Someone please talk me into the FJ

I currently have both, a 2009 Versys and a 2015 Fj-09.  The Versys is a great bike, I just got tired of tbe vibrations from the motor, buzzing of the plastics, and the fact that my hands were starting to go numb after about an hour.  The seat was fine and, barring the hand thing, I could ride it for hours.  I had it setup for "touring" with large hard Givi bags, hand guards, and heated clothing/grips.  The new Versys is reported to be much less buzzy ( and it looks much nicer ), you can check out the extensive forums that cover that bike.

I chose to go with the FJ because I wanted something a bit more.....exciting.  I am of an age where I need some more of that and the Versys was just boring.  It sounded and felt like a sewing machine.  I rode the FJ ( and the Versys 1k ) and immediately was struck with how the additional power made the bike easier to ride.  That and that awesome triple sound. 

Yeah, it can be buzzy, but no where near the Versys.  I took the Versys for a short ride this past weekend immediately after having the FJ out and my purchase was instantly validated.

FWIW, size wise, they are about the same size ( see below ).  The Versys sits higher than the FJ but the FJ's tank makes it look bigger. 
IMG_2430.jpgIMG_2429.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bruinfj09guy
I currently have both, a 2009 Versys and a 2015 Fj-09.  The Versys is a great bike, I just got tired of tbe vibrations from the motor, buzzing of the plastics, and the fact that my hands were starting to go numb after about an hour.  The seat was fine and, barring the hand thing, I could ride it for hours.  I had it setup for "touring" with large hard Givi bags, hand guards, and heated clothing/grips.  The new Versys is reported to be much less buzzy ( and it looks much nicer ), you can check out the extensive forums that cover that bike. 
I chose to go with the FJ because I wanted something a bit more.....exciting.  I am of an age where I need some more of that and the Versys was just boring.  It sounded and felt like a sewing machine.  I rode the FJ ( and the Versys 1k ) and immediately was struck with how the additional power made the bike easier to ride.  That and that awesome triple sound. 

Yeah, it can be buzzy, but no where near the Versys.  I took the Versys for a short ride this past weekend immediately after having the FJ out and my purchase was instantly validated.

FWIW, size wise, they are about the same size ( see below ).  The Versys sits higher than the FJ but the FJ's tank makes it look bigger. 
IMG_2430.jpgIMG_2429.jpg

Nice! Now you must find some twisty roads to scrub the shine off those tires! :D

Alright guys I'm convinced to go with my heart and if I end up losing $2000-3000 in off-the-lot depreciation to "lease" an FJ-09 for a year and decide I still want to downgrade to a FJ-07 (should it make it here), then so be it.

I hope I can work out a deal, but I told myself if I get the FJ I'm not settling for anything other than the 2016 silver/blue because I love the colors. Might have a little less negotiation wiggle room because of that.

A dealer near me is listing 2016's for $10,003, so that's a start at least.

I used to be indecisive...now I'm not sure

In other news, in the seat comfort department, I'm going to try a lamb fleece to sit on, 30 quid from my local farm, cut a piece the right shape and give the rest to the dog to lie on... I'll report back
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I used to be indecisive...now I'm not sure  

In other news, in the seat comfort department, I'm going to try a lamb fleece to sit on, 30 quid from my local farm, cut a piece the right shape and give the rest to the dog to lie on... I'll report back
Or if that doesn't work, throw the dog onto the seat and sit on him/ her. [em]W[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Guest bruinfj09guy
Alright guys I'm convinced to go with my heart and if I end up losing $2000-3000 in off-the-lot depreciation to "lease" an FJ-09 for a year and decide I still want to downgrade to a FJ-07 (should it make it here), then so be it. 
I hope I can work out a deal, but I told myself if I get the FJ I'm not settling for anything other than the 2016 silver/blue because I love the colors. Might have a little less negotiation wiggle room because of that.

Congrats on settling to a decision! 
I highly doubt you will have any interest downgrading to an FJ-07 if they come around, after you have spent some time on the FJ-09. 

Instead, prepare to lose your off-the-lot depreciation when you go to upgrade to an FJ-10! :D

I highly doubt you will have any interest downgrading to an FJ-07 if they come around, after you have spent some time on the FJ-09. 

Instead, prepare to lose your off-the-lot depreciation when you go to upgrade to an FJ-10! :D
Yeah. I may take a hit if they decide to release something like that.

Guest bruinfj09guy

Yeah. I may take a hit if they decide to release something like that.
You and me both.

A moderately farkled used FJ just showed up at a dealer in range of me. I'm still set on getting a 2016, but this guy did a nice job with reflective taping.

Anyone recognize this as a fellow (presumably soon to be ex-) board member's ride?

I'd love to know why he's selling it.

http://www.cyclemax.net/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=1983446

Guest bruinfj09guy
You must really like silver and blue!

That is a great looking bike. I bet you could get it out the door for close to 8 all said and done. People usually sell bikes like this due to getting sick of it and wanting something else, lack of ability/time/desire to ride, or need for cash. Some guys just buy bikes, spend money on them, and sell them.

I can't imagine that there would be any red flags or issues on a used bike like that.

You must really like silver and blue! 

I do, an illogical amount even. 
In any case this dealer that has that used one also happens to be the closest one to have a 2016 silver/blue in stock so I'll be visiting them this weekend.  Maybe when I get there, I'll have a change of heart and go for the used one.

Looks like the guy got the Seat Concepts seat and lowered the bike as well.  I'm just curious if the guy got rid of it simply because he couldn't get happy with it despite all the modifications.  5000 miles in a single year is good amount of riding though, at least in PA where we have real winters.

Even if I don't buy it, it'll be real nice to have it there as a test of whether I like the Seat Concepts seat!

Nick Sanders has been around the world on a Royal Enfield Bullet, a Triumph and an R1. Somebody else did it on a Honda C90. If you really wanted to, you could do it on a Tracer. That does not make any of those bikes 'suited' to long distance touring. Can you do a 300 mile day on a Tracer? Yes, of course. Would you want to do another one tomorrow? Very probably not. The common feature of all the bikes that I can think of that are better suited to long distance than a Tracer is that they include plush saddles.

Take responsibility for yourself, be a big kid, and make your own decision. When something happens you don't like, noone else is responsible but you. Your'e presumably old enough to ride a motorcycle, you should be mature enough to make decisions all by yourself. On the other hand, I have two bikes. I ride my GS because it has WAY more personality under me than the FJ, but the FJ rides way better two up. Plus, there's just something about consciously having to tighten up the abs when I crank the throttle that's just freaking fun. Power? As someone told me, they all start in first gear.

Folks, I present to you my just purchased FJ-09:

2015-Kawasaki-Versys-650-ABS-Motorcycles-For-Sale-38445.jpg

Just kidding, that's from a Google image search.

I ordered a fresh 2016 silver/blue from my preferred dealer.  Should hopefully have it in a week.

Hoping I get the new oil pan but the few other 2016s I've seen around all have the old style.

Alternatively the OP might be posing a question to us, in the same way as one would presumably pose a question to a salesbeing (not allowed to say sales MAN anymore are we).

To me it sounds like a different way of saying "what's this bike's USP?"

Interesting BTW on your opinion on GS Vs FJ...just got rid of my GS..a really really good bike, so good in fact it was bland - but fantastically good two up touring, very comfortable for SWMBO. The Tracer, on the other hand, is a hoot!

Now. OP. You will note that two peeps that have/had the same two bikes have opposite opinions in some aspects, And neither is wrong,(except Dooder ;) ) cos its very subjective.

Which is why, for all the opinions shared here - go for a test ride and ignore everyone else, as it's only your opinion that matters. And if,at the end of the day you decide to walk away...

...You'll be a loozer (just kiddin')
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Archived