Larger Rear tire fitment Issues & Effects on Handling

2and3cylinders

• Premium Member
I'm considering fitting a 190/55ZR-17 Roadsmart 2 rear tire.  Positives of doing so are speeding up steering (increasing rake) even over the effect I attained raising the fork tubes in the triple tree/clamps 5 mm (am a die hard sport rider), increased bump response and damping, and wider rear contact patch.

Should I worry about swing arm and fender clearance issues (doubtful on the latter)?

Diameter and width increases (hypothetically without verifying actual new tire dimensions between the OEM D222 and AM Roadsmart 2) will be:

Width Delta = (190 * .55 = 104.5) - (180 * .55 = 99) = 5.5 / 2 = 2.75 mm

Height Delta = 190 - 180 = 10 / 2 = 5 mm

IMO both dimension increases should result in negligible clearance issues.

Input is appreciated.

I have mounted 100's maybe 1000's of tires. In general it's a no no to install an oversize sport tire on too narrow a rim. Your rim is a 5.50X 17. The optimum rim for a 190/55-17 is 6.00- 6.25. Tire engineers work very hard on tire profiles, hence the recommend rim width. When a tire is mounted on a too narrow a rim, the profile is drastically changed. Most cases handling severely suffers, in some cases it's downright evil. But you can try it.
john

It's been several decades, but the last time I installed a wider tire, it slowed down the turn-in of my bike. I went back to OEM size on the next tire.

You can accomplish what you want by raising the forks in the triple clamps a few mm (free) or a longer shock ($$).

My thought is to always run the tire designed to work on the size rim I'm putting it on. I feel the tire engineers have a better idea of what works than I do.

Chassis set up tweaks for turn in, braking stability etc, can be done with suspension oil changes, spring rates, and fork height in the triples.

• Supporting Member
It's been several decades, but the last time I installed a wider tire, it slowed down the turn-in of my bike. I went back to OEM size on the next tire. 
You can accomplish what you want by raising the forks in the triple clamps a few mm (free) or a longer shock ($$).
Exactly my thought.   I have never heard of a bike handling better with a wider rear tire.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
The bike will handle like a pig.

In the UK, changing the rear tyre from the recommended spec. could provide an insurer with an excuse not to pay out on a claim. The insurer could argue that the incorrect tyre was a contributing factor to a loss of control leading to the incident.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

"If clearance is tight when you mount the tire, keep in mind it can still cause problems. Tires “grow” at speed. Temperature and centrifugal force cause a spinning tire to be measurably larger than one at rest.

Wide tires are not necessarily better. They usually “turn in” worse than a skinnier tire of the same make and model, and usually hurt fuel mileage. The common alteration of mounting a wider rear tire may make the bike harder to steer, even unpleasantly or unsafely so."

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/motorcycle-tires-101-guide

- lot of bikes there

Archived