I cant wait till i get my Sargent Seat

I have had my Sargent seat for a few weeks now. I have had three rides now from 4-5 hours each. BIG difference over stock. Just love this seat. Later when I go on longer trips I will try a Airhawk on it as well. BTW, I got short legs and I definitely appreciated the lower seat height from stock.
n2shotokai - Can you give me any idea of how much lower the Sargent is compared to the stock seat?  The Yamaha lowered seat blurb says "The front is 1" narrower and a ½” lower, effectively lowering the seat by 1 ¼” compared to the stock seat", but I assume the Sargent isn't narrower in the front, so can you estimate the "effective" lowering?  The Sargent site indicates 0.3", does that seem about right?  I have the Yamaha lowered seat, and after an hour or so it starts to feel like a 2x6 board, you know.  thanks 

My main complaint so far on the stock seat is that it is angled to feel like the front of the seat is going downhill and I've noticed that since it feels like it is going downhill it creates more pressure than if the seat were level.

Does the sargent or any of the other aftermarket seats correct that?
"I live at the end of a 1-way dead end street"

15' Yamaha FJ-09 Matte Grey - Current
04' BMW M3 AW/BLK 6MT Slicktop - Current (Daily)
89' Mazda Rx7 Black/LS1 6MT - Current (Track car)

Thanks for the reply. I saw you should be getting yours soon, please update us on ow you like or dislike it!

So I got the seat and there's a problem. I custom ordered the non-plus version but with the DTX material. I did this because I specifically didn't want seams or the extra grippy panels in the thigh area. I even emailed Sargent to make sure this was possible before ordering and they said yes.

The seat I got...has the seams and side panels, basically they made a Plus version seat with no welt (the no welt part is correct). I'm a little disappointed in that, but when I placed the order I didn't add a note saying that I was very specifically requesting the non-plus version with DTX because I didn't want the seams - so I take a little responsibility.

I'm going to try it out before I make an issue out of it though. If the seams don't bother me, then I'll keep it.

Unfortunately, we're having rainstorms here right now that are expected to carry on into tomorrow. There's already fallen branches and washed out gravel everywhere :( Hopefully it's nice on Sunday and I can get a test ride in.

• Premium Member
I have had my Sargent seat for a few weeks now. I have had three rides now from 4-5 hours each. BIG difference over stock. Just love this seat. Later when I go on longer trips I will try a Airhawk on it as well. BTW, I got short legs and I definitely appreciated the lower seat height from stock.
n2shotokai - Can you give me any idea of how much lower the Sargent is compared to the stock seat?  The Yamaha lowered seat blurb says "The front is 1" narrower and a ½” lower, effectively lowering the seat by 1 ¼” compared to the stock seat", but I assume the Sargent isn't narrower in the front, so can you estimate the "effective" lowering?  The Sargent site indicates 0.3", does that seem about right?  I have the Yamaha lowered seat, and after an hour or so it starts to feel like a 2x6 board, you know.  thanks
Well I do not have measurements, but .3" seems reasonable. With the stock seat I was on the tip toe or balls of both my feet. Now it is much more relaxed and I can easily flat foot one foot. I don't even think about it now when I stop. 
As also mentioned, the angle of the seat not sloping forward eliminates pressure points as does the increased width at the back. This is without a doubt one of the best acquisitions I have made. 

Did a 4 hour ride today. For me, I can't say it's as great as I was hoping it would be, but I may have set my expectations unreasonably high; it is an improvement over stock in any case. It's definitely moved a lot of pressure off my tailbone, and the dished out thigh area has decreased pressure and chafing on my inner thighs. However, I do now have pressure on my back upper thighs, kind of in the area where my thighs meet my butt cheeks. This is pressure from the edges on the wider part the seat. I wish the seat wasn't quite as wide in the butt area. That said, this pain is not as bad as what I felt in other areas with the stock seat, so I do consider it a worthwhile purchase. I may still have to supplement with an air pad on a truly long ride.

The thigh seams were not an issue, and I'm glad I got the DTX material. Sargent seems to have made an error in this respect, as ordering the non-Plus seat with the DTX material was $299.95, while the Plus seat is $309.95 - and as far as I know the only thing that differentiates the non-Plus and Plus seat is the default seat material.  So anyone who wants to save $10 on a Plus seat, just order a custom non-Plus and change the "seat insert" to DTX!

Photo%20Jul%2010%201%2039%2041%20PM_zpshzgfhyk1.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2010%201%2040%2008%20PM_zpsc8wlzgvd.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2010%205%2049%2003%20PM_zpsosdf4kei.jpg

Went ahead and ordered front and rear seats today. Excited to try them out.

• 1 month later...
I ordered the basic seat. I think it was $279. I lasted 10 minutes. It seems comfortable but the cover material on the base seat is slippery as butter with my Kevlar motoport suit. I believe the type of riding gear you have is very important from a compatibility standpoint. I would slide forward a lot with each braking. I had high hopes. I used them before with success, before motoport.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Ok I got my new Sargent Seat in and I have to admit I am impressed. I have only ridden about 30 miles so far but it is a instant notice of how it feels. It feels much flatter and wider but that is a good thing. The foam is a little stiff but the way the seat is shaped it does distribute your weight more evenly. With it being flatter you naturally tend to sit back a little more than you would with the stock seat. Also a good thing, I like to sit back a little farther in the seat. The passenger seat makes a nice little back rest for the ole bum and it feels pretty comfortable. The passenger seat feels much better too. I had my daughter sit on it and she said that the sargent seat "Cups your butt more than the stock seat." She liked it. Looking at it, it does look kinda wide but not enough to stick out like a sore thumb. I got the seat with the performance plus material. So far I like it, it keeps you planted but if you need to shift a little you're not going to stick to the seat like your butt is velcroed to it. Only quirk I dont like is because the passenger seat is wider as well, you are not able to easily fully grab onto the grab handle. You can do it but it will pinch your fingers between the seat and grab handle. If that is the only flaw I can find with this seat then it is a flaw worth having. Can't be perfect I guess. So far my first impressions are positive. I will elaborate more after I get more miles put on it. 
kW6tzFD.jpg

snguNoM.jpg

wZcDR1u.jpg

vltTJU0.jpg

uhsodO2.jpg

I love the look of your seat. What exactly was the configuration you ordered?

Omar

Archived