I cant wait till i get my Sargent Seat

So far I have put almost 3000 miles on my new FJ-09 since March.  Got it all decked out with all kinds of mods and the one thing I can't wait to get is the seat.  When I bought the bike I thought it would be cool to get a yamaha lowered seat to get a little more lower to the ground so I could reach a little better.  My god that seat sucked.  I sat me in a way so the ole twig and berries would rest right on the back of the tank making for a rather uncomfortable experience in more ways than one.  Plus it felt like there was no padding at all on it so it felt like I was just sitting on a hard plastic pan.  Sent the seat back and got my money back and put on the stock seat back on.  My next idea was to go to a upholstery shop and had them add 1" of foam to it.  Yea it sits me up higher but I was hoping that the seat would be more bearable.  Unfortunately now it feels like I'm sitting on a half inflated basketball and I have lost all connection to the bike.  I speed up and my butt rolls back, I hit the brakes and my butt rolls forward screwing up my balance on the bike.  So last weekend I said screw it and forked out the $500 for the sargent seat.  I figured I can wait 2-3 weeks.  Now it seems like I am waiting, staring at the clock watching the seconds tick by.  This is going to be a really really long 2-3 weeks.  I still get on the bike and ride around just because I love to ride but every second I'm on it I dream of whats to come... UUggghhh this wait is killing me!!!

Sorry... just had to rant a little.   

I'm loving my Sargent seat. I initially ordered the regular World Performance seat with the CarbonFX material.  Unfortunately I found it to be too slick when I wore my textile riding pants so I got it recovered with the Performance Plus material and love it.  The seat is a huge improvement over stock.  I find myself sitting a little farther back in the saddle to get the most comfort, but even close to the tank its much better than stock.  Not going to lie... its not a soft seat at all, but the way it disperses the rider's weight is what makes the difference.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm loving my Sargent seat. I initially ordered the regular World Performance seat with the CarbonFX material.  Unfortunately I found it to be too slick when I wore my textile riding pants so I got it recovered with the Performance Plus material and love it.  The seat is a huge improvement over stock.  I find myself sitting a little farther back in the saddle to get the most comfort, but even close to the tank its much better than stock.  Not going to lie... its not a soft seat at all, but the way it disperses the rider's weight is what makes the difference. 
Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Yea I remember reading this on the forums about the CarbonFX material being kinda slick so that's why I forked out the extra dough and got the Performance Plus.  I totally agree about dispersion of the seat being more important than softness.  I have a stiletto style seat on my Vstar 650 and it hardly has any padding on it at all, but because it distributes the pressure so well it is pretty comfortable and I can ride on it for pretty long distances before it starts wearing on me.  But then again any seat will get kind of tiresome after a long time sitting on it.  Also from what I have read the sargent seat gets a little softer after a while as it breaks in.   I am so looking forward to it.  I will post some pics after I get it on and give a little review once I get some miles on it to help others looking into getting a new seat.  I know looking for seats can be a daunting task sometimes and making a decision on what to get can get frustrating.      

• 2 weeks later...
Just took my first ride on my Sargent seat on Sunday. Rode two hours without a break and then the ride was over. I could not ride two hours without a break for more than about an hour on the stock seat and it was getting uncomfortable after an hour.

The Sargent is a little wide in the back, which doesn't look great IMO, but given it's increased comfort it may truly transform the FJ09 into a bike that lives up to the "touring" part of "sports-touring" in the advertising.

So, overall changes: Puig touring fairing (in highest setting, very good wind protection for a 5'10" rider and pretty quiet--can ride with faceshield open); Sargent seat (the Performance Plus model); Renthal "Streetfighter" handle bar. Now the bike fits me well and is far more comfortable than it was right out of the box.

Changes to come: Integrated rear light/turn signals; license plate bracket and case savers. Also, probably removing the passenger grab rails and maybe the foot pegs as I rarely, if ever, carry a passenger.

The bike is averaging high 40 to low 50 MPG on every ride so far. Not too shabby. Very stable and secure handling and really usable broad power. Overall, with the changes I've made, this is a bike I can see riding on long trips. Wish the top end was not limited or had a higher limit--at least 125!

...Wish the top end was not limited or had a higher limit--at least 125!

ECU flash in your future? I'm planning on getting mine done.. not that I'm a speed demon, but it's the principle of limiting my top speed. I will decide how fast I will go, damn it! :-P

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Ok I got my new Sargent Seat in and I have to admit I am impressed. I have only ridden about 30 miles so far but it is a instant notice of how it feels. It feels much flatter and wider but that is a good thing. The foam is a little stiff but the way the seat is shaped it does distribute your weight more evenly. With it being flatter you naturally tend to sit back a little more than you would with the stock seat. Also a good thing, I like to sit back a little farther in the seat. The passenger seat makes a nice little back rest for the ole bum and it feels pretty comfortable. The passenger seat feels much better too. I had my daughter sit on it and she said that the sargent seat "Cups your butt more than the stock seat." She liked it. Looking at it, it does look kinda wide but not enough to stick out like a sore thumb. I got the seat with the performance plus material. So far I like it, it keeps you planted but if you need to shift a little you're not going to stick to the seat like your butt is velcroed to it. Only quirk I dont like is because the passenger seat is wider as well, you are not able to easily fully grab onto the grab handle. You can do it but it will pinch your fingers between the seat and grab handle. If that is the only flaw I can find with this seat then it is a flaw worth having. Can't be perfect I guess. So far my first impressions are positive. I will elaborate more after I get more miles put on it.

kW6tzFD.jpg

snguNoM.jpg

wZcDR1u.jpg

vltTJU0.jpg

uhsodO2.jpg

...Only quirk I dont like is because the passenger seat is wider as well, you are not able to easily fully grab onto the grab handle. You can do it but it will pinch your fingers between the seat and grab handle. If that is the only flaw I can find with this seat then it is a flaw worth having. Can't be perfect I guess...

I noticed this too. I figure if I start having a pillion rider often I will add some spacers where the handrails connect to raise them slightly.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 3 weeks later...
Got notice that mine shipped the other day too. Should have it tomorrow.
I am getting itchy to hear mine is on the way, too.   
Considered having them make mine custom to make it a bit higher for my knees sake, but decided for the first try I'll let them do what they like to do with the seat.

• Premium Member
I have had my Sargent seat for a few weeks now.
I debated what option to go, I did not care for the looks of the one piece and I have had Seat Concepts on several bikes. I like them but, I was looking for a much bigger improvement as I want to go on much longer rides. So I went with Sargent.
I have had three rides now from 4-5 hours each. BIG difference over stock. Just love this seat. Later when I go on longer trips I will try a Airhawk on it as well. BTW, I got short legs and I definitely appreciated the lower seat height from stock.

Archived