The FJ and I may have to break up. Difficult shifting. Help

I think I have UJM syndrome. The FJ-09 seemed like it was going to be a decent bike but at 7k miles I'm losing interest. Mostly the problem is the transmission. My up shifting is sticky, catchy, notchy, and just difficult. I adjusted the gear lever height as per recommendation. Thought it helped but not much. My clutch is adjusted properly. My chain has proper slack. I am using Valvoline full synthetic. Upshifting is so notchy all the time I am not enjoying riding. Shift under any acceleration and I have to think way too hard about how the gears will engage.
I mean by UJM is that the Yamaha has a great engine but every other feature, suspension, comfort, noise, fueling that makes motorcycling a pleasure is mediocre. Yes of course there are worse and better bikes. But I am not inclined to drop $3k in suspension, ECU flashing and other bits to make it a better bike. At least not until I sort out this shifting disaster.
Going to the dealer. Wish me luck with that. Any advice, knowledge or experience?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest reeseyboy
I'd get rid of the fully synthetic oil and replace it with a decent semi. Guys with the MT/FZ09 report clutch and shifting issues using fully synthetic oil. An oil change will, more than likely, cure this.

I'd sell it.
You're being facetious?. But yeah that is an option. Although how do I explain the shifting? Trade in more likely. I'm going to try different oils, but will that really make THE big difference? 

Oil was my initial thought.  With both my bikes, I can always tell when it's time to change the oil by how well it shifts.  I'm always amazed how much of a difference an oil change makes to shifting.  I can only imagine different types or brands of oil will affect the shifting as well.  I can't be for sure that it will fix it, but it's a cheap thing to try if you can change it yourself.  First thing I'd try is the yamalube the bike shipped with.

You're being facetious?. But yeah that is an option. Although how do I explain the shifting? Trade in more likely. I'm going to try different oils, but will that really make THE big difference? 

Oil was my initial thought.  With both my bikes, I can always tell when it's time to change the oil by how well it shifts.  I'm always amazed how much of a difference an oil change makes to shifting.  I can only imagine different types or brands of oil will affect the shifting as well.  I can't be for sure that it will fix it, but it's a cheap thing to try if you can change it yourself.  First thing I'd try is the yamalube the bike shipped with.

Like Root said, yes. Not trying to start an oil discussion or anything, but it CAN make a difference. Valvoline is not a "recommended for wet clutch"; type motorcycle oil. Use a semi or full syn motorcycle oil. Dump your current oil right after the bike has been ridden to drain as much as possible.

Beyond that, yes the dealer may have made an error when performing the recall. Yes you may have worn components in your clutch. Yes this bike is a bit notchy when shifting at times.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet if you still like this bike. But that's me. Good luck.

Skip

• Premium Member
Was your bike one that had the transmission shaft recall?
Yes.  Is there something the dealer could have done wrong or better when they did the recall? 

I have read of instances where owners said their bikes did not shift as well after the recall was done.  One owner said the replacement shaft was not installed correctly. 
I would change the oil first using Castrol GTX 10W-40.  If this does not help you might take it to a Yamaha dealer and ask them to take a look at the replacement shaft installation.

Valvoline Full Synthetic Motorcycle 10W40 Motor Oil with Superior Wet Clutch Protection. Well it must be! I just replaced the old Valvoline oil with 2000 miles on it with fresh because I have 6 quarts of it. I'll do a test to see if this Valvoline works OK initially but degrades quickly. If no improvement I'll drain it and try Mobil 1? or Amsoil? or Castrol Semi synthetic? I have talked to the dealer and the service department seemed helpful, engaged so to speak.
Has anyone been through multiple brands of oil to find the one brand that their particular FJ-09 seems to shift better with?

I stick to yamalube 10w40. My dealer has a gallon jug of it that makes the cost comparable to other options.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Valvoline Full Synthetic Motorcycle 10W40 Motor Oil with Superior Wet Clutch Protection. Well it must be! I just replaced the old Valvoline oil with 2000 miles on it with fresh because I have 6 quarts of it. I'll do a test to see if this Valvoline works OK initially but degrades quickly. If no improvement I'll drain it and try Mobil 1? or Amsoil? or Castrol Semi synthetic? I have talked to the dealer and the service department seemed helpful, engaged so to speak. Has anyone been through multiple brands of oil to find the one brand that their particular FJ-09 seems to shift better with?
Spectro worked great in my vintage Honda. I've only had Yamalube in the FJ because it's worked fine for me and I have seen a need to change. Are there better oils out there for less money? Maybe. Probably. I've just stuck with what works for me and haven't seen a need to change.

Go with the cheapest easiest fix first; oil change as mentioned. I don't own the FJ but ride a Gen II FZ1 and have run at times Honda GN4 10/40 motorcycle oil in mine, works great. I can tell when the oil starts to shear down and around 3500 miles it starts to shift clunky. Yamalube works well also, duh! (the Honda shop is closer to me). I've run the Shell Rotella oils with nice results. I've also had good luck with Chevron Delo. My bike is approaching 40,000 miles. I acknowledge it's not an FJ 09 but give the oils other folks have recommended a try before you give up on your FJ. 
If you have been using energy conserving automobile oils exclusively it may have saturated your clutch plates. They can become sticky and cause the bike to shift poorly.
Good luck and don't give up just yet!

Archived