Educate a noob - Benefits of shorty levers

Since I've never had them on a bike before, can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages of adjustable shorty brake/clutch levers?

Do they give you faster more controlled clutch action? Are they purely for looks? Are they only for people with small hands? If you put them on your bike, do you automagically get more girls/endorsement deals/parties in your honour?

What's the deal? Help educate a noob.

Since I've never had them on a bike before, can someone please explain the advantages/disadvantages of adjustable shorty brake/clutch levers?  
Do they give you faster more controlled clutch action? Are they purely for looks? Are they only for people with small hands? If you put them on your bike, do you automagically get more girls/endorsement deals/parties in your honour?

Longer ones give more leverage. Shorter ones don't break off in a crash. 
So... more benefit to off road bikes where crashes are more frequent. I would think if I crashed my FJ, a broken clutch lever would be the lease of my worries :) 

Actually, the shorter ones don't require any leverage, and pull in with no effort at all, with a pinkytip if you want. They are not for everyone, I guess, but I put em on all my bikes.

It is unlikely that any length lever will break off in a crash on the FJ-09, given the OEM handguards.

Actually, the shorter ones don't require any leverage, and pull in with no effort at all, with a pinkytip if you want. They are not for everyone, I guess, but I put em on all my bikes.
Huh? Basic laws of physics state that a longer lever provides greater leverage. Shorter ones would require more pull. EVERYTHING requires force unless gravity itself is now pulling sidewalls instead of vertically!!!  :)

Jezzus GSO, don't have a heart attack, please.

It's all about pivot point and the distance between your two fingers an the pivot point on the lever.
If you only use two fingers to brake, it means that your fingers are going to be a little way up the stock lever and not on the very end it, like when using a long lever. On a long lever, those last two fingers are wasted and not actually adding any leverage.

With a short lever your fingers are still going to be the same distance away from the pivot point of the lever, resulting in no lost leverage.

This is why racebikes, MX bikes, Stunt Bikes and tons of street bikes have been switched over to shorty levers. People learn that they are really only applying pulling force with two fingers, even though they are holding on with four.

I hope this makes sense.

• Premium Member
I am a two finger rider also and like the smaller levers. Sometimes the smaller levers look goofy on a motorcycle, like my FJR1300, so I upgraded to billet full length levers. Still only use 1/2 of the mechanical advantage. I like the look, that is basically it.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 weeks later...
Short levers allow better steering control because one can hold onto the handlebar with the last two fingers while applying the front brake or pulling in the clutch.

Some love shorties, some cant get used to them. I like the ASV shorty levers and started using them on my dirtbikes years ago.

Short levers allow better steering control because one can hold onto the handlebar with the last two fingers while applying the front brake or pulling in the clutch.
Some love shorties, some cant get used to them. I like the ASV shorty levers and started using them on my dirtbikes years ago.
I suppose it's ok to use long or short levers on road, but shorties is a must on dirt bike.  

Archived