My FJ-09 does not like 1000-3000 RPM

I did 2 hours of heavy bumper to bumper traffic today and my bike did not like it. Once I'm completely off the clutch, but not completely accelerating, it is a very jerky ride. I know there's going to be some of this in first gear but I'm wondering if A) this is more prevelant on the Fj-09 or B) there may be a problem.

Even when in neutral, when I try to keep the engine at anywhere from 1k to 3k it feels like it doesn't want to be there. It's a rough time until past 3000 rpm. I have 400 miles on it.

I'm wondering if a ecu flash is in order?

Thanks. Ryan

Guest highplainsrider
What throttle map are you using? Try B mode - it should give you a softer throttle input which will be helpful in stop and go situations.

What throttle map are you using? Try B mode - it should give you a softer throttle input which will be helpful in stop and go situations.

I did eventually switch to B mode and it helped a little. I really like this machine but so far only when I'm above 20mph.

I did eventually switch to B mode and it helped a little. I really like this machine but so far only when I'm above 20mph.

i haven't had any issues like you are describing. I am able to modulate the clutch to take off without giving it any throttle to handle low speed situations. 1st gear idle speed is 7mph, 2nd gear idle speed is about 12 mph if I recall correctly. If you are trying to give it much throttle at all it will want to accelerate quickly. I'm not sure this really is your issue since you say it's running rough in neutral too. I'm wondering if you need an early throttle body sync or something like that.

Guest highplainsrider
You may just need more break in miles. I am fortunate in that I am rarely in stop and go traffic on my bike but as far as I know I haven't experienced the jerkiness that you are describing.  Are you close enough to the dealer to have them check it out for you? Fueling should be fine on a stock bike.

It could be a matter of perspective. Coming from a Ducati 1100 with a dry clutch, my clutch starts feel incredibly smooth. What were you riding before the FJ-09?

Guest bruinfj09guy
Have you adjusted your throttle slack? Pull back the boot about ten inches down the throttle wire, loosen the nut, and tighten until there is almost no play. The chain should still be good if set up proper, but too loose could make things jerky.

Even STD mode is fine for me. A is a little jerky at low speeds. Like others said, maybe it will smooth out. It shouldn't really be too jerky,though.

Guest bruinfj09guy
Also, seems a little early for a throttle body sync, but one is scheduled at 600 mi. Maybe make sure it gets done with the service.

Thanks for the advice so far.... I appreciate it.

- The chain slack is fine, I am almost positive that it's engine issue. Like I said, even in neutral, the engine seems to starve for either fuel or air between 1000 and 3000 rpm.
- Nothing to do with the clutch as it happens after it's fully released when I'm trying to maintain a constant low speed. Say 10 mph. Once actually accelerating and the rpms are above 3000, the engine is smooth and powerful. Any constant speed after the clutch is out below 3000 rpm is very jerky.
- I'll take a look at the throttle slack if I get a chance.

I can wait until the 600 mile service as it's nothing critical, more of an annoyance. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks again, Ryan

• Premium Member
+1 on the throttle body sync. Mine was a little jerky till I had the throttle sync done at my first service. Smooth as silk now. I'm at close to 6000 miles now and my FJ09 is just getting better. So much fun and nimble... If your having your dealer service your bike, tell them your concerns so they know what to look for and have them follow the owner's manual service requirements.

A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

I dunno about the throttle sync, I'm at 14,000 miles and haven't done mine yet... The stock map makes low rpm crawling pretty rough (you can feel how lean it is down low) but it's hard to say without riding the bike. Before the ECU flash when going slow in 1st (at a constant throttle) I could feel the engine surge and buck, it felt like a really loose chain slapping around.

• Premium Member
I flip mine to B-Mode for traffic and I don't ever feel any jerky-ness.
B-mode????? Never heard of it..... :) 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived