Buzzing noise past 6K RPM from front/dash area

So when I wind the bike up past 6000RPM I'm getting a plasticy sounding buzz somewhere up in the front of the bike, either from the dash or somewhere in the fork tunnel area.

Something up there must be a little lose and ratting around.  I thought it was the little plastic brackets on the windscreen adjuster (which seem to be completely pointless!) - which you can see wobble around, but I taped them down as a test and it's not them.

Anyone know a typical culprit for this kind of rattle/buzz?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also get the buzzing noise described.  I have not yet been able to identify it.  My noise sounds exactly like the buzz that I frequently used to get from a speedometer cable or tach cable that needed lubricated.  As far as I know there are no such cables on the FJ.  I will keep looking until I find it.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

Try what I did and see if that works for you. Its easy to do and your not tearing everything apart just taking off the wind screen and adding small amount of lube to the two rubber gromits. I did add lube to the top of the 4 rubber screw holes as well.
Gonna give this a try , that buzzing/rattling from the dash area has driven me mad for months >:D , I've done the screen adjuster mod with the two rubber grommets to stop them rattling altho I still seem to keep tightening the adjusters on a regular basis. ::)  Cheers ;) 

I tried holding onto the windscreen while accelerating last night and I still got the buzz - but maybe that's not enough to stop it depending on where it's happening.

I'll try taking it off completely as a next test.

Also have a look at the side panels..... the left and right side panels after you take the tank ring off and the ones that the turn signals stick out from.

These have little push down round "tangs". When I had mine off, I found a few of them not push all the way down and tight and caused the plastic to rattle a bit. I like to pull things off..... inspect and for screws, etc.... put back on with blue loctite. Just something else to consider.

Yeah I'm surprised how much play there is with the fairings (coming from a "cheap" Honda CBR500R where everything was super solid and mounted to the frame with rubber vibration dampers). I'm going to give everything a good once over this weekend when I take off the screen.

• 1 month later...
Update: I still haven't figured out what's causing this noise and it's driving me nuts!

I took off the screen and it wasn't that. I took off the side fairings (including the gas tank surround), and it wasn't those either.

I checked all the front suspension pinch bolts and they're tight. I checked all hand guard bolts and they are also tight.

So by process of elimination I'm left with:
[ul type=disc][*]Something in the dash or headlight assembly.[*]A loose bolt or something else on the radiator
[*]Something internal to the steering tree or suspension.  I.e. a bearing or something in there.
[/ul]

I suffer from the same buzzing noise.  I think it may be the rods used to adjust the headlight.  I plan on trying something like heat shrink tubing to get rid of it.
I secured them tightly with thin plastic ratchet ties to eliminate them, still got it tho' even changed the hand guards to barkbusters, still got it, if anyone finds a cure let us in on the secret ;) 

Update: I still haven't figured out what's causing this noise and it's driving me nuts! 
I took off the screen and it wasn't that. I took off the side fairings (including the gas tank surround), and it wasn't those either.

I checked all the front suspension pinch bolts and they're tight. I checked all hand guard bolts and they are also tight.

So by process of elimination I'm left with:
[ul type=disc][*]Something in the dash or headlight assembly.[*]A loose bolt or something else on the radiator
[*]Something internal to the steering tree or suspension.  I.e. a bearing or something in there.
[/ul]

Steve-
You said that you removed the screen, but did you remove the adjusting mechanism?

Because those 2 plastic pieces which "guide" the windscreen as it moves up or down are NEVER fully secured. Check those maybe...

Skip

I had this issue and it really drove me mad. I located my issue, the right hand guard was vibrating and hitting another part of the assembly. In essence the blank plastic part of the guard was being hit by the colour part. A piece of double sided sticky foam tape stopped the plastic parts from contacting each other and no more buzzing noise.

Archived