Someone please talk me into the FJ

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last one, I swear. But this is the serious one. You know what you want, get it. Don't be wishy washy so if your not happy you can blame some guy on the internet.

CARPE DIEM YO!!!!

That is all.

272771.png

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Guest bruinfj09guy
  Tell me that the power is actually usable, that the seat isn't that bad,  

The power is usable. Granted, you won't want to give it full throttle all the time like you can on a less-powerful bike. However, you can revel in the delight that comes with judicious use of a full measure of throttle when used at appropriate times. It is what leaves me with grins after every ride. 
The seat isn't that bad, but I put a Seat Concepts on mine. I also find padded shorts to aid seating comfort.
I get a little down on it sometimes for not being quite the tourer I would like it to be. 
Then I go for a good rip in A mode and come back with the smile you mention. :) I just love that "WAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOUUUUUUUMMMMPPPPP" noise when I crack in almost any gear. I leave TCS on almost all the time, but I can feel it try to pull up and TCS engage when I do the said cracking of the throttle in at least first and second.

As for usable power, I know of no bike with power that is more "usable." I haven't been on a Versys, but I can't imagine why you would want one over an FJ. Also, I can't imagine why anyone would say "B or STD mode are fine for me"! Embrace the A mode. Tighten up the throttle slack to minimize the twitchiness. Find a remote area with some twisties and go and unwind. Corner to the best of your abilities, safely, and enjoy that torque on the corner exits.

There is a certain satisfaction to being able to hit the throttle stop on my CBR on a regular basis, "riding a slow bike fast" and all that.

Sad to hear pretty much everyone agrees that that seat is rubbish, but even so I'm getting more convinced to follow my heart.

Man will I ever be pissed if Yamaha does announce they'll be bringing the the Tracer 700 to the US after I buy the FJ-09 though.  Seat looks so much better, bike is more my size, right amount of power with an engine that still has character even though it's a parallel twin.

Guest bruinfj09guy
I think the seat "breaks in." Either that or my butt did. At first I was in pain and horribly uncomfortable after about 2 hours. Now I can easily handle 4 or 5 hour rides and am much less uncomfortable than I was at 2 hours (8600 miles of seat time on that baby now). Gel bicycle shorts can be had for about 20 bucks, if you want a cheap option. Like I said, I'd look around for a good used one. One went here in CA for something like $7500 bucks a few weeks ago, that had a couple thousand in upgrades on it. There are a few used starting to pop up, and you can save that initial drive-off-the-lot depreciation. Also, check out the OTD thread, to see what people are paying. You should be able to walk away with one for about $9k total, maybe a bit more if in CA.

• Premium Member
You can get by without changing the seat. I rode to France last year on the OE seat and did not die, sometimes riding 400 miles in a day. I have the disposable income to be able to buy a more comfortable seat, so I upgraded to the Bagster one.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Get the FJ. I'm 5'8, 145lbs, can handle the bike no problem. It's my 2nd street bike, came from an FZ-07. You'll be wishing you had the power, it's an easy bike to ride.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

You have the money, but do you have the patience? Neither bike is good for the 'long distance' touring you talk about wanting, though the Versys is probably a bit better then the FJ. A completely different bike for you to consider would be the NC7xx series from Honda. It is a step up in power, weight and touring ability from what you are used to but I would recommend you get a second hand one as you will outgrow it pretty quickly though it will give you a year of fun (and learning) while waiting to see the the Tracer 700 is coming to the States.

Guest bruinfj09guy
The FJ-09 seems and feels bigger largely due to the plastic bulge around the tank and the handguards. She isn't as low as a cruiser, but the seat is really not high. I find when I am wearing tight pants or my textile riding pants my crotch doesn't split as easy and I tiptoe. Still, it is a pretty light bike, so flatfoot on one side at stops and just be careful not to lean too far. :)

• Premium Member
Looked at a Versys. For 5 minutes. Looked like fine machine but it just didn't intrest me that much. I knew I wanted that triple. What an engine! Also owning an FJR, the FJ is LIGHT.Even in stock trim, I have no issues with the suspension. It could be better, but I can rail turns just fine as is for now. Set it up for my FJR panniers and it is a fine tourer. I know folks 2 up tour on it, but I personally go with the FJR for that duty. More room. The FJ is my all time favorite bike. It is a joy to ride. ALL DAY. MPG has improved with mileage so I'm getting over 200 miles per tank. Not bad, considering I wring her neck in the twisties.
As stated, for Me, the seat was an instrument of extreme torture. Glad some folks are ok with it, but I couldn't adjust. Seth Lamm fixed that for me. AHHH.. For me, the windscreen sucked too. LOUD! Cal Sci fixed that. Now, my FJ rocks. Great bike. Go for it. No buyers remorse for me.
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

• Premium Member
You have the money, but do you have the patience? Neither bike is good for the 'long distance' touring you talk about wanting, though the Versys is probably a bit better then the FJ. A completely different bike for you to consider would be the NC7xx series from Honda. It is a step up in power, weight and touring ability from what you are used to but I would recommend you get a second hand one as you will outgrow it pretty quickly though it will give you a year of fun (and learning) while waiting to see the the Tracer 700 is coming to the States.
I think you are very much in a minority if you have the view that the Tracer/FJ is not suited to long distance touring. @johan and I are off to France later this year and we are talking of trips from the UK to Portugal or the Balkans in future years. 

Admittedly, it is not like a Goldwing which could be ridden on motorways all of the way from Milan to the UK in a day, but a Tracer/FJ is fine for trips where you are doing 300 miles a day in mixed terrain in the lumpier bits of Europe. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

You can get by without changing the seat. I rode to France last year on the OE seat and did not die, sometimes riding 400 miles in a day. I have the disposable income to be able to buy a more comfortable seat, so I upgraded to the Bagster one.
I have disposable income too, and find no reason to change the FJ-09 seat, and I know what a great seat is like as I have a Russell Day Long on my FJR.  I truly believe  that you need to build up a little tuffness in the ASS to sit on a motorcycle for 8-10+ hours.  Since I ride in the neighborhood of 25K miles a year, I may have a tuffer ass than some.  I say give the seat a chance, and work that ass to tuffen it up.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
I have disposable income too, and find no reason to change the FJ-09 seat, and I know what a great seat is like as I have a Russell Day Long on my FJR.  I truly believe  that you need to build up a little tuffness in the ASS to sit on a motorcycle for 8-10+ hours.  Since I ride in the neighborhood of 25K miles a year, I may have a tuffer ass than some.  I say give the seat a chance, and work that ass to tuffen it up.
Or for some, it might be they way they choose to work their arse that means it needs to be cosseted at other times :P 

[ul type=disc][*] [/ul]What I really want is the Tracer 700, i.e. what should our FJ-07, but sadly with Yamaha deciding we don't deserve the XSR700 in the US, I'm not confident they'll bring the Tracer 700 here either.  Certainly not this year in any case, and I plan on doing some long distance touring this year, which is why I can't wait and see.

Can someone make an impassioned case for getting the FJ?  Tell me that the power is actually usable, that the seat isn't that bad, that it's not too big for someone who's 5'9", and that $3000 is not much to avoid having a tinge of regret every time I look at the Versys's ugly face.

I ride with a guy that has an old Versys, first year, and still rides it, even to Mexico, from PDX territory.  So long trips on the Versys is Okay.  And another FJR friend that just picked up a 2015 Versys and is riding it everywhere, like two 3K trips already this year, and he has a FJR in the garage.  As far as power goes, the Versys will go as fast as needed and in the tight twisties it will out preform others on faster bikes if your riding skills allow it, as my friend on his Versys is faster than me on my FJR in the 10-25mph twisties.  I know a few guys that are also waiting for the FJ-07, that were on the fence for the FJ-09, knowing that 700cc is plenty for their style of riding and don't mind being left in the dust as they know eventually they will catch up.  Lastly, the FJ power is usable, I reach the max. all the time and I am no hooigan.  I'm 5-7 1/2 and have no trouble with the seat height.  I can sit on the FJ for better than 5000 miles and 14 days without issue.  See my tuffen up the ass post.  Offer $1000 less for the FJ at a number of dealers and see if any bite.  Be aware of the additional charges, Don't pay any.  Make them quote "Out the Door Prices" + Title and License, and write the check for that price.  Buy a 2015 if you can and save.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I don't love the fj seat but don't want to dump money into it as it suffices for most rides and I have other bikes. 
I bought a motoskeevies and I have to say it helps extend the range before I am dying on my fj.  But I do stand up alot which helps tremendously.

But the new shorts do make a real difference for me on the fj.  No need on my rt which has a comfy seat.

Archived