New or used?

Hello all, so I've found a new 2015 at a dealership in colorado that they will give me for $8500 plus tax and also a used one exact same bike with 5k miles on it for $7300.. Im having a hard time with paying 1200 more for exact same bike.. does the 5k miles justify the savings or am i better off getting new and knowing everything about it?

Hello all, so I've found a new 2015 at a dealership in colorado that they will give me for $8500 plus tax and also a used one exact same bike with 5k miles on it for $7300.. Im having a hard time with paying 1200 more for exact same bike.. does the 5k miles justify the savings or am i better off getting new and knowing everything about it?

That really depends on you. Make sure you are asking out the door prices as a lot of new prices aren't really the price you pay after freight and dealer fees. The two biggest things are knowing the full bike history and duration of the warranty. Just depends on how much that is worth to you.

• Premium Member
I'd look to see if the used bike has any useful modifications that add to it's value e.g. luggage racks, better screen etc.

Also, IIRC in the US the bike should have had a service at 600 miles and then 4000 miles later. Have these been done with stamps in the book and entries on the dealer service computer? If this was a European bike with 6000 mile service intervals I would be asking for a credit for the 6k service.

I'd want tyres in good condition - rear will be shagged if still the original. Fronts can last a lot longer. A new pair would be better.

If the bike has the service history and decent tyres then I'd consider the used bike. If there are a few hundred $ of useful accessories then it's a no brainer.

If the used bike has no service provenance, shagged tyres and has been abused by the previous owner then get the new 2015 model (from a different dealer if the used bike is being offered in a nasty state).
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

It's not my money, but I wouldn't hesitate - buy new every time if affordable. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

So used bike is from private party, new is obviously dealer. Totally separate. I don't NEED to finance but would like a little extra spending money for accessories. Both bikes are completely stock and the used one does have maintenance logs and tires are decent. 8500 plus tax is a really good deal on bike right? i keep going over it in my head and yamaha financing changes their offer july 1st. (3.99 for 36 month now) anyone have experience with this? do you think it will be better or worse?

Guest highplainsrider
New if you can swing the extra money is my advice. I've been burned by some really poor maintenance on used bikes that wasn't evident until I was stuck with them. I had one bike that had over torqued and stripped bolts and screws everywhere. I spent a lot of time with drills and easy outs the first time I had to take the fairing off that bike.

Not saying that will happen with every used bike, but the difference in price that you are looking at between new and used isn't all that much for the extra insurance that nothing has been half-assed on the bike.

In general I have always been more comfortable with new bikes. The risk of improper maintenance, improper modification, potential saftey issues that are not apparent initially... just too much for me to worry about given the results of a crash can be catastrophic.

Archived