Over Weight

surlyman

I just purchased fj with the idea of riding mostly solo with some 2 up with my wife. Unfortunately I didn't realize the max capacity was 397. Solo is cool but with wife and our gear we are at about 50 lbs over. Should I be super concerned being 12% over weight? I figured I might have to upgrade/replace rear shock. BuilderBob suggested I try just replacing rear spring.

I really love this bike and my wife, I just need to figure out how to safely keep both. Question is do I just need a beefier spring or beefier tires, or replacement of rear/front shocks and springs or just max out pre-load and go on with my life? Any and all input or suggestions would really be appreciated!

I had a similar conversation during a Horizons Unlimited workshop. I was told suspension and tire load are the things to worry about. I was worried about swing arm, bearings, etc.. For tires, check pressure will not increase more than 10% after a 30 min ride. More air is required if it does. And since the tire has a maximum pressure, different tires may come into play. I think for 50 lb, builderbob's advise is reasonable. But you may want to check sag front/rear fully loaded to make sure. I am no suspension expert but that seems to be a common recommendation as a starting point.

• Premium Member
can't be that hard to shed 25lbs each with a combination of a diet and ditching unnecessary luggage
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never regarded this bike as a 2-up machine. I'm 6' and 220lbs, so throw on some leathers, luggage and a rack of gear, and I'm nearing the 300lbs+ mark. IMHO, this is pushing the limits of the OEM suspension.

You need to really look at the gear that you are carrying, if you at topping 2-up at 450lbs! That is a hell of a lot of weight to hang over the rear of the bike.

There is always a sidecar to consider........

It handles it fine. Better than the FZ09 did, but they say the rates are the same? I don't agree. The FJ09 is much firmer, and I'm a big dude working on becoming a smaller dude again.

But I'm not going to limit my riding fun just because I'm a fan of food. ;)

It handles it fine. Better than the FZ09 did, but they say the rates are the same? I don't agree. The FJ09 is much firmer, and I'm a big dude working on becoming a smaller dude again. 
But I'm not going to limit my riding fun just because I'm a fan of food. ;)

So are you saying that an opinion is more accurate then a calibrated spring rate tester? Interesting theory. Yes I said the rates were the same but the FJ09 does have a longer spring so a bit more preload assuming the same ramp position. Also the valving is night and day comparing the FZ09 to the FJ09 so yeah it would feel firmer. 

I just purchased fj with the idea of riding mostly solo with some 2 up with my wife. Unfortunately I didn't realize the max capacity was 397. Solo is cool but with wife and our gear we are at about 50 lbs over. Should I be super concerned being 12% over weight? I figured I might have to upgrade/replace rear shock. BuilderBob suggested I try just replacing rear spring. 
I really love this bike and my wife, I just need to figure out how to safely keep both. Question is do I just need a beefier spring or beefier tires, or replacement of rear/front shocks and springs or just max out pre-load and go on with my life? Any and all input or suggestions would really be appreciated!

Not sure if this will help surlyman, but I listed a used shock spring rated 13.1 Kg./mm (733 lb./in) for sale in the classified section. That will handle a 280 pound rider or rider/pillion (without gear).

I weigh 270 lbs in gear. Stock shock spring was too soft and used up a lot of travel. There is no way I would try two up with stock suspension. Race Tech gave me 650 lb/in shock spring. Ohlins has me with 625 lb/in shock spring and NX-30 fork inserts with (I think) 57 lb/in springs. I did a short ride with my wife with Ohlins. She weighs 100 lbs in gear, so 370 lbs two up and bike handled pretty good considering that much weight, used barely 1/2" extra shock travel with her.

A few qualifications, shock and fork valving varies considerable between different brands and can make relevant comparisons of spring rates difficult. Next, I put on a back rest (taken off another bike and mounted with home made brackets) which kept her, and me, as far forward at practical. She was comfortable, but I would not be comfortable to ride more than an hour, which is the most she will ride at any one time anyway. Lastly, I never went over 50 mph, only city driving. That is all she will do.

Archived