New to forums FJ09 rider in the DFW Area

dfwfj

IMG_8214_zpss9l7zych.jpg

IMG_8213_zpsmodcmh1a.jpg

IMG_8205_zpsrl1tfqec.jpg

IMG_8219_zpsjcaconfp.jpg

Had it since august 2016.  I love the bike, took it on a camping trip from dallas to las vegas.  May be looking to upgrade to a Super Tenere soon.

Addons:
1000 watt bluetooth speakers
Higdonin Crash Bars
2 10w flood lights
2 40watt spot lights
TPMS system
Vstream touring windscreen
Shad USA luggage
Sargent Seats

• Premium Member
I have both an FJ and a Tenere' and I love them both. Completely different bikes! I have ridden 120,000 mikes on the two Tenere I've owned and only a couple of thousand on the FJ so far. But I don't think one replaces the other. Not in my world yet anyway. We will see.

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

@dfwfj which top case is that? 
I agree the S10 is a really nice bike, just different niche than the FJ.

The top case is the shad SH40Ca. Good case I drilled a rotopax lock on the top and the aux gas tank sits perfectly on top. Sorry the pics arnt the best but here's some I had on my phone.

IMG_7676_zpslhdwjdsk.jpg

IMG_7740_zpscz3ezmzk.jpg

Im considering S10 for the following reasons:

-electric suspension (fiancé enjoys riding with me, right now I leave the suspension at the firmest setting even when I'm riding solo bc it's a hassle to adjust it, but with it left on the firmest setting the ride is bumpy for solo rides)
-bigger alternator (i have a volt meter on my Fj due to an overload of electronics, scared one day ill destroy the stator. I would ideally like to be able to have two sets of heated gear one for me and one for her, this isn't an issue in the summer though)
-bigger gas tank (frequent stops for gas on my most recent trip to Vegas)
-better comfort for long distance road touring

Those are the main reasons. I totally agree on the super tenere being a very heavy bike as a con. Even though it has better ground clearance than the FJ for off-road adventure touring I just don't see how it would be possible to take it on trails other than gravel/dirt roads due to its weight (unless you're very strong, tall, and skilled). I have ridden on plenty of dirt roads with the FJ in the Arizona area on the way to the Grand Canyon and it did fine. Sometimes a rock would scrape the skid plate but it was nothing serious.

Im still debating, so far the FJ has been doing just well with city commuting and weekend rides with my fiancé. It's really a great bike and it's my first bike into the adventure touring segment. I came from a cbr600rr and after owning the FJ will probabaly never buy another super sport bike again.

• Premium Member
You are right the electronic suspension is fantastic on the Super T. I must say that I did not think I would like the cruise control as much as I do. It's great!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, glad to have you join us. I agree that they are very different bikes, and If I had the option, I would keep both. I'm limited to one, so I'll stay with the FJ-09 for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived