Fender Eliminator + Wet Roads = Dirty Bike

You can probably file this under, Obvious Issues, but if you install a fender eliminator kit, and ride your bike on wet roads, it will get FILTHY!!! This mornings roads weren't even that wet, just lightly damp, but still. Like dirt on top of the pillion seat dirty. Like license plate covered in dirt filthy.

The tires are great, but they kick up a lot of stuff. To the point where I was scratching my head pondering the physics of how the heck dirt got in certain places. Fenda Extendas might help the underside of the tail a little bit, but I doubt they will make a substantial difference. Seriously folks, a 5 minute ride on less than perfectly dry roads, and you'll think you just finished riding a dirt track. The stock fender won't eliminate the issue, but it probably at least stops dirt from ending up ON TOP of the bike.

Solution? Well, if this is an issue for you, leave the stock fender alone. ;)

I've got a friend with a Benelli TNT600 that had removed the tail. He gets the same dirt treatment. So, that had me thinking on why the dirt are flung forward despite the wind which is blowing the opposite direction.

The rider body creates a vacuum (area of lower pressure relative to the surroundings) behind him as he cuts through the air. This lower pressure area sucks in the dirt that was thrown up by the rear tires.

My Versys is stock, and I do get a bit of a dirt on the Givi rear rack, but not on the rear seat. Maybe my skinny body is not creating enough vacuum, on another thought angle.

I've got a friend with a Benelli TNT600 that had removed the tail. He gets the same dirt treatment. So, that had me thinking on why the dirt are flung forward despite the wind which is blowing the opposite direction. 
The rider body creates a vacuum (area of lower pressure relative to the surroundings) behind him as he cuts through the air. This lower pressure area sucks in the dirt that was thrown up by the rear tires.

My Versys is stock, and I do get a bit of a dirt on the Givi rear rack, but not on the rear seat. Maybe my skinny body is not creating enough vacuum, on another thought angle.
Son of a... I can't believe I didn't figure that out. Makes sense. Same with the other parts of the bike. Wind turbulence throwing spray all over.  

Fig Jam: If you look at touring bikes, you will see that the rear fender comes down much further than on a FJ. Why? For the very reasons you noted. :)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 1 month later...
I bought the fenda extenda and the hugger extender. They should be here in a week or so. I'm hoping this will eliminate most of the issue. I'll likely do the mod for the flap covering the rear shock as well just to be thorough.

Archived