em]
Well, I guess she will deserve it.  She's pretty much been abandoned while I build this thing.

Archived