The FJ and I may have to break up. Difficult shifting. Help

I have had bikes that would work with chip fat if you took the burnt bits out first. Apart from price, the primary difference between full synth, semi-synth and dino juice is how much wear and tear they can take before they break down. If you want to ride around the world without a service, then full synth is the tool. If you just want piece of mind and you stick to scheduled service intervals (and don't race too often), then any branded semi-synth will be more then good enough. If the budget is tight, regular changes with cheap dino-juice will do the bike more good the skipping changes with top quality oil.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, I changed the oil and think I may continue my affair with the FJ a while longer. She is shifting acceptably better. So, 2k is all the full synthetic Valvoline lasted, although it was at least 7 months old. I will look for a 20w-50 weight for the Tucson summer. I think a semi syn should be fine as I am thinking about changing the oil every 2k and the filter every 4k. Thanks everyone who replied with positive encouragement and the nod toward fresh oil.

I put a hair over 10k miles on mine before I totaled it and these motors definitely like their oil changed...once mine started to get notchy I changed it and it made a world of difference.
FWIW I ran Amsoil 10w40 in mine and the last oil change I did was after about 5500 miles

I put a hair over 10k miles on mine before I totaled it...

Damn man, that sucks.. how did you manage that? Get a new one?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

It was no ones fault but my own, I didn't end up getting another as I couldn't justify the money as great of a machine as it is. This time I set my limit to 5k cash as I've got some other projects taking precedence this summer.
Got a screaming deal on a v Strom 650, no doubt I miss the FJ. Someday I'm sure I'll own something with that amazing triple again

Guest bruinfj09guy
It was no ones fault but my own, I didn't end up getting another as I couldn't justify the money as great of a machine as it is. This time I set my limit to 5k cash as I've got some other projects taking precedence this summer. Got a screaming deal on a v Strom 650, no doubt I miss the FJ. Someday I'm sure I'll own something with that amazing triple again
There's always another bike. 
Enjoy the wee-strom.

Maybe there will be some cool adaptation of the MT-10 by the time you are ready for another new bike. :D

• Premium Member
It was no ones fault but my own, I didn't end up getting another as I couldn't justify the money as great of a machine as it is. This time I set my limit to 5k cash as I've got some other projects taking precedence this summer. Got a screaming deal on a v Strom 650, no doubt I miss the FJ. Someday I'm sure I'll own something with that amazing triple again
There's always another bike. 
Enjoy the wee-strom.

Maybe there will be some cool adaptation of the MT-10 by the time you are ready for another new bike. :D
Or the rumored dirt-worthy FZ/FJ-09 variant, if that's your thing.  (Maybe that rumor confused things with the -07-based mini-Tenere?  I am behind on my rumors this year,not exactly sure what things might have come to fruition while I was off doing work all winter.)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
We have 6000 mile service intervals in the UK and my gearbox is a little clunky now. I'm due a service in 1000 miles so I'll see if that makes a difference. It used to on my other bikes where the transmission shared the same oil as the engine. Honda Dominator was the worst so that got oil changes at 2000 miles.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

We have 6000 mile service intervals in the UK and my gearbox is a little clunky now. I'm due a service in 1000 miles so I'll see if that makes a difference. It used to on my other bikes where the transmission shared the same oil as the engine. Honda Dominator was the worst so that got oil changes at 2000 miles.
Given how my bike shifts when I push it much past 3k miles on an oil change, I'm not sure I could stand to push it to 6k. I'm due for a change now. Just waiting on the shop to fit me in next week.

it's a yamaha. i've never ridden a yamaha that DIDN'T have a notchy/clunky tranny.

ps - there is absolutely nothing wrong with synthetic oil in your bike, as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers in it (car oil, "energy conserving" kinda stuff).

I also use yamalube 10w40 never had a problem. However different boots can cause different angle on the shifter and make a difference.

Yes! boots make a big difference. When I change to my summer boots I'll probably need to adjust the shift arm height.

Guest dmizer
I can't believe that in 3 pages of suggestions for this problem, the most common issue for a clunky shift hasn't been mentioned. Make sure your clutch lever is adjusted correctly. Especially with a new bike, the clutch cable is going to stretch quite a bit and need regular adjustment for a while.

Archived