Experience with Mexican Topes (speed bumps)?

I have ridden in Mexico a lot, but always on dual sport bikes or my Kawasaki Versys 650.    I'm a little concerned about riding my FJ-09 there because it has 1 1/2" less ground clearance than the Versys, and I'm worried about scraping the exhaust pipes etc on the topes (speed bumps).    The topes are everywhere in Mexico, they are impossible to avoid.    All different sizes and heights too.    Anyone on the board have experiece riding their FJ-09 in Mexico?    Any issues with the topes?     On the bikes with plenty of ground clearance, we use topes as an ideal place to pass cars, buses and trucks.   They all slow down to about 10 mph and we blast by at about 40.

• Premium Member
Wheelie over them? :)
you'll need a rocket powered bike like Evel Knievel to get over that wall soon
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
we have loads of speed bumps in the UK - one especially annoying bit past a school between the main road and my home where they are full width. On better roads they are pads you can go between.

I had to recalibrate from going over them on the Super Tenere without slowing down from the posted 30mph speed limit, or a bit more outside school times. No problem with ground clearance but the suspension is the limiting factor. I just dip the clutch which drops me down by 10mph. We do not have speed bumps on roads where the posted limit is over 30mph.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Make certain you have added one of the skid plate solutions to protect the vulnerable oil drain plug. I have scraped mine going over speed bumps at a walking pace.

Is there a listing somewhere of skidplates for the FJ09 ?

• Premium Member
Check out Higdonian in the vendor section. I picked up one of his engine cages with a skid plate, highly recommended. Looks great, super protection. I know there are some other like products out there, but his are as good as it gets.

Archived