Switchable power to run Garmin

endoz

Stupid question, I've installed a Fuzeblock under the seat and ran the switchable power wire to run off the yellow brake light wire. Problem is, it only shows .07 volts when I hook up the voltmeter...won't charge the old garmin zumo let alone run it. Can't figure out what i'm doing wrong? Followed instructions exactly, am i missing something like an extra relay ?

FYIW i did this same setup (twilight switchable power) on my old Hypermotard and it worked perfect.

I must be getting old, trading Duc for FJ, and festooning it with accessories.

On a sidenote i tried to use iPhone with apps likeWaze (which is great around towns) to navigate but where I ride in pacific nw, much of the riding is remote(read gravel and unimproved roads) and they don't show up on those apps. So back to garmin.  

appreciate any help. The reason i don't run the garmin power off the accessory plug by instrument panel is i'm worried about water and a power let plug  (again Pnw thing called rain) but is that an issue? 

Endoz

• Premium Member
Any reason you didn't use the switched plug up front under the display? or are you already using it?

I'm not using the plug under the display because where i ride it rains a lot and i didn't know if a power let power plug would be waterproof. ? Or if it would short out something?

I've never had a bike with power let sockets before so i'm ignorant.

Endoz,

You're using an FZ-1 from Fuzeblocks.com?

I'm confused when you say you ran the switchable power wire off the yellow brake light wire. Running off the brake light wire would only be for triggering a relay. If you're running the Fuzeblocks brand power distribution box, it has it's own on-board relay, so you only need to hook it directly to the battery like this: Fuzeblocks FZ-1 diagram The 'switched' source feed is optional on the FZ-1 panel.

If you're running a more common power distribution box such as a Blue Sea, link you'd wire it similar to this example. If this is in fact the way you have it, your .07 volt yellow wire doesn't have enough voltage to trigger the relay. 

12Vrelay.jpg

BTW, you're doing the right thing by not using that cheezy 12v port by the gauges. Those things suck.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
I'm not using the plug under the display because where i ride it rains a lot and i didn't know if a power let power plug would be waterproof. ? Or if it would short out something?  
I've never had a bike with power let sockets before so i'm ignorant.

Excuse me if I am misunderstanding your comment, but there is a wiring harness with unused electrical connections under the electronics console. Yamaha provided a few for accessories that you can use. You may have to pull the windshield to get to it, but you should be able to plug your GPS into one of those connectors 

Note: I'm not talking about using the cigarette plug, but using the supplied unused wires provided by Yamaha.

Thanks for all the help, i think i've figured it out, the yellow wire is the brake light as stated above, not the tail light. Whats odd is that the GPS did work, and did show as charging at one point. Not sure what happened but i had a false sense of accomplishment!

I did know about the connecters for accessories under the panel but thought it'd be easier to tap into something close to the fuzebock.

Cheers

Endoz

Any reason you didn't use the switched plug up front under the display? or are you already using it?
I just bought my FJ this week and don't have a shop manual.    Could you tell me how to find this switched plug? 
Thanks,

Paul from Minnesota

Archived