Question about Shad SH36 side cases

So I am in the market for a nice set of side cases, and I have been looking at both the Shad SH36 and the Givi V35. I am leaning towards the Shad, but have a question. I have seen on different websites brackets with specific adapters for different brands (example: SW-Motech Quick-lock EVO side case racks for $325).
I then went on the Shad website, and was looking at the cases and under the selection for color and gives the price $4969, it asks for bike model, and when you select FJ-09 it says add $175.
Does that mean that it comes with brackets to fit the bike and I don't need the motech ones? Is there an advantage to the motech ones that would be worth the extra money (I cant really think of one). 

I know that there are threads on here for similar questions, and I apologize if the question has already been answered, and I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!
Scott

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not have a set of SHAD cases but plan on ordering some eventually. It is my understanding that SHAD provides all the mounting hardware needed. Someone who has ordered a set can correct me if I'm wrong or add more detail about the SHAD mounting hardware.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Just received the SHAD SH36 cases and installed.  Yes, SHAD "3P" hardware purchased separately from cases upon order. I purchased through my local Yamaha dealer, but due to the poor communication that ensued, perhaps you should purchase directly from the site: http://shadusa.com/wp/archives/product/fitment-kit-3p-honda-yamaha-fj-09. See if you can reach Michael there. 

Currently SHAD USA seems to have difficulty filling the orders. Don't know if they had a customs problem or what, but it took 45-60 days for mine to arrive.  You can check with them, but I experienced a significant delay.

Mounting the hardware is extremely easy...and I am a pretty challenged as a mechanic. From the looks of it, this 3P system is quite ingenious.  The hardware is not bulky when bags are off...well integrated in my opinion. Seems light enough, but as yet mine are untested on a trip. My plan to tour was delayed due to a week of 100 degree heat here in Nor Cal. I have mounted and dismounted several times, noting that the rubber contact points are a little sticky when new.  

Prefer the appearance and design of the cases vs. Yamaha factory bags. Canceled on those after seeing SHAD.  I chose the "carbon look" finish option and it works well with the '15 mat graphite scheme.  Case can fit a helmet inside if needed.

Hope this helps some. 

• Premium Member
So I am in the market for a nice set of side cases, and I have been looking at both the Shad SH36 and the Givi V35. I am leaning towards the Shad, but have a question. I have seen on different websites brackets with specific adapters for different brands (example: SW-Motech Quick-lock EVO side case racks for $325). I then went on the Shad website, and was looking at the cases and under the selection for color and gives the price $4969, it asks for bike model, and when you select FJ-09 it says add $175.
Does that mean that it comes with brackets to fit the bike and I don't need the motech ones? Is there an advantage to the motech ones that would be worth the extra money (I cant really think of one). 

I know that there are threads on here for similar questions, and I apologize if the question has already been answered, and I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!
Scott
The $175 is for the mounting brackets that you will need to install the SH46 cases to your bike, and SW Motech is a totally different system.
BLB

• Premium Member
I have the SH-36s. Yes, get the Shad mounting hardware. It's likely incompatible with non-Shad stuff.

I like the SH-36s. They hold lots, and mount and unmount nicely. I'm in California, where lane splitting is on, so width is a consideration...and the SH-36s are a bit wide. If you're somewhere without lane splitting, or if you still have the extraordinarily wide hand guards on, then the width is not a consideration. When I'm commuting, I usually go with the top case only, no side cases.

Advice: Use some loctite or the like when you screw things in. Vibrations will loosen them otherwise! I came close to learning this the hard way!

Alternatives to SHAD are:

- Yamaha, which gives you the option of the (slim) FJ-09 cases or the (big) FJR cases. If you wanted both narrow and wide cases, this might be an appealing option, if you could get it at a discount (MSRP is excessive IMO).

- GIVI/Kappa, which gives you some neat options for things that can serve as either side cases or top cases. @wessie does this and it sounds clever. But since I don't travel light, I'm okay with having top case AND side cases.

If you can find them cheap, look for used FJR cases.  You can then use the yamaha factory mounting kit to mount these as they mount the same as the slim.  I have the Shad sh36 and i think they look good on the bike and they function well.  I got them with the bags as a preorder bonus.  Customer support was terrible and shipping took months.  I also got the sh39 top case with their mounting bracket and a user on here figured out how to mount both the top case and 3p racks together (it is a bit tricky as you don't use all to included hardware and requires a specific combo/order of washers and bolts but not too bad.  I don't recommend the sh39 case as I think it seems a bit cheaper than the larger ones and does not come with the backrest stock as it cost more to order separate (not sure about larger cases). With that said, I always have my top case on the bike and it always has my caliper lock, tire gauge, and tire puncture kit in it.  I have to move things around to get my helmet to fit in it.  Also the strap that holds it up broke (not a huge deal). It is easy to remove and clean if something spills inside, but I do notice things get jostled alot.  I bring my lunch to work and if not in a lunch bag crumbly things crumble (maybe I drive like a maniac?).  I think now that they are not on pre-order, your fulfillment might be easier, but if you have a problem be prepared for customer support on par with comcast (possibly even worse).  I've read you can find the top cases online cheaper through amazon, and I think the mounting is the same for all top cases, so not specific to which topcase you get.  I think I paid around $1200 usd for the mounting hardware for top and 3p, the top case, and the 2 sh36 side cases  (with interior bags being free).  I bet you could call their support and ask for a coupon or free inner bags and might be lucky, the inner bags while I don't use a lot, can be very handy to have.  

Some additional questions, do you already have a top case? If so your mounting may not be compatible with sh36's at least.  what are you carrying?  Have you considered going just for a top case?  In my opinion the top case is more useful and more likely to be used.  

The $175 is just for the mounting kit. When I ordered my mounting kit I got a set of free inner bags to go with it. They are great.

I have the two SH36 side cases and the SH48 top case. I think it's a great system. I run the side cases all the time and throw the top case on when I need the extra storage.

Some additional questions, do you already have a top case? If so your mounting may not be compatible with sh36's at least.  what are you carrying?  Have you considered going just for a top case?  In my opinion the top case is more useful and more likely to be used.  
Thanks everyone for all the responses and info! Its nice to have a community of people that are happy to help and share :)

I do not have a top case (personal opinion, I do not care for how top cases look, at least not by themselves). I don't plan on carrying a whole lot, maybe some thin waterproof stuff, my clear faceshield (until I get a new helmet) and generally just the stuff I normally have to put in my backpack when I ride. I really want to not have to wear a backpack every time I want to go for a ride. I read that a helmet fits in some of the side cases, including the sh36's? That would just be a nice bonus when I park to not have to carry it with me. Do the Shad cases lock? I am guessing they would. Also do they lock onto the bike, or just bolted on?

Thanks again for all the help guys.
Scott

Ok, so I did a little more of my own research (watched to video on Shad's website), and the cases are just latched on using the "3P" mounting system. Is there any way to lock them on there? Or can anyone that knows how they work just walk up and take them? That is one thing that the video didn't address and is somewhat important to me.

• Premium Member
:)

I do not have a top case (personal opinion, I do not care for how top cases look, at least not by themselves). I don't plan on carrying a whole lot, maybe some thin waterproof stuff, my clear faceshield (until I get a new helmet) and generally just the stuff I normally have to put in my backpack when I ride. I really want to not have to wear a backpack every time I want to go for a ride. I read that a helmet fits in some of the side cases, including the sh36's? That would just be a nice bonus when I park to not have to carry it with me. Do the Shad cases lock? I am guessing they would. Also do they lock onto the bike, or just bolted on?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Scott
Yes the Shad cases do lock, and I agree that saddlebags and top cases ain't pretty but just remember that you can't see them when your riding. I also think windshields are ugly as well but I cant seem to get very far without one any more. 
BLB

It looks like if they are locked, you will not be able to open the latch the remove them. That would also be really dumb to sell hard side cases that someone would be able to just walk away with. Pretty sure that would be all over the reviews if that was the case (no pun intended).

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

It looks like if they are locked, you will not be able to open the latch the remove them. That would also be really dumb to sell hard side cases that someone would be able to just walk away with. Pretty sure that would be all over the reviews if that was the case (no pun intended).
I just like to know for sure before I buy something. I agree that it doesn't make sense to be able to just walk away with them, but I am just trying to do my due diligence. I don't like to assume anything....

• Premium Member
I just like to know for sure before I buy something. I agree that it doesn't make sense to be able to just walk away with them, but I am just trying to do my due diligence. I don't like to assume anything... 

Yes when is locked you cannot remove the bag and that's a large size helmet with some room to spare.

4660939.jpg  

BLB

I just like to know for sure before I buy something. I agree that it doesn't make sense to be able to just walk away with them, but I am just trying to do my due diligence. I don't like to assume anything... 

Yes when is locked you cannot remove the bag and that's a large size helmet with some room to spare.

Nice! Thanks for the info guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
The $175 is just for the mounting kit. When I ordered my mounting kit I got a set of free inner bags to go with it. They are great.  
I have the two SH36 side cases and the SH48 top case. I think it's a great system. I run the side cases all the time and throw the top case on when I need the extra storage.
I have the SH36 cases as well. Have you ever had one drag in a corner, or heard of it happening? I normally take them off when I know I'll be riding it like a sport bike, but I'm riding it down to the Tail of the Dragon in September, and I'll be leaving them on.  I'm wondering just how far I can lean with them on. 

Archived